1995 Tacoma

1995 Toyota Tacoma

3.6

3 out of 5 stars Comfort
4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 1995 Toyota Tacoma?

2wheel drive 5peed 4 cyl... Tested to the max

by tacoma owner from metropolitan washington, DC on Tue May 05 2009

I bought this truck brand-new 13 & 1/2 years and 324,000 miles ago! It has been my daily commuter most of the time thru DC and Chicagoland traffic. Only realy hauled stuff 1% of the time. But it will not die. never really broke down, minimal repairs, only started to rust this past year. (But was only garaged <2 out of 13 years.) Still can find most parts easy (except tires, cannot find name brand 14" tires any more) some parts like cat. converter & O2 sensors crazy expensive ($500/150) (Had to replace at 200,000 others parts last forever and are not bad... front brakes: lasted ~120,000 miles, rear brakes: ~200K, clutch: 225K, muffler/tailpipe: ~125K. Down-side: seats not comfortable, ride ruff/harsh, lots of body roll & understeer at low speeds, very easy to power oversteer (esp. in wet/snow)... very very bad traction... I mean literally one wheel (Right Rear) drive... very bad... almost dangerous... do not pull out in front of traffic with this... however cheap and reliable. I was always good on maint: mobil-1 every 6,000 plus BG services every 60K. with 324K+ still gets ~27 mpg hwy (down from ~29mpg the 1st 300K)... finally bought a new ride last week... must have a/c and rear seat and traction... end up just giving this one away...

Great Truck

by awardphoto from Birmingham, Al on Sun Jul 24 2011

This has been a fantastic truck. I purchased this 2005 Toyota Tacoma extended cab 4cyl 4x4 used from a friend in 2004 with 138,000 miles. I now have 253,000 miles on the truck and it still runs like the day I bought it. I have only had to complete a couple of repairs that I consider high dollar. Wheel bearings had to be replaced at about 170,000 and I had to replace a cracked exhaust manifold at about 230,000. Other than that, keep the oil changed and the truck will be bullet proof. I have considered moving up to a tundra for the room but I am just having a tough time getting rid of old faithful.

excellent product especially the engine

by camaroz from bothell washington on Wed Sep 29 2010

look for the 2.4 4 cylinder engine. Chain timing. 4x4 excellent in the snow. Keep the oil clean and plugs changed and this engine will run for ever.

RUSTed frame

by FenSum from CT on Thu Dec 16 2010

Yes, I've driven this since I bought it in 99. Yes, I've been happy up until this past year when the o2 sensors kept failing causing a near-permanently on 'check engine' light. Yes, it has 226,119 miles on it. And don't get me wrong, I love this truck. However, after hearing rumors that Toyota was doing 150% of Blue Book value back on rusted frames, (I never received a letter from Toyota) I took it for evaluation. Yes, the frame had rusted. No, Toyota was not going to honor their 'warrantee' because I was 90 days over 15 years from original purchase price. Toyota's own service manager vouched that the frame had obviously been rusting for about 2 years. But no, Toyota WOULD NOT budge on this issue. Of course their maximum cost to me would have been aprox. $2,200, which I'd intended to roll over into a new Tacona and told them so. Instead, the rude 'case manager' and her superiors stated it was 'such a small amount' that they didn't know why we were making an issue of it. Toyota loyalty terminated in one phone call. I've heard other rumblings about Toyota not standing behind warrantee items; brakes, radiators, etc. But I thought something as vital to it's driver's safety as the FRAME would have received better treatment. If you like the Toyota product, I'm with you.. *usually* reliable, fun, attractive design. But if you should have a problem, COUNT on being abandoned by Toyota. I just won't buy another. Will you?

Does not recommend this car!!

95 tacoma 4x4

by tacoma owner from Lancaster, PA on Wed Jan 11 2012

I've owned my Tacoma for 15 years now and throughout its lifetime I've put it thriugh quite a bit of abuse. It now has over 268k miles and so far no major issues. For its age and milage I'm still aveaging 21mpg with the 3.4l v6 and xtra cab. I've had cars with half the miles and age that has not held up near as well.

Our Take on the 1995 Toyota Tacoma

Pickup trucks have now become just as important to automakers' bottom lines as passenger cars.

So Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., has introduced an American-built 1995 1/2 Toyota Tacoma compact pickup that features three new engines and a new chassis.

Available in both regular and extended-cab models, and in two- and four-wheel- drive configurations, the Tacomas are built in the Japanese automaker's New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc., plant in Fremont, Calif.

The truck business is geared toward individuals, so NUMMI is building the Tacomas with a variety of engine and chassis combinations that amount to a "build your own" pickup.

The three engine offered are unusual for a truck, since... Read More