Read or write a review.

1999 Toyota Tacoma

1999 Toyota Tacoma

Change Year
Average based on 17 reviews

Toughest Truck I've owned!

by from Arizona on August 1, 2009

Of the 5 trucks and over a dozen cars (all various brands) I've owned, this extended cab 4x4 V6 5sd stick, is by far the toughest vehicle I've owned! I now have over 200K and the only things I've done other than normal maintenance/wear items like timing belt, struts/shocks, fluids/filters, tires, brakes, batteries (4) and plugs/wires are the springs (front and rear) and starter at about 110K. I get normally get 19 to 23mpg, over 65mph or loaded, mileage is considerably reduced. The power is OK for every day driving but once there is any type of load it works very hard to keep up. With a head wind and a slight incline on the interstate it is sometimes hard to stay above the minimum speed limit with a loaded trailer! However, the truck is very stable with all loads and all conditions. The 4wd system is one of the best! Nothing has stopped this truck; under rivers, over boulder mountains, 26" of snow or mud as deep as the grill! On the down side the turning radius is excessive. The interior is spartan, but laid out and works well. At 6'2" there is good room, but the seats offer no lumbar support. I've had the AC blow 38F degrees at 116F Phoenix heat! The only other down side about this truck is the body metal is very thin and dents easy. I've test drove new Tacomas/Tundras but do not like the interiors and all the extra useless plastic. I will wait another 100K for Toyota to build real truck again. I have had other trucks make it to 200K but were sold for junk, this truck is still in good shape and next week I will be towing a trailer from CA to ME and back with no mechanical worries.

Wouldn't Buy Any Other Truck

by from Florida on June 7, 2010

We have Tacoma 2.7ltr 4x4s at all our company offices. From day one they are heavily tasked to pull 3k lb trailers across all terrains and interstates. Wouldn't have any other vehicle. To bad Toyota changed this excellant truck. After 175k miles we retire them. Employees stand in line to buy these from us. I drive a 99 with 220,000 on it and love it. Still gets 23 mpg in thg city. Frequently tasked to pull my son and friends Jeeps out of the rough stuff.

You cannot go wrong!!!

by from dallas on October 1, 2012

I purchased this truck (sr5, v6, 4wd, x cab) used with 32k. I currently have 141k. I have replaced struts, shocks, hoses, water pump, timing belt, and recently a starter. The starter was the only thing that I was a little disappointed in having to replace. Not too bad with that many miles. The other items wear out typically sooner on the vehicle that I have previously owned. I typically get around 19 mpg and the best was 23 on a long hunting trip. Everything still works flawlessly. Looking for a 2013 because I need a bigger cab for kids. Otherwise, I would not get rid of it.

Most Reliable

by from San Diego, Ca on March 26, 2012

I bought our 1999 2.7 5-speed manual, X-cab 4x4 new. Current milege 153,000. Excluding tires and batteries, oil changes and normal service, I've spent less than $2,000 on parts. Front brakes lasted 93 k, rear brakes are original with 4mm remaining at its 150K service. The white paint is as shiny as new. We use in to explore the desert in So Calif and running errands since I retired two years ago. Since I don't like the body style of the 2006 forward I will probably keep it until it or I die.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Owned 98 and 99 TRD PreRunners

by from Phoenix, AZ on February 17, 2011

Have never had an issue. Great reliability and love the look of the truck. 4x4 look w/ 2wd insurance

best thing to happen to my life

by from bakersfield ca on October 23, 2014

my dad handed down this truck to me and its has been put thru some serious pain everything you can think of from racing to 9 hours straight hauling a packed trailer it has done everything i have needed it to do and more with out a problem (the t3/t4 turbo helps too) and im almost at 300k miles original engine and basic maintenance i plan to have this truck till the day i die

My sixth Toyota

by from Yarmouth, Maine on February 10, 2008

I accidentally bought my first Toyota in 1974 (my first car and I thought I wanted a VW) and I've owned Toyotas ever since. This Tacoma is my first truck and it is amazingly reliable. Except for regular maintenance, oil changes and tune-ups, it has cost me nothing. This is a 4cyl, 4x4, ext. cab, pretty loaded. Sadly it doesn't have power mirrors and the driver's side seat belt sticks when I pull it out to fasten it, and the seat belts are both uncomfortable on smaller people. I get about 27 MPG summer and 20 winter (depending somewhat on how much time I let it warm up in the morning.) As with my other Toyotas I've had some quirky electrical issues that often mysteriously correct themselves. Overall, though, with 140,000 miles on it this is a great truck. One thing, if you have a standard transmission, as mine is, and you start to have problems with the clutch, don't let anyone talk you into an $800.00 repair without first checking under the dash where the clutch pedal unit attaches. Instead of being welded in place that unit is fastened by a single screw to the firewall (above the pedals) If that screw comes loose or falls out the entire clutch unit becomes loose and the clutch won't engage and shows every symptom of needing repair. This can happen very slowly and pretty soon you may be needing to press the clutch bypass switch in order to start the vehicle. Look underneath, above the pedal, move the pedal and find where the unit attaches. Make sure that screw is in tight. I had two garages give me estimates on this before I took a look up under the dash. I replaced the screw and had a brand new clutch. Oh, What a Feeling!

Hard to beat

by from SF on July 16, 2011

These are bullit proof trucks. I've owned tacpma's sense 1981 and have had only great service and reliability from these trucks with only very minor issues.

Found My Dream Truck

by from Marysville, Washington on February 22, 2010

Looked over 6 months for this Tacoma truck. Lucked out and found this near perfect model and year. Drives well except for a little too much flexibility probably due to its number of miles and years on the road. I love the length of the bed and the color green. The 4-wheel drive will come in handy in the snow, still has great power with the 6-cylinders and perfect automatic transmission for this mature female driver. I found my dream truck off the beaten path. Would recommend it to anyone needing a small truck for general home use.

Toyota Tacoma

by from on May 11, 2011

Excellent Truck, recomend to everybody. Next time again I will consider to buy Tacoma it last long and reliable.

Similar Models