2000 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews

2000 Toyota Tacoma
Average based on 16 reviews

Good Off Road and Reliable,

by from Colorado on January 12, 2009

I've bought my to use as a work, commuter, and reacreational truck. I didn't want a full size because of the off roading I do when hunting. It tows okay for the size of it, I use it to tow my 18 foot Bass Boat and Pop-Up trailer. If your going to tow I recommend the manual transmission because the auto does not come with transmission cooler. I also recommed getting the TRD option because of the rear lockers incase if your ever really stuck. The 4x4 after market accessories is the best for Toyota too. Toyota is the best in ground clreance too, it will be higher than any other brand when you're talking about stock except for the Hummer H1.

possibly the most reliable truck I;ve owned

by from Burlingame ,California on September 5, 2009

this vehicle is a small toyota tacoma pickup which I have owned now for two years.it has 44,000 original miles on the smallest 4 cylinder 5 speed they made in year 2000.It runs very well ,and looks even better .mileage is around 19-23 mpg on reg gas.driveability is average and the antilock breaks take longer than Iam used to to stop in a high speed emergency situation,although at speeds under 50 mph braking is less worrisome,and the truck is not carrying any heavy loading nor towing any trailers. the amenities of the driver consist of air conditioning ,heater, defroster..the heating and cooling capacities are far more than is needed and would work well in a cabin twice the cubic footage.the am fm cassette radio even with door speakers is increasingly difficult to hear at road speeds above 20 mph due to engine and wind noises,and above 50mph conversation with passengers also becomes very difficult. all considered plusses and minuses this little truck appears well put together it is rattle free at the present time but in 100,000 more miles we'll see. I use the pickup for road trips of less than 100 miles and put about 5-6-thousand miles per year on my vehicles carrying bicycles ,groceries camping gear .the miscelleanous things like instruments and controls are adequate and lacking any difficulties of operation.under hood inspection is well placed everything important is placed at hand and visually apparent at a glance.I do miss a night light under hood for those nightly pit stops at the local fill up.

Best Configurable Transport Appliance

by from West Palm Beach, FL on April 11, 2009

I bought this 5-speed, 4WD, regular cab truck with a topper in 2001 from a friend who was moving to a "need for car not indicated" city. Since then, it has been the most reliable, most useful, and most configurable appliance I've ever had for carting my lazy tail, stuff, boats, etc. up and over mountains, into rivers, lakes, and oceans, and to work. It has required only the usual maintenance service and basic repairs for damage that I have caused directly. Read the manual and follow the instructions. It barely shows signs of wear at 100k, so I'm expecting to keep using it until parts or petro-chemicals are no longer available or someone here in South Florida steals or kills it. With an attached ScanGauge I can coax 22 MPG out of it, or ignore efficiency and bottom out at about 17 MPG. Power is a little more than sufficient with the 2.7 litre 4-cylinder, Mobil 1 synthetic oil, and a stock sized K&N air filter. It tows trailer loads nicely and I've hauled multiple loads of steaming fertilizer in the truck bed for raised bed gardens, apparently without damaging it. 4x8 sheets of ply and such are a minor challenge, but surmountable with roof racks or strategically placed bar clamps if placed in the bed with the topper on. As SUVs go, it's reasonably small, efficient, useful, and can make crazed South Florida u-turns in 3 lanes with complete direction change. I'm a bit afraid of losing it as the Tacoma model seems to have puffed up and gotten uglier in recent model years. One more note - I can do the minor under-car service myself without jackstands, ramps, etc. because of its ground clearance. Nice truck, good value, reasonably comfortable, and highly functional!

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Most reliable vehicle on earth.

by from Northern Minnesota on October 21, 2010

This was the most reliable vehicle vehicle I have ever owned. Nothing breaks on these things! I had SR5 V6 extra cab 4WD. I owned it for 5 years and about 60k miles. The vehicle was great off road, got decent mileage, and never broke down. I drove it to work. I took long trips. I took it hunting. I towed my Jeep with it. I towed trailers full of firewood. It spent pretty much all winter in 4WD... I drove the heck out of this thing and it never missed a beat. All I did was change the oil every 5K miles and did the brakes at around 110k miles. Only bad thing was mine had the frame rust-thru...just a tiny little hole..probably would've been fine... except Toyota made me such a great offer to buy it back, I couldn't pass it up. They bought it back this spring for $120 less than I paid for it in the spring of 2004! I've since bought an old '99 Chevy Silverado 4WD. It was a basket case, but the price was right. I've already fixed several things on it and it's almost coming around to the point where I can trust it, but I still miss my Taco. :(

Great reliable Truck

by from Lafayette LA on November 13, 2008

I have over 250,000 miles on this truck and it has never failed me. Runs great, and gas is not bad. (V6) The seats arent the best, but this isnt a luxary vehicle and the interior could be bigger. I can't complain for this price and not having to replace part after part like most vehicles with these miles. Highly recommended.

Great Truck

by from Decatur, IL on June 1, 2009

I Purchased this truck in 2003. It had 27,000 miles on it. It now has 73,000 miles. All I have done is routine service and tires. This is the 4X2 xtracab with the 2.7L 4 and the 5 speed manual trans. It gets close to 30 MPG on the road and I have had no problems at all. I might keep this truck forever!!

Best car I have ever owned

by from Naoles, FL on February 13, 2012

Best car I have ever had. I am looking to buy another truck if I could find an honest Dealer. It is a great work truck for a four banger.

Best truck ever

by from Gulfport, MS on February 29, 2008

Powerful v6, handles great. Best vehicle I have ever owned. In 50 years when this one goes I will get another!

A great reliable truck

by from Boston, MA on June 18, 2007

I've owned two Toyota Tacomas and I keep going back to them. By far the best truck - the size of it is perfect and its very dependable.

Almost reliable

by from Ellington CT on April 25, 2008

Purchased new mainly on recommendations as a reliable vehicle. Has low mileage, 28,000. However, not happy having to replace right front tie rod, some windshield rubber moulding came out. But expect it will give me a long life. Not a recall but Toyota has a bulletin regarding frame rust. Mine does not qualify due to low mileage, but Toyota extended warranty for 15 years.