Model Details

2001 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews

Average based on 14 reviews

Excellent Vehicle

by from Florida on April 15, 2009

I bought this truck new and now have 182,300 miles. I'm getting about 19 mpg overall with the V-6 and automatic. Up to now, normal maintenance except for a intake manifold gasket at 82,000 mi. This truck is very reliable and after all these miles, still uses no oil between changes (every 4000 mi.) It is also very easy on tires - 62,000 mi. original set, 87,000 mi.on second set, and have 37,000 on this set with many more to go. I would recommend this truck to anyone!

There is no other vehicle I would own.

by from Southwestern Michigan on September 19, 2011

This is my second Tacoma. My last one was a 1998 which I bought new. The only thing wrong with that truck is the frame rusted out at 200,000 miles. Toyota Motor Co. realized Tacoma's frames were prone to rust so they offer a 15 year warranty on them. Who else has done this? Toyota bought my truck back for a more than fair price! I live in Michigan and I am used to cars rusting out. I know Toyota had a spell of recalls, but I believe the quality in all Toyota's can't be beat. And to offer such a warranty... I will be a Toyota owner for life.

Wayne Suiter

by from San Diego, CA on August 2, 2006

I've owned this truck for 2 years & it's the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. It has 100,000+ miles on it & I've only had to change the oil, tires, shocks & other minor items.

Tacoma

by from on January 22, 2009

My 2001 Tacoma is a SR5 with 4 wheel drive and a supercharger option. Boy does it make a difference. I'm pulling around 300hp!!! I totally recommend.

Great Car OverAll

by from Augusta, GA on April 20, 2008

I bought this truck back in Jan. 2004 & have had for 4 years now. So far only had recall on catalytic converter which Toyota paid for under 70,000 powertrain warranty, had a max airflow sensor to go out cost about $400 but I consider that to be standard maintenance. Other than that good truck. The only thing is that with the V6 190hp it struggles to pull 16ft. fish/ski boat. Have to take it out of overdrive and waste alot of gas. But just for driving back and forth to work and carrying around wife and 2 kids it would be great. Also got a great deal on it and toyota really holds its value.

Good Solid Vehicle

by from Bishop, California on September 1, 2012

This truck replaced an older Toyota truck and it has done that very well. The truck has less than 100,000 miles and with those miles is essentially like new. It gets in the low 20's of miles per gallon with the 3.4 liter V6. Is comfortable at highway speeds on steep mountain grades where I live and easily pulls a cabin sailboat. It had a factory radio which I replaced with a more capable more modern model. I often use the back seats in my extended cab and, although not luxurious, they have been comfortable for the passengers that had ridden there. At this age and miles all the electric doors and windows work perfectly. I am very happy with this truck and expect to keep in for many years.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Best car I have ever owned!

by from Charlotte, NC on August 12, 2011

Been very pleased with my purchase 10 years ago! No other car I have ever owned can touch it as for affordability and upkeep!

You can't buy a better truck

by from South Carolina on May 11, 2011

I have 4 Toyotas right now. I won't buy anything else. Resale is great and never any problems with any of mine. Those recalls were just Rocky Bama trying to sell more Dodges. There was never any problems.

Tacoma Excellence through mediocraty

by from Chicago on January 29, 2009

This truck, while not doing anything exceptional is a good and reliable truck that will give you years and years of reliable transportation for you and anything else you want to throw in there.

best truck value on the market

by from melbourne fl on August 11, 2006

this truck has the reliability you need in every day life plus touch button four wheel drive when driving conditions turn rough comfrt good looks and dependability are the reason i buy toyota trucks every few years . these trucks always hold their value and sell for over book values because of it buy with confidence and enjoy your toyota tacoma new or used