2001 Toyota Tacoma

Excellent Vehicle

by from Florida on April 15, 2009

I bought this truck new and now have 182,300 miles. I'm getting about 19 mpg overall with the V-6 and automatic. Up to now, normal maintenance except for a intake manifold gasket at 82,000 mi. This truck is very reliable and after all these miles, still uses no oil between changes (every 4000 mi.) It is also very easy on tires - 62,000 mi. original set, 87,000 mi.on second set, and have 37,000 on this set with many more to go. I would recommend this truck to anyone!

There is no other vehicle I would own.

by from Southwestern Michigan on September 19, 2011

This is my second Tacoma. My last one was a 1998 which I bought new. The only thing wrong with that truck is the frame rusted out at 200,000 miles. Toyota Motor Co. realized Tacoma's frames were prone to rust so they offer a 15 year warranty on them. Who else has done this? Toyota bought my truck back for a more than fair price! I live in Michigan and I am used to cars rusting out. I know Toyota had a spell of recalls, but I believe the quality in all Toyota's can't be beat. And to offer such a warranty... I will be a Toyota owner for life.

280,000 miles

by from Central Alabama on March 4, 2014

I purchased this truck new. It was a "leftover" right after the 02 models came out and is my 8th Toyota truck, going back to the 1975 model I purchased new. So far we have experienced no issues with this truck, no even alternators or clutch. More power would be nice but if you are willing to shift gears, it is adequate and the gas mileage consistency runs around 24.9 mpg. Paint has faded and it will be necessary to repaint soon. Other than that, I expect this truck to go at least another 100K and at that time is will be flat worn out and more valuable for salvage parts. Current mileage is 280,000.

Tacoma

by from on January 22, 2009

My 2001 Tacoma is a SR5 with 4 wheel drive and a supercharger option. Boy does it make a difference. I'm pulling around 300hp!!! I totally recommend.

Wayne Suiter

by from San Diego, CA on August 2, 2006

I've owned this truck for 2 years & it's the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. It has 100,000+ miles on it & I've only had to change the oil, tires, shocks & other minor items.

Good Solid Vehicle

by from Bishop, California on September 1, 2012

This truck replaced an older Toyota truck and it has done that very well. The truck has less than 100,000 miles and with those miles is essentially like new. It gets in the low 20's of miles per gallon with the 3.4 liter V6. Is comfortable at highway speeds on steep mountain grades where I live and easily pulls a cabin sailboat. It had a factory radio which I replaced with a more capable more modern model. I often use the back seats in my extended cab and, although not luxurious, they have been comfortable for the passengers that had ridden there. At this age and miles all the electric doors and windows work perfectly. I am very happy with this truck and expect to keep in for many years.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

2001 Toyota S-Runner 185,000 miles

by from Poconos, Pa on March 9, 2013

After 5 months of searching for the exclusive "S-Runner" Tacoma, I found only 7 were for sale in the whole USA. I bought mine from a dealer in W.Virginia over 200 miles from me. It had 169,000 miles on it. Bought it for $8K in 2009. Great deal! The S-Runner comes fully loaded with a V-6, manual trans and 2-wheel drive. This is how they came, not many options. Even the colors available,,, black or red. No chrome to be found anywhere. These were built for "Sport". They handle extremely well, except for right hand tight turns,,, it likes to smoke the right rear tire. I wish they all came with a limited slip differential (LSD). Shortly after purchasing it. they recalled it and replaced the frame and plenty of hardwear too. My old 1987 Toyota extra cab 2-wheel drive truck rusted out too much for the road, so I gave it to a friend to use on his farm. I owned that truck for 14 years and it NEVER let me down. That is why I wanted another sporty truck such as this. So far, so good. I just replaced the timing belt, pully's, water pump, hoses and belts. So this will last another 90K miles before it will need any major work. I run this truck very hard. Will have to upgrade to drilled rotors, performance pads and stainless steel lines for better stopping power. It handles awesomely around turns. It does not like snow, or even much wet pavement. Not for off road at all. It is a street machine. Been getting about 20 MPG, even at sustained highway speeds. Was thinking about selling it for a 4x4, but I really like this S-Runner. It is a rare vehicle. And that makes me like it even more! I do all the work on all of my vehicles. A tip for the do it yourselfer: for doing the timing belt/water pump, remove all of the belt tensioners and use solvent to clean all the threads and use anti-seize compound on them! My A/C tensioner was froze, and what a pain it was. Conclusion: Great fun and dependable truck. I would buy it again in a heartbeat! It retails now for over $7K privately and dealer would sell for $8,755 according to cars.com. First thing I'd do is get a LSD in the rear! I did upgrade to a K&N air intake system as well as a full exhaust system . Hope this helps you in your search!

Tacoma Excellence through mediocraty

by from Chicago on January 29, 2009

This truck, while not doing anything exceptional is a good and reliable truck that will give you years and years of reliable transportation for you and anything else you want to throw in there.

You can't buy a better truck

by from South Carolina on May 11, 2011

I have 4 Toyotas right now. I won't buy anything else. Resale is great and never any problems with any of mine. Those recalls were just Rocky Bama trying to sell more Dodges. There was never any problems.

Best car I have ever owned!

by from Charlotte, NC on August 12, 2011

Been very pleased with my purchase 10 years ago! No other car I have ever owned can touch it as for affordability and upkeep!

Our Expert Review: 2001 Toyota Tacoma