2002 Tacoma

4.4 out of 5 starsPerformance
4.5 out of 5 starsExterior Styling
4.8 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.7 out of 5 starsReliability

Great truck for the money

by Toyota Owner from Spokane, Washington on July 4, 2007

I purchased my 2002 Tacoma extended cab, V-6, TRD, 4wd new. I now have 50,000 miles on it and it has been a great vehicle. The ride quality is fairly stiff with the light weight and the TRD package, but if you are on smooth roads it has a smooth, quiet ride for a truck. I think it should get better gas mileage being a mid-size; after adding a K&N air filter I average 18 city/hwy combined. The interior is user friendly but simplistic. Although it has all power options, AC, and a CD player, I would consider it to be on the lower end of modern vehicle luxuries. The seats are comfortable and can easily be tolerated for long drives. Overall, if you do not need a fancy interior or large towing capacity this is probably the best truck you can buy, not to mention the enormous resale value!

Liked it so much I bought TWO of them

by Twin Taco's from Va on April 16, 2012

I bought a new Tacoma Quad cab 4x4 in 2000 and Loved it. I drove it for 3 years and I thought I needed a bigger Quad Cab for our new addition to the family so I traded it for a 2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4. Bigger is not always better!!! In late 2011 I sold my Dodge and purchased a 2002 Tacoma Quad Cab 4x4 almost exactly like the one I had new in 2000, same color and everything. I liked this truck so much I've owned two of them. My wife says I'm nuts and I should have kept my first one all along. It's not very often I agree with her but this time I do. I love the body style, the ride, and the feeling of having something smaller conserving gas vs. the HEMI and still have room for BOTH kids now. In a smaller truck the Tacoma has everything I want and need. BTW: I am a mechanic and don't mind at all tweeking under the hood on my Tacoma contrary to beliefs that tradesmen don't like working on their own. One lesson I did learn is that educations are expensive, no matter what you learn there is always a cost. I wish I never traded my 2000 in for a dodge, I regret it...

LaWanda

by sevenn8910 from Georgia on April 3, 2010

This is the 2.7L TRD 4x4 and it is the best pickup truck I have ever owned, closely followed by her older sister Wanda, a 1993 4x4 pickup. Never a mechanical problem and comfortable in the cabin, she is what all compact PU's should strive to be. The 5 speed manual trans. shifts easily, the 4 cyl. engine provides good power and she has the locking rear differential which has been useful several times in wet GA clay, the slickest substance around. The only fault: 21 MPG

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

GOOD TACO

by BEEZIE from WARREN MA on October 3, 2009

I TRADED AN 04 COLORADO WITH 60,000 MILES ON IT AND GOT A 02 TACO WITH 111,000 ON IT. I HAVE HAD LESS TROUBLE WITH THE OVER A 100,000 MILE TOYOTA THAN A 30,000 MILE CHEVY I'M SOLD FOR LIFE ON TOYOTA. ONLY PROBLEM IS THE BED IS NOT AS DEEP AS THE CHEVY COME ON TOYOTA MAKE A DEEPER BED!

Uses car for Off-roading

Awesome truck

by Guiller from New Mexico on April 13, 2012

First Toyota I ever owned and is the best vehicle I ever owned. Bougth the 2wd v6 prerunner used, and have driven it almost 200k for work in the desert, mountains, snow, mud, dust, rough roads, interstates, and this thing is amazing. Seems to run better with the increasing miles. With the positrack I have never been stuck anywhere, I wouldn't even consider a 4wd because the posi is good enough for me and get better gas mileage. Would never consider another truck.

Most Reliable Vehicle I have ever owned

by Lunar Mist Metallic Tacoma from Virginia on March 24, 2008

Toyota is doing something right on their Tacoma product line. They are the most durable, dependable, and longest lasting vehicles on the market. The interior is "stripped" compared to standard vehicles today ex: CD player is optional, trip odometer is optional, along with the in dash clock. The only two areas I believe Toyota needs to improve in are the features and interior design.

Easy to own.

by bp from Kansas City, KS on May 6, 2008

I purchased it used with 30k miles and put an additional 46k miles on the clock. It's very reliable, the head was replaced under warranty due to an oil leak and I replaced the coolant stem gasket and battery. It's been flawless in operation.

First new vehicle. Best vehicle Ever!

by SVJim from Spring Valley Ca on July 10, 2015

After years of having used cars and "work" trucks ( where you constantly work on them ) I bought a brand new 2002 Tacoma Extended cab with the 2.4 4 cly. and 5 speed manual. It is the most reliable vehicle I ever owned. It's 2015 now and it has 137 K on it and other than normal maintanence ( oil, filter and cooling system flushes, tires) I have put a set of front pads and a O2 sensor. That's it. It runs like the day I bought it, totally reliable and is one very comfortable truck to drive. The wife says "Buy a new truck" I say "Why? This truck has taken good care of me. Why get rid of it?" I'll will drive this truck till either I or it dies and I think the truck will still be going.

Reliable 4x4

by LikeTacomas from Oklahoma City, OK on October 30, 2011

Have owned 2 Tacomas - both have been very trouble free, reliable and economical. My current Tacoma is an '03 Double-Cab V6, automatic, with a matching camper shell. It's a four wheel drive with Hi-Lo transfer case - great in mud/snow or rough stuff. It has been a great trouble-free and good-looking vehicle. I have been asked several times by complete strangers if I would be willing to sell. MPG is approx. 21/22 on the road. First Tacoma I had was a extended cab - I bought the Double-Cab for the additional passenger room.

never broke down

by truck mamma from Durham NC on January 1, 2013

I bought it at 40K miles, drove it on many vacations, now I've got 146K miles on it, and not once has it ever broke down. Amazing! And the 4WD got me out of incredible predicaments, it never failed even when one wheel was over the edge.

1 2 3