2005 Tacoma

4.5 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Terrific Truck

by green builder from North Carolina on January 5, 2011

I bought the 2005 2wd longbed doublecab. It has been an absolutely terrific truck. No problems, despite being in a serious accident when it was just 4 months old. I had a great shop do the work, all Toyota replacement parts, completely checked and double checked. It has had NO issues all these years. I have had no engine or other repairs, just normal maintenance these 5+ years. I love it, a very versatile vehicle. I have towed very heavy loads of stone and moved my kids household across the mountains with the largest 6x12 trailer that U-haul rents. Not an issue for this truck. We have used it for family vacations and the real back seat was a decent ride for the long trips. The longbed has been so useful hauling so much stuff, I'm so thankful I did not get talked into the shorter version. Turning radius is large so you must take care parking, but it's not really an issue most of the time. The truck rides smooth and quiet, good simple controls. Good mileage for a useful truck. Did I say I love this truck??? I just bought another one because I need a 4x4, but to tell you the truth I have never gotten this 2wd vehicle stuck. Maybe I should sell the new one and keep old faithful another 150,000 miles.

What a great truck!

by DestructoTex from Texas on June 8, 2008

Have had my Tacoma for three years with no major problems. I love to drive it, and so does my wife. The only issues I have with it are: - it's too powerful for its weight, which causes the rear wheels to slide when starting on wet pavement - mud flaps keep breaking off when going through car washes - replacement mud flap are a really steep $80 apiece - cd player does not read mp3 discs - no audio input jack for mp3 player

2005 Tacoma double cab long bed 4x4.

by ER guy from Cleveland on October 28, 2010

I bought the 2005 Tacoma double cab long bed 4X4 model purely for practical reason: home owner, can take up to 5 people, can tow the camping trailer and can deal the Cleveland's winter snow. Or this model Tacoma meets my needs. It is a long truck, good thing is it is better ride and stable. The bad thing is difficult to get in a tight parking spot. So I always park far away from store entrance with a few cars around. I can use some walk anyway, especially when I just bought the ice cream. The truck has 4 L V6. It is a very capable engine. Amazing thing is when I drive around 40 mph, the tachometer shows just around 1200 rpm, like a V8 engine. I get average 19-20 mpg. better than most V6 truck or SVU. I have replaced the alternator at 134K miles beside other routine maintenance. It is not cheap, Part costs $420, it is OME alternator. The shop told me that I was a unlucky one, since the original OME alternator will out live the truck most the time. There are some cheaper alternators on the internet, but quality are questionable. So I would rather to pay a couple hundred of dollars more. Anyway, if you want to buy a truck, Tacoma is the one worth to take a look.

I love 'em so much, I bought two Doublecabs.

by 2Tacomafamily from Kansas City, MO on August 13, 2006

I was immediately taken with the styling of the 2005 Tacoma Doublecab, but was even more pleased with the ride quality of the Bilstein-tuned suspension of the TRD Sport package. The 4.0L - 245 horsepower DOHC V6 has excellent low-end torque, accelerates very quickly and maintains aggressive highway speeds effortlessly. Seating is comfortable and sporty. I've hauled up to 1300 pounds in the composite bed with no problem at all. The '05 Tacoma Doublecab is a striking vehicle and it has inspired complete strangers to stop and ask me about it. I've purchased nearly 20 vehicles (new and used) over the last 25 years, and without a doubt, this is the best overall vehicle ownership experience I've ever had. Period.

Fantastic, with an exception

by The Rev from Provincetown, MA on November 7, 2009

A great truck, with one notable exception: it is light. It will hydroplane easiy, with the back fishtailing. Not good in heavy rain with cross winds on the road. Otherwise, I love it.

Love my Tacoma

by Kayaker Bob from St. Paul, MN on June 11, 2012

Just traded my 93 Ford Ranger on this 2005 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dual cab and love it. It is 4x2 with locking rear differential (which I haven't used yet) and is a real step up from the Ranger. It has power everything and remote entry while the Ranger had none of that. So far it is getting 21-22 mpg in combination of city/highway driving which I am well pleased with having expected something in the mid teens considering it is a V6. I do love the extra power that the V6 delivers. It runs well and looks great, though I did have it in the body shop to fix some dings and a couple of rust spots on the roof, of all places. Other than that, I've been totally satisfied with it in the 2 months I've had it. I've probably driven a couple thousand miles so far. I'm hoping to get the kind of life for this vehicle that I found for this model while doing my research before the purchase: 200k plus.

2005 toyota tacoma

by Xtremebowhunter from Somerset,MA on April 25, 2012

Great truck with V6 has plenty of power. Great on gas 19-21mph. Very reliable, sporty, and comfortable to drive. My only complant would be the composite built-in bed does squeak from time to time.

closest to what I was looking for

by traditionalist from Massachusetts on July 21, 2014

Great vehicle. True switchable 2W <->4W drive instead of AWD (preferred by me). Actually I'd still like the manually locking hubs. Couldn't get that with this year. Manual transmission OF COURSE - no other option with a truck being able to apply torque at the right moment when stuck in the snow or mud. Price was all over the board for the same SRS extended cab model, mileage and year from 11,500 to $19,800. I was about middle of the line. It only had one previous owner which was great. checked out well. aside from 83K miles it truly looked new.

Uses car for Off-roading

Awesome pickup for family of four

by Hawk Driver from Bismarck, NC on July 24, 2009

Our family loves our 05 Double Cab with a longbox. There is a lot of room inside for two carseats in the back and all the stuff that we have to have available for them. We love the 6 foot box and the 4x4 for our harsh winters (ND). Great reliability and it is a Toyota, so you get a truck that will last you many, many carefree years.

Love it!

by Tacomania from Nebraska on April 15, 2011

It is exactly what you'd hope. Reliable, effective, comprehensive. Not overdone or underdone. What you want when buying a Tacoma.

1 2 3 4