Read or write a review.

2003 Toyota Tundra

2003 Toyota Tundra

Change Year
Average based on 21 reviews

Best Truck I've ever owned!

by from biloxi on December 23, 2008

I bought my tundra with 48k in 2006! Best truck I've ever owned. I have owned an 04 F350 dually which had left me stranded 3 times. Previously owned an 03 chevy Z71 that also had a few problems. Transmission was a big issue. But I have owned my tundra ever since then with no problems. Just brakes and oil changes. Typical things to stay on top of. The 03 and up is the best year to buy simply because it had larger brakes heavier duty and the transmission doesn't have problems much like the 00-02's. The truck is a truly refined truck that handles and rides much like a car. The interior is nice and sound. It may not be as big as full size trucks are today but it makes up for it in comfort and reliability! I suggest buying an 03 and up tundra to anyone looking to by this generation Tundra. Great truck!

Dream truck

by from northern Colorado on December 29, 2010

Wanted one of these trucks for years. Needed it for outdoor lifestyle and towing 18' camper. Shopped for 4 months before I found a one-owner well-kept vehicle in my price range. Worth every penny paid - rides better than my 2001 4Runner, gets consistent 15 mpg in stop/go mountain driving, and tows the camper like a dream. Wish Toyota still made this version of the Tundra.

Ex-American Truck Buyer

by from Duncanville, Tx. on January 26, 2010

I'd rather push a Toyota Tundra then drive a Dodge truck. I have only owned two makes of trucks, but I cannot imagine any truck being more reliable than this single cab, 8-ft long bed,V-6 tundra. I bought it with 32,000 miles on it and have only had one part replacement other than oil changes and fluids, brakes, and filters---normal maintenance. It now has 132,000 miles on it and I have yet to even change the timing belt(due at 90k miles). This truck will go until you just get tired of it, not because it is nickel and dimeing you in repair costs like my ex-dodge dakota did.

It's 5 yrs old and I still love it!

by from Americus, GA on July 10, 2008

I'm a 50+ year old female. Bought the Tundra for my husband but he was too slow giving up an old car so I took the pickup. What a nice pickup it has been. It's got 90,000 miles and has only oil changes and a set of tire and now finally the big change of the belts, etc. The mileage is 19 - 20, but it's paid for and I'll drive it til it dies which should be a long time from now if the first 5 years are an indication of expected performance. Two complaints: big turning radius that makes parking interesting and the back doors that open "backwards" that make putting groceries in a little tricky. We took a roadtrip from the SE to the SW and then the midwest. Put on 7000 miles in 3 weeks. Was a very comfortable ride for 2 adults.

Amazing Truck

by from Vermont on April 27, 2012

I don't think I can emphasize enough how incredible this truck is. You really need to own one for many years to truly understand. Mine is a 2003 SR5 TRD Off Road with the V8 and automatic transmission. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned, by a large margin, and I usually buy reliable vehicles. Even though the motor is "just" a 4.7 liter it is impressively strong, and while it isn't stronger than the V10 in my sister's F350 it FEELS stronger. It is surprisingly comfortable too like another reviewer said, you really can sit for hours on end in the captains chairs without any discomfort. Personally I would prefer more lumbar support (Toyotas as a rule have the worst lumbar support). Styling is always in the eye of the beholder, but I think it's perfectly adequate, there isn't any design element that looks out-of-date even ten years later. I wanted to give it only 3 or 4 stars for value because they are expensive new and used, but jeez it hasn't cost me a dime other that routine maintenance.

Awesome Truck!

by from Clarksville, TN on May 4, 2007

I bought this truck new in 2003 and have never had any problems with it. It runs and drives as good now as the day I bought it.

Beauty and the Beast

by from Branford, CT on November 9, 2006

I have been shopping for pick up trucks for over a year. I tow a 18 foot boat, do runs to the dump, go into the woods to get some fire wood etc..I was set on getting a Dodge Dakota,,I didjnt want a little toy truck, the F150's and Rams seemed like too much truck for my needs. I started noticing the Tundra and spoke to alot of owners all who have loved them,,its much bigger than I originally wanted but Im glad i didnt get the Dakota and went with this thing..I got a great deal on a 2003 Limited,,full leather, TRD, Tow Package, Cold weather package with 45,000 miles on it for $19,000. I think I got the steal of the century..The ruck looks awsome, its very very quiet, handles well and accelerates smoothly but with confidence,,best vehicle i have ever purchased, im so happy

Reliable Truck

by from Grand Prairie, TX on November 28, 2012

Just a great Truck to have. I plan on getting another Tundra if I ever get a chance to buy one. I've gotton real good performance from this truck.

Love my Truck

by from oceanside, ca on October 10, 2011

Great truck for whatever I need right now; work or play, family or self. Would like 4 wheel drive but couldn't afford at the time- the tundra is definately my prefered truck!

Plenty of power, but need to gas to perform!

by from Central Arkansas on November 30, 2007

I bought my SR5 brand new in Jan '04. That's when fuel prices were about $1.39 or so. Now with over 93k miles it still runs and feels like it did when new. I have had some problems with the check engine light always coming on. Seems a sensor or the loose fuel cap warning each time. After a couple of years I stopped taking it in for that check engine light. It actually goes out on occasion, but always returns.... Dealer says same thing; make sure the gas cap is tight...Of course it always is, but it never got solved. That's a minor complaint. The thing now is fuel here is $3 plus a gallon. It now cost about $75-80 for fillup. With that I could go about 400 miles on a tank. With my 100 mile daily commute, I can no longer afford to keep filling up the fuel tank. Yes, that's $75 every 4 days just for gas. Ouch!!!! Anyway, I relunctely traded it today for an economy Nissan Altima. I would say if you have short commutes or hardly drive great distances, this is a great vehicle to own. For me right now, it doesn't make good economical sense to own it. I hope the future buyer of my Tundra has deep pockets to keep that tank full.

Similar Models