2011 Tundra

2011 Toyota Tundra

2011 Toyota Tundra

Have You Driven the 2011 Toyota Tundra?

Excellent

by DFW Tundra from Fort Worth, TX on Wed Aug 24 2011

Purchased a 2011 tundra 6 months ago, after extensive research and comparison. My brothers drive a dodge, Chevrolet, and Nissan trucks so I had intimate access to the competing trucks. 6 months later they all agree that the tundra is superior in most categories. Power is exceptional with the 5.7 liter, turning radius is surprising, and resell value is undoubtedly better which speaks to the durability of the truck. I am towing a 20 foot boat and it's quite enjoyable how the truck tows, there is literally no difference in performance with the boat in tow - to the point where my wife has asked, "did you forget to pick up the boat?" the only complaint is that there isn't a diesel option.....

So far, so good

by Light Truck user from San Jose, CA on Wed Jun 01 2011

I recently purchased a 2011 2wd Tundra Crewmax with the 4.6L engine. I was replacing a 1993 Toyota pickup that I had owned since it was new. I spent several years researching online and talking to every Tundra owner I could and finally decided that the Tundra was the right truck for me. So far I am very happy with my purchase. The truck is very roomy inside, I have two child seats in the back and both my boys are no longer able to kick the back of my seat. I tried putting these seats in the back of my father in-laws four door Tacoma and it was a very tight fit. Power and handling is excellent for my needs. I find the truck reasonably easy to park for being so large and the 4.6L has plenty of power for my light hauling and around town driving. The truck has good fit and finish and I have yet to find any need to return to my dealer. My only complaint thus far is even with remarkably conservative driving, I am averaging 14 mpg, way below the 15/20 on the window sticker. I am hoping that once I have more miles on the truck it will improve slightly. I realize it's not a Prius but other reviews led me to believe I could expect better. The basic sound system meets my needs but if you're an audiophile you may want to upgrade. The interior has a ton of storage and everything is fairly intuitive. If you've had a Toyota before you'll feel right at home in the Tundra.

2011 tundra SR5 off road TRD

by puppy squicher from florida on Thu Jun 02 2011

So far with 4000 miles on my 3 rd tundra a 02, 04, and my current 2011, trip mileage has been 18.3 @ 75 mph, with better handling at speed, less cross wind issues, better ride and seats very good acceleration great brakes, and generally excellent manners on the road. a real good truck from toyota

Uses car for Towing

Transmission Flawed

by Trucknut from Illinois on Wed Nov 02 2011

I am a certified Toyota fan in addition to being a truck nut. I have owned4 Toyotas in the past, but never a Tundra. The thing that is making me want to trade it in after 5k miles is the rough shifting transmission. It is jerky from first gear through second gear especially when the engine is cold. With this transmission I am sure that others will complain about the jerky starts in the tundra. Dealer said it is fine even though I got into another one on the lot and it shifted fine. Before you get a Tundra, test drive one to make sure it shifts smoothly.

best all around truck

by mycooltire from Texas on Sun Feb 24 2013

Great truck that can do it all. Pulls everything with ease. 3/4ton frame Iis strong. Keep your foot out of it and the gas mileage is pretty dang good. spacious crew max!!!!! Room for everything. Very happy. Thanks cars.com for all the research information i needed.

Perfect vehicle for travel & Recreation

by Outdoor Trucking from Sulphur, Louisiana on Tue Jul 30 2013

The vehicle I had been seeking needed to fit a seniors comfort combination for travel and recreation. Several short ways I can best describe this vehicle are: comfortable, powerful, handles like a car but does the work of a truck. Safety is always important both as passengers, drivers and others who surround us everyday. This vehiclel is equiped with a back up screen, great security built in proper air bags, bracking system and turning radias handling. The vehicle came with a great warranty. We were able to ad extended warranty that secures the out of pocket expenses given further financial security of unexpected high cost of repairs. The experience with the dealership was heart warming.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

nicest looking truck I've owned

by truck enthusiast from Allentown,PA on Thu Jan 03 2013

Great looks. Powerful. Lots of get up and go on highway. Power will come in handy for towing. More room in rear seats than our Altima. All and all I expect long life and reliability from this Tundra Double Cab. I have owned a Toyota truck since !988. This is only 3rd one !! They run forever..

So Far So Good.

by Outdoor Enthusiast/dad w/ small kids from Rochester, NY on Wed Jan 02 2013

I'm an ourdoor Enthusiast that now has a small family. I went with the Tundra Double cab cause it could fit the car seats. Kids are small so didn't need to get crewmax cab yet. So far I like it. It drives nice has a lot of power (way more than my old f150). I've driven it in snowy/icy roads and it felt very stable even in 2 wheel drive. Seats are not quite as comfortable than my old f150 but could be I'm still getting used to it. We'll see what happens, I went toyota for the reliablility. It will take several years before I have an opinion on that.

pontiac grand prix

by range rover from pittsburgh,pa. on Thu Nov 08 2012

my tundra handles excellently. i am a retiree who uses my tundra for an all purpose transportation. i just hope i can afford another tundra if i ever trade my 2011 toyota tundra in.

Excellent Purchase

by Island Girl from Biloxi, MS on Mon Nov 14 2011

Purchased for a 7,000 towing capacity. Actually the standard 2-wheel drive goes to 9,900 capacity with a 4.3 axle ratio and towing package (4-wheel drives only go to 9,000 hauling capacity). Transmission cooling system. Very large brake rotors (13.9") with 4 pistons. No spongy feeling with braking. Stops on a dime, even with the heavy load towing. Handles the boat quickly with moving lane to lane and/or backing onto the boat ramp. Tried other dealer brands and nothing compared to the luxury with the price & handling. The 5.7L V8 engine is not really good on gas mileage with around 12 MPG hauling; however, it is much better than the 250 or 2500 series of trucks we tried. Towing mirrors are a plus with the heater. Added bonus: Backup camera in the rear view mirror puts you precisely on the tongue of the trailer. Owned 6 months and very satisfied with purchase except husband running into the tree on our property. Minor damage though at front end. Hanging files in center console is also added bonus. Other useful items: numerous storage sites, reclining rear seats, and USB ports for thumbdrive music playing. Would definitely purchase again. Solid truck for the money with a lot of luxuries. Con: Dashboard components in circles where you have to be the driver to see them. Cuts out your companion's view if both are watching for problems while towing. Also they are in red colors and not very eye friendly.

Uses car for Towing

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Our Take on the 2011 Toyota Tundra

Lost in the blinding glare of two all-new six-cylinder engines for the 2011 Ford F-150 is a nontrivial mechanical and power update for the 2011 Toyota Tundra’s 4.0-liter V-6. That’s unfortunate because it’s a well-sorted and modern naturally aspirated six.

Originally we planned to include a 4.0 Tundra in our 2010 Work Truck Shootout, but an accident during transportation prevented that from happening. To make up for this, we flew to Texas last week — at our expense — to test a loaner from Champion Toyota in Houston. We were provided with a two-wheel-drive double cab model modestly configured in base-level Work Truck trim.

It’s tough to call the Tundra we tested... Read More