Read or write a review.

Change Year
Average based on 28 reviews

Great Car--Used as a Rental

by from Seattle, WA on November 5, 2009

I did not buy this car and do not nor have I ever owned a Yaris but I rented one for a week while my Honda Accord was being repaired. The Yaris is a great car. The interior is surprisingly roomy for such a small car. The windshield is large with a no obstructions (some cars, like the Hyundai Sonota, have the steering wheel pushed up so high that it blocks the view). I didn't car for the instrument panel in the center of the dashboard, nor did I car for the small windows in the rear seats. I also thought the rear windshield was rather small and that the view from the rearview mirror was too small. There was a little more road noise than I expected from a Toyota; Toyota Camrys usually have very little road noise, while my Honda Accord has a lot. Overall, I think the Toyota is a great small car for the price and the great gas mileage. I strongly recommend this car.

Love this little car

by from Sarasota FL on September 16, 2010

Bought a 2009 Yaris new. Have only 6,000 miles on it. Best car ever for city driving - turns on a dime, fits into little parking spaces. Wish the color selection was better. Settled for silver - yawn. Holds five comfortably for short trips and even room in the back for their stuff with a little planning. I get 29mpg city driving. I like the center position of the speedometer, clock, etc.

The best car ever!

by from Rochester, NY on July 15, 2010

I have owned this car for 4 months... and driven over 6,000 miles so far. It is amazing! It looks to tiny from the outside, I was worried about really making it work for my family. But when I sit inside, I feel like I am in a full sized car. I can fit my groceries just fine. I traveled out of town, and my luggage fit just fine. When entering a highway ramp uphill, it is a little slower than other vehicles I've had so I just have to adjust my driving manner for that. And I totally love the 30-35 city mpg ... and the 38-39 mpg highway I got on my trip through the hills of PA. We love it so much, my daughter is looking to trade in her Subaru for a Yaris!

great

by from TX,TX on April 8, 2011

Has been very reliable in the year and a half that I've had it. Great acceleration and exterior styling. You get used to the cyborg dash (speedo in the middle) quickly and seems to be better than the conventional layout. Good gas mileage, but does seem to have a small fuel tank. All a round great value for the money.

Love my Yaris

by from Stratford, CT on October 7, 2009

My Yaris is adorable and I have no problems with it. When it's windy, due to its size, it is slightly harder to handle but I wouldn't want another vehicle. I just love "her".

best car for money

by from Milwaukee, wi on September 25, 2010

we bought this car used and love it. It is zippy, sporty and a real gas saver. Our first foreign car and would buy again!!

Perfect Car for Me!

by from Denver, CO on October 10, 2011

I traded in my 2000 Cadillac Deville for my 2009 Toyota Yaris, and have not regretted the decision. I LOVE driving my Yaris, it's so fun, reliable, and easy to drive. I live in a large metro area, and the WONDERFUL gas mileage has saved me money from the very beginning! I am a young, single adult--I don't know if I would recommend the hatchback to someone that plans on utilizing the back seat much. I thought I would miss the extra trunk space and 4 doors, but I really haven't. I have found the perfect car for me (FINALLY!) :)

reliable small car.

by from Louisville, Ky on October 10, 2011

Great on gas, easy to drive. Small and cute. Has more space than it looks. Great trunk and many other different features.

love it

by from troy,oh on June 28, 2011

we owe 3-door. we travel everywhere in it. plenty of room for us and ours things. easy to drive and park. great gas mileage!! my only complain is that I wish I had cruise control.

I love my Yaris!

by from New Haven, CT on July 3, 2012

I bought my '09 Yaris 4-door hatchback in March 2011; it was about 2 years old, certified, with around 49k on it. So I've had it for about a year and 4 months now. I commute 70-80 miles per day for work, so I have racked another 30k or so onto the car (around 80k now). Luckily, this car has given me exactly what I wanted - reliability and fuel efficiency. For the first 6-8 months I owned it, I regularly tracked my gas mileage and I was averaging 37-38 MPG with about 80% highway, 20% city driving. People who are riding in it for the first time often comment on how surprisingly spacious it is inside - even in the back seat - and the size just hasn't been an issue for me at all. I am 5'11 and have plenty of room up front. I also test drove a Yaris sedan, but I found the hatchback to not only look cuter but also feel more spacious inside - I think it's something to do with how they design the trunk on the sedan maybe? And I think that having the easy fold-down seats in the hatchback are more practical when you buy a car this small. With those seats down I can fit a lot back there - recently I bought 4 kitchen chairs and they all fit in at once, with the door closed! I don't mind the center console at all - you get used to it in about 2 days - and I love the cup holders being right in front of the heating/cooling air vents. As for safety, luckily I haven't experienced any serious accidents in it, but I did get rear-ended a couple of months back by a drunk driver in an SUV (luckily, she wasn't going very fast) and my bumper completely held up with only two teeny tiny dents from her license plate.... a few weeks later, I was actually a passenger in my mother in law's Accord when the same thing happened - we were rear-ended at low speed by a larger vehicle - and her bumper almost fell off. My little Yaris is stronger than I thought! I find it to be steady driving at high speeds on the highway, with the exception of extremely windy days or when I'm driving behind a huge tractor trailer. One of my only complaints with the car is that the steering wheel is hard to get in a comfortable position for a tall person like me. I need a telescoping wheel so that I can push the seat back without having to reach way out to grab onto the wheel, but it doesn't have this feature.

Our Expert Review: 2009 Toyota Yaris