1989 Volkswagen Cabriolet Consumer Reviews

2.5
Average based on 2 reviews

topless bunny

by from Novato, Ca. on July 12, 2011

My first real car. Loved it, loved it, loved it. Easy and fun to drive. Top up on rainy days, down on sunny days.....lots of sun in California. Got a new replacement roof once. Trunk is lockable and has a lot of room. Felt safe with roll bar but the best part is rear window is glass no discoloration like in other convertibles. Great reliable volkswagon engine.

Slow, pokey, convertible

by from Reno, Nevada on July 4, 2015

I bought this car used with 30k miles on it. I have to say all the problems I had with it were caused by the previous owner(s). Back in the day before the internet and Carfax you had to carefully go over a used car with a fine tooth comb to make sure you are getting a good deal / smart buy. I was young and naive and after careful consideration bought a (fun and reliable) convertible. It ended up being the biggest mistake of my life. What I did not know. The car was previously wrecked and totaled and slapped back together. They NEVER repaired the car correctly so nothing on the car worked like it should. Lets run down the list. The gas tank could never go below 1/4 of a tank or the car would stall and die. (I could never figure it out) The air stopped working within 6 months and I was told the entire system was contained / shot and would have to be replaced. The cruise control stopped working 90 days later and I was told it also was shot and needed to be replaced. Everything squeaked, doors, windows roof, seats, dash, suspension, etc.... The car had a very firm clutch that I hated. The shifts were not smooth. The radio burned up in 6 months taking all the speakers with it. The intermittent wipers were a joke. The cars valve cover gasket started leaking every 8k miles after being replaced many times. It drank oil at a rate of 1/2 a quart per month. The emergency brake never worked right. The car was slow and heavy. It barely could make it up the hill to Lake Tahoe. It was in the slow lane doing 45 mph (barely) and being passed by everything. It never ran right. It used oil and gas like crazy. (28 mpg if I was lucky). The only good thing on the car was the seats. They were leather wrapped seats and were very comfortable for the drive. I know 50% to 90% of the problems were due to a poor repair / neglect to the car from the previous owner(s). But I did decide to give VW a few more try to see if this was just a 1 time problem. I would never own a convertible from this ear again.