2009 GLI

3.8 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
3.4 out of 5 starsReliability

'09 Jetta GLI nightmare

by dfreshmaine from Biddeford, ME on April 21, 2017

The 2009 Volkswagen Jetta GLI was the first car I've ever purchased new. Driving it home, I was thrilled with the upscale interior, unique plaid heated seats and all the other bells and whistles. The turbocharged 2.0 engine was powerful, shifting was on point and it cornered as well as more expensive German sports sedans. At around 45,000 miles was when the problems started to occur. I was on a work trip down in Connecticut, and while waiting in line to get onto the premises, suddenly, every warning light was going off in addition to a horrible beeping sound. The car started to shake a little, and that's when I quickly noticed plumes of thick smoke coming from my tailpipe. Of course, they didn't let me onto the facility, so I was forced to limp the car back to my hotel parking lot where it sat until I could have it towed to the nearest VW dealership. Once at the dealership, I was told it was a faulty fuel injector, and that it would cost approximately $799 to fix it. I told them the mileage, thinking the service advisor would quickly remind me that it was under warranty and it should be no cost, but he just as quickly, told me that the fuel injectors were not covered under the powertrain warranty. I obviously paid to have it repaired, being on the road and needing a vehicle to get around. After the trip, several weeks later, another fuel injector failed-only a few thousand miles were put on after the first repair. The cost was cheaper by $100, at my local VW dealership, but I was not impressed. After that, it was one problem after another. Intake flapper motor, trunk and hood struts breaking, extreme steering wheel vibration , electrical issues, CEL illuminating when I'd fill up at certain gas stations, ignition components, carbon build up, radio cutting in and out, etc. The only reason I purchased a VW was because my 2002 Passat was absolutely bulletproof. Boy, was I wrong. My '02 was German made. The '09, was made in Mexico. I'm sorry, but I feel that Volkswagen let me down, so I called their customer service number as well as wrote them a letter explaining everything that I had gone through. I thought that I would never hear back from them, but after five or six weeks, I got an envelope in the mail containing a check for $1200.00 reimbursement. I had paid $1600.00 out of my own pocket, but was very happy that they did what they could to do right by me. I was glad to have most of my money back, but I don't think I will ever purchase another one of their cars after the nightmare I experienced.

Does not recommend this car!!

i hope that i get this car it's my dream car

by Swagcars from tunisia,zaghouan on May 15, 2017

It's very nice car the design is awesome the performance are good i think that everything in this car perfect

Each GLI Better Than Before

by mul21100 from rochester, ny on May 22, 2017

I've owned 3 Jetta turbos and the GLI is the best of the lot. Sports car features in a dependable Jetta body. I would buy another in a heartbeat. I would recommend this car.

Early, but working great

by Manfromja from Worcester, MA on May 21, 2017

This cars performs way above what I paid for it. As long as things keep going well, I'll be a happy owner. The performance on the highway is great.

Most reliable car, low maintenance costs. Very fun

by Edckozul from on June 25, 2017

Car is what you see is what you get. Very reliable, quick and a friend favorite. Putting performance mods on this car only increases the fun.