2010 Volkswagen Golf

Love it

by from McDonough, GA on August 5, 2010

This is a great car. It has everything that I wanted in a car. It handles great, and has tons of torque, which I find more useful than horsepower. The clutch is easy to use and get used to. The fuel economy is great, even when I drive the car hard. I have gotten 43mpg, city and highway combined when I drive it softly, but usually, I get about 38mpg. I am also new to diesels, but I barely notice that it's a diesel. The turbo kicks in at just under 2000rpm, so the power is there when you need it. You don't even have to downshift go up hills or make passes as long as you are above 1750rpm or so. I hope to keep this car past 250,000 miles since diesels usually last longer. If you are considering this vs. hybrids, go for the TDI if you enjoy driving. If you don't care about the driving experience and all you want is good mpg's, then I would go for a hybrid.

Great mpg

by from Charlotte on April 16, 2010

This is my 3rd Golf diesel, the 4th overall. The 2010 TDI manual handles great, has nice features and gadgets. The fuel consumption is amazing since I got around 47mpg on 6 full tanks so far and a stint at 60.7 mpg. The car gets to 120mph pretty fast! Cons: It feels a little less sturdier than the MK4, few cheap details here and there, shallower trunk than previous versions.

Great car

by from Sion on May 14, 2010

I have this car since some years now and i m really proud of my purchase. Comfort, reliability, good handling... everything is great for an accessbile price. I really recommend this car.

Great car

by from Fontana,Ca. on January 30, 2010

This is a very solid car. Fun to drive,handles very well. Nice interior with a lot of nice features. Good ergonomics. I shopped other car makers small cars/hatchbacks and the Golf surpassed them in comfort, quality, and drivability. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for a car in this class.

Fuel mileage exceptional

by from Central Mass on April 30, 2010

I purchased new 2 months ago, have traveled 4000 miles already. It handles like your on a rail and the turbo charge gives it plenty of go, you have to continually keep your eye on the speedometer otherwise you'll hit 80 without realizing it. I'm averaging 43 mpg in combine city and hwy. Great car so far, I'll report again in a year, so if I still feel the same.

VW Golf Tdi

by from Carmel, CA on July 16, 2010

It looks great, handles well, gets great gas mileage up to 50 mpg on the highway, and I would highly recommend it to anyone!

TDI Fuelsipper...

by from Vero Beach, Florida on June 23, 2012

I have owned this fully loaded car since buying it new in June 2010. At 6'2" I am the primary driver. We are a family of four with two boys 11 and 13. Our other car is a 2008 Suburban (awesome, but thirsty). The Golf TDI fits all of us comfortably on long and short trips. I opted for the 2-door and it is no hassle for the boys to get in and out the back. The front seats are very comfortable, with side bolsters that keep you snug when cornering! This car is a blast to drive. The turbo engine allows you to accelerate quickly past other vehicles. Mine has the DSG auto transmission and optional paddle shifters on the steering wheel. Although the normal mode is plenty quick, it also has a Sport mode which gives you even more speed (highly recommend). Though you'll pay more for diesel fuel, the mpg (combined with the fun-to-drive factor) is worth it. I have a 70-30 mix of city - highway driving and average 39 mpg per tank. If I drive highway only, it will get 42-44 mpg consistently. It won't get the 48-50mpg of a Prius, but I don't care. Driving a Prius is just not fun. Mine is decked out with bluetooth, navigation and the Dynaudio sound system. Three options well worth the extra $ IMO. I have had no reliability issues to date. Today I test drove the Chevy Volt and they offered a nice lease deal. It too is a great car packed with technology, and more fun than the Prius, but to purchase one, the price is steep. It also lacks the addicting turbo feel. I'll stick with the TDI for a while longer.

Amazing car

by from Washington, DC on August 2, 2010

Bought a 2010 4 door VW Golf TDI after looking for one with the bells and whistles we were interested in. We are absolutely thrilled with the car and would highly recommend to anyone looking for a fuel efficient, sharp, and remarkably sporty little car. Well done VW!

Great Car

by from Irving, TX on November 2, 2010

It's simply everything I hoped to find. It's roomy, comfortable, and gets great mileage. I also love the design.

This is a great not-too-big car

by from Central NJ on February 15, 2011

Perfect combination of size, utility, fun to drive, economy and comfort. Price is not out of reach for the segment if you don't crave a lot of goodies to add on.

Our Expert Review: 2010 Volkswagen Golf