2017 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack

TDI Sportwagen Replacement

by from North Georgia on April 24, 2017

Black/black 6MT S level only 3-4 weeks old now. This was purchased to replace my 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI which was bought back from VW after a emissions lawsuit. Finding the manual was much more difficult and the dealer seemed to not want to discount it as much as the DSG models that had been on the lot. DSG was not an option for me and the purchase price was fair (not excellent). Initially when bought the Alltrack I missed the larger 2.0L engine TDI torque but the 1.8L is plenty peppy enough and has the same torque feel when driving. I do miss the TDI mileage though, 38mpg avg versus the Alltrack's 28mpg avg (after three fill ups). No road trips yet to see what highway figures are. The lower mileage figures are set off by the fact that I now have 4-Motion, can purchase lower cost fuel, and have slightly greater acceleration. I had issues with the 2013 in the rain and on gravel roads with slippage in the front wheels but the 4Motion has completely eliminated those issues. I bike and hike quite a bit and travelling on secondary dirt/gravel roads is common and this helps a lot (as well as a little more clearance underneath). The gearbox is fantastic like the TDI and far better than any other manual I drove. I do wish the 6th gear had as much get up and go like the TDI had but it is adequate enough. Visibility from the headlights at night is a big improvement over the 2013 and the fog lights illuminate when you turn which help as well. Inside the car the seats are much more firm than my old ones. I have heard complaints about but the firm seats but they suit me better and I love them (no road trips yet though). It is easy to position the seat in exactly the right place to reach the shift lever but I could use a hair more room between the seat and the steering wheel (I am 5'8") to get the reach perfect. The USB port for the phone is in a compartment infront of the shifter that is hard to reach in (even with small hands) and when my phone (iPhone 6) is plugged in it is difficult to position it so that the compartment can close. When plugged in you can use your phone for navigation which is very helpful and receive and send texts which are read to you and you reply by voice. These are the only functions of Carplay I have used so far. The Bluetooth connection using the phone handsfree is easier to hear and more clear sounding to the person talking to you. Interior illumination in the car at night is fantastic but the rear seats do not have as detailed door illumination as the front which seems cheap to me. LED illumination overhead is fantastic. One gripe I do have is the glove box does not lock. I like to lock my wallet in there when I ride/hike so now I have to hide it. The "air conditioning" in the glovebox is worthless. I had a hitch receiver put on for a bike rack and it sits higher than the 2013 did so that is a big improvement (no dragging) and the Yakima crossbars on the roof make zero noise. Only had the car for a month but so far I love it, like I did my last two VW's. The other two were TDI's so I am getting used to the lower mileage but they both had excellent reliability so I expect the same with the Alltrack. Highly recommend if you are looking for a "driver's car" instead of a sheep herding SUV.

Finally a wagon for America !

by from Beverly MA on December 2, 2016

Refined. Not just a nice Vw, but a nice car! Sold back my tdi and upgraded to Alltrack- wow! Finally the car I need in a refined and attractive package. Sporty as heck but does so much more.

Golf Alltrack vs Subaru Outback

by from Asheville on June 2, 2017

When compared head to head- the Alltrack was sooooooo much more fun to drive and comes in a manual transmission. Had a Jetta Sportswagon TDI (which we loved) and was hesitant to give VW more business because of the diesel-gate but the car was so fun to drive. Good alternative to the Outback - wish that it had better gas mileage.

Volkswagen is coming back!

by from Cincinnati, Ohio on May 7, 2017

This wagon is not what people would think of the historical term for a wagon. It's agile, it's sharp, great German styling, and everything works as it should. I was originally looking to purchase a GTI Sport but my love for the wagon was still there. So I of course looked at the Sportwagen when it came out but I wanted something a little different. The GTI fit that bill to an extent in that it has the lighting package but lacked a sunroof. When Volkswagen announced that the Alltrack was coming, I was sold. It has the lighting package, the sunroof, and even came with the driver assist and park pilot. Performance has been great, no issues thus far

Great Test Drive

by from Winchester, MA on April 24, 2017

After driving a Subaru for the last few years, I was delighted to drive a car that did not feel like a sturdy tugboat. It was quick and responsive and fun to drive.

Legit

by from Baltimore, MD on April 5, 2017

Traded in a 2010 VW Tiguan for the 2017 VW Alltrack and couldn't be more satisfied. When browsing for a new vehicle, I wanted to make sure I was purchasing something big enough to accommodate my children comfortably as well as making sure the vehicle was AWD. The Alltrack is 4motion equipped which adds the extra comfort of knowing, my family will be safe in all weather conditions. As well as providing my children the safety and reliability that VW provides with side air bag protection. The vehicle itself drives very smooth and hugs the road for the added driver connection. I would recommend this vehicle to any family that is in the market for a "family" style vehicle.

Drives and handles like a VW !

by from Reston, Virginia on April 6, 2017

I ended up getting a 2017 Golf Alltrack SEL - with all the bells and whistles, as a replacement for my Jetta Sportswagen TDI under the VW settlement agreement. While I miss the great mpg of my TDI, I gotta admit that this new Alltrack 'drives & handles like a VW', which explains why I'm such a diehard VW fan. Lindsay VW in Sterling VA was a big help while I awaited delivery of my new VW.

So far a great buy

by from Salt Lake City, Utah on May 3, 2017

When I bought my VW Jetta sportwagon, the only thing it was missing was all wheel drive. This car also seems to have more acceleration than my sportwagon. I'm very happy with it so far.

Drives almost as good as my GTI but with 4 motion.

by from Philadelphia pa on May 16, 2017

Great to drive with very comfortable seats and lots of cargo space. Very responsive turbo engine and handles very well on the road. Driver assist package also helpful in tight spots and back up camera with added audible warnings a plus.

Economical AWD Wagon with a Manual Transmision

by from Greensburg, PA on May 4, 2017

I love it. One the 190 mile drive home from the dealership it averaged 35.2mpg despite crossing the Allegheny mountains. And on short trips around town it has averaged about 25 mpg thus far.

Our Expert Review: 2017 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack