2017 Golf Alltrack

4.7 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

TDI Sportwagen Replacement

by GA MTBer from North Georgia on April 24, 2017

Black/black 6MT S level only 3-4 weeks old now. This was purchased to replace my 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI which was bought back from VW after a emissions lawsuit. Finding the manual was much more difficult and the dealer seemed to not want to discount it as much as the DSG models that had been on the lot. DSG was not an option for me and the purchase price was fair (not excellent). Initially when bought the Alltrack I missed the larger 2.0L engine TDI torque but the 1.8L is plenty peppy enough and has the same torque feel when driving. I do miss the TDI mileage though, 38mpg avg versus the Alltrack's 28mpg avg (after three fill ups). No road trips yet to see what highway figures are. The lower mileage figures are set off by the fact that I now have 4-Motion, can purchase lower cost fuel, and have slightly greater acceleration. I had issues with the 2013 in the rain and on gravel roads with slippage in the front wheels but the 4Motion has completely eliminated those issues. I bike and hike quite a bit and travelling on secondary dirt/gravel roads is common and this helps a lot (as well as a little more clearance underneath). The gearbox is fantastic like the TDI and far better than any other manual I drove. I do wish the 6th gear had as much get up and go like the TDI had but it is adequate enough. Visibility from the headlights at night is a big improvement over the 2013 and the fog lights illuminate when you turn which help as well. Inside the car the seats are much more firm than my old ones. I have heard complaints about but the firm seats but they suit me better and I love them (no road trips yet though). It is easy to position the seat in exactly the right place to reach the shift lever but I could use a hair more room between the seat and the steering wheel (I am 5'8") to get the reach perfect. The USB port for the phone is in a compartment infront of the shifter that is hard to reach in (even with small hands) and when my phone (iPhone 6) is plugged in it is difficult to position it so that the compartment can close. When plugged in you can use your phone for navigation which is very helpful and receive and send texts which are read to you and you reply by voice. These are the only functions of Carplay I have used so far. The Bluetooth connection using the phone handsfree is easier to hear and more clear sounding to the person talking to you. Interior illumination in the car at night is fantastic but the rear seats do not have as detailed door illumination as the front which seems cheap to me. LED illumination overhead is fantastic. One gripe I do have is the glove box does not lock. I like to lock my wallet in there when I ride/hike so now I have to hide it. The "air conditioning" in the glovebox is worthless. I had a hitch receiver put on for a bike rack and it sits higher than the 2013 did so that is a big improvement (no dragging) and the Yakima crossbars on the roof make zero noise. Only had the car for a month but so far I love it, like I did my last two VW's. The other two were TDI's so I am getting used to the lower mileage but they both had excellent reliability so I expect the same with the Alltrack. Highly recommend if you are looking for a "driver's car" instead of a sheep herding SUV.

Volkswagen is coming back!

by Wagenfan from Cincinnati, Ohio on May 7, 2017

This wagon is not what people would think of the historical term for a wagon. It's agile, it's sharp, great German styling, and everything works as it should. I was originally looking to purchase a GTI Sport but my love for the wagon was still there. So I of course looked at the Sportwagen when it came out but I wanted something a little different. The GTI fit that bill to an extent in that it has the lighting package but lacked a sunroof. When Volkswagen announced that the Alltrack was coming, I was sold. It has the lighting package, the sunroof, and even came with the driver assist and park pilot. Performance has been great, no issues thus far

Finally a wagon for America !

by Javaboy66 from Beverly MA on December 2, 2016

Refined. Not just a nice Vw, but a nice car! Sold back my tdi and upgraded to Alltrack- wow! Finally the car I need in a refined and attractive package. Sporty as heck but does so much more.

Great Test Drive

by PamCT from Winchester, MA on April 24, 2017

After driving a Subaru for the last few years, I was delighted to drive a car that did not feel like a sturdy tugboat. It was quick and responsive and fun to drive.

Legit

by Baxter from Baltimore, MD on April 5, 2017

Traded in a 2010 VW Tiguan for the 2017 VW Alltrack and couldn't be more satisfied. When browsing for a new vehicle, I wanted to make sure I was purchasing something big enough to accommodate my children comfortably as well as making sure the vehicle was AWD. The Alltrack is 4motion equipped which adds the extra comfort of knowing, my family will be safe in all weather conditions. As well as providing my children the safety and reliability that VW provides with side air bag protection. The vehicle itself drives very smooth and hugs the road for the added driver connection. I would recommend this vehicle to any family that is in the market for a "family" style vehicle.

Drives and handles like a VW !

by jayhoya1977 from Reston, Virginia on April 6, 2017

I ended up getting a 2017 Golf Alltrack SEL - with all the bells and whistles, as a replacement for my Jetta Sportswagen TDI under the VW settlement agreement. While I miss the great mpg of my TDI, I gotta admit that this new Alltrack 'drives & handles like a VW', which explains why I'm such a diehard VW fan. Lindsay VW in Sterling VA was a big help while I awaited delivery of my new VW.

Two weeks in

by BostonBean from Boston, MA on June 24, 2017

I have an Audi TT and just sold my Fiat Abarth for this VW Alltrack because with two very small cars, I needed more carrying capacity. I'm in property management and though I enjoyed my 2 zippy sporty cars I just couldn't hack it any longer. The audi and Abarth are both manual. Since I will only own manuals, the choices are severely limited in the good ole usa. If I can overcome my identity crisis (for real) finding myself behind the wheel of a (cringe) station wagon, the car has a solid (german engineering) feel and is not a total bore to drive. Literally storage is everywhere - this is new to me as I didn't have any before. I'll also be able to take my kayak out which I haven't been able to do for years. I love the Marrakesh brown interior. With all the choices in every product these days, WHY are interiors all black? or Ivory? Like really, ivory? Other than mini's which are offering maroon and blue, this brown really appealed to me and actually factored into my decision to buy. The all-track is VW's verson of the Audi all road without the higher price tag. I don't want to pay the premium for the Audi and not sure it comes in a manual anymore. Another thing auto makers do, is once you move up from the base model, the car goes to automatic and manual isn't available. So with the all-track, I was able to get the SE in a manual because I had to have the power sunroof and the upgraded stereo. I haven't familiarized myself yet with all the electronics - though someone mentioned one of my pet peeves - the USB connector inside the middle compartment is a poor design-nearly impossible to connect to it with the shift in front of the compartment. Annoying since this is the port that'll be used most. In the rear there is a regular 2 prong plug outlet. The seats are firm, a plus imo, and have lumbar support. With back issues so common, it's a mystery why they don't put lumbar support in every car standard. The seat was in perfect position when the car was delivered. In playing with the adjustments, I can't seem to find that sweet spot again. There's still a lot to get used to and features I'll probably never know about or use. Backup camera is nice to have. No blind spot monitoring - I recently had this feature in a rental car and it would have been nice to have in the alltrack as its a good safety feature. The car rides very comfortably, which most folks would appreciate though I personally am used to a sport suspension and prefer it. If I didn't have to have a manual, I don't know that I would have purchased this particular car. But for carrying capacity and a manual transmission, it sure beats the snore-baru. Now if only Subaru would bring back the manual Baja, that was an exceptional model - sport, turbo, four doors AND carrying capacity.

So far a great buy

by Jnmajers from Salt Lake City, Utah on May 3, 2017

When I bought my VW Jetta sportwagon, the only thing it was missing was all wheel drive. This car also seems to have more acceleration than my sportwagon. I'm very happy with it so far.

Amazing

by AlltrackLovin from Oregon on May 17, 2017

This car is perfect for what I need. I can load up my dog, all of my camping gear, and my friends and go camping with no problems at all. It drives like a dream, it's got a lot of get up and go, and the AWD is definitely the best part of it.

Good looking poor mans All Road

by JB?s Feedback from Philadelphia, PA on November 9, 2017

Great value Very stylish Good fuel economy Good interior space Comfortable reliable thrifty and just smart

1 2 3 4 5