2016 Golf GTI

2016 Volkswagen Golf GTI

2016 Volkswagen Golf GTI

Have You Driven the 2016 Volkswagen Golf GTI?

The best all around car money can buy.

by GTI Fanatic from Plano, TX on Sun Sep 27 2015

First things first, this GTI is an absolute blast to drive. You can drive it calmly and it will return 30MPG average in upmost comfort -OR- you can drive it around like you sat on a wasp grinning from ear to ear at its performance and handling characteristics. I came from owning a BMW 435i to this and while some wondered if I'd lost my mind, I can promise you I haven't. This car is practical with lots of cargo room (seats down), good MPG (my best is 34MPG so far), and has low running costs with maintenance/taking regular fuel. For some reason only the 2016 takes regular, 2015 is premium fuel just an FYI. So your wallet will thank you yes, but what about the fun factor? Well as I said earlier it's a blast to drive with its DSG transmission offering lightning quick shifts and powerful turbo engine. It also corners very well and handles like a go kart. The only downside to its handling is its ride is a *little* bit more harsh than the MK6 GTI but its still very comfortable. The interior is also of a very high quality (better than my BMW shockingly enough) and is ascetically pleasing. Feature wise it has everything you could possibly want (rain sensing wipers, LED lighting, leather seats, a large touchscreen radio W/ carplay/android auto, a crisp Fender audio system, and red interior accent lighting). Now reliability is a concern, because all GTI's have a poor reputation for being trouble free in the long term, and in fact at 800 miles I had to get the front right LED lamp assembly replaced under warranty. However it was done at no cost to me, and with such cheap comprehensive extended warranty options (think cost of the performance package for this car) up to 7years/100K miles I frankly don't care. No other car is this fun, this practical, and this feature rich all at the same time. Go see for yourself!

Used 2016 VW Golf GTI- First Real Car Purchase

by MacVW from Louisville, KY on Tue Mar 21 2017

So unfortunately I totalled my car earlier in the year. Since I commute to college not having a car was rough, the buses were unreliable and took forever to get to and from my house. I looked at quite a few cars and ended up purchasing the Volkswagen Golf-GTI. I looked at a few other cars, including Civics, Camrys, and the Subaru WRX. The most noticable difference detween these cars was when driving on the interstate the Golf-GTI seemed to have much less exterior noise than the others. The interior of most of the cars was about equal, but the VW seemed to be overall nicer than the others, with the subaru coming in second. To me the Civic and the Camry felt cookie cutter, and while they may be rated slightly more reliable have a comfortable car is important to me since I used it almost every day. Another thing I enjoy about the VW Golf-GTI is I am able to fold the back row completely down, which is great for taking my dog to the dog park or moving furniture. Both the Subaru and VW were hatchbacks, and the extra room vs just a 4-door is a plus to me as well. While the VW was more expensive than the Civic or Camry (Comparable to the Subaru) the extra space and the extra hp seemed to be worth it to me. Also while the gas mileage is slightly worse it still gets better than a SUV and is more fun to drive than others. Overall I am very happy with my decision, and to people like me who are looking for a slightly more sporty car that still has enough room for activities the VW Golf-GTI should be a car you look for.

Best overall Golf/GTI model I've owned

by Moose09876 from Muncie, IN on Thu Jan 28 2016

First off, the DSG really is the best of both worlds. Second, the MQB engine has PLENTY of torque. Third, much better MPG than previous GTI's. Personally I dislike the interlagos plaid seats, but I seem to be in the minority. Also, it took me as an IT professional, 4-5 hrs to figure out how to get android auto to connect. Car play worked flawlesly. ended up being the stupid USB cable I was using. No idea why. If you like VW's, I would definitely recommend it. I'm sold.

The Little Hot Rod!

by New Age Mom Car from Bay Area of California on Thu Dec 31 2015

When I was looking for a new car, I thought I would go back to some utility car but realize I'm not that mom carting kids around anymore and I wanted something fun to drive. Well, the GTI, Autobahn Performance Package was exactly what I wanted. Biggest surprise is that when my daughter and I went for a bike ride, we could fit both our road bikes in without any puzzle of juggling to make it fit. Comfortable, nice handling, and super fast when you want that little roar! Feel like a teen full of freedom. Love driving this car!

Good Fit

by Sports Car Enthusiast from Calabash NC. on Mon Sep 14 2015

The GTI SE fits our needs to a tee. It has room for two golf bags , lots of grocery bags & beach equipment. Being that it's a hatch back,it's easy to load & unload thees items.It gets grate gas mileage , has plenty of power,very comfortable, is fun to drive & has lots of other bells whistles.

Fantastic daily driver

by BosVet87 from on Mon Apr 03 2017

Amazing inside and out. As a daily driver, it is hard to fault this car. There's a reason why it's consistently been one of Car and Driver's "10Bes Cars." Super sharp handling, quick around town and great passing power, excellent quality materials inside and tons of tech included. Best all-rounder for the money.

best car for the money

by bigvwguy18 from knoxville tn on Thu Jul 06 2017

this car is amazing, i have owned it a year and it hasnt upset me once. i love the amount of power you get from factory and the interior is just OUTSTANDING and i mean that. by far my favorite car that i have owned

Best car for the money PERIOD!

by HardToPleaseGuy from Denver CO on Tue Nov 12 2019

I've owned a 2 door 2016 GTI for over 2 years, and it's been my most favorite car so far. It fit me well (I'm 6'3") and you definitely feel that solid German quality every time you're inside. With how light and powerful this Golf is, it definitely felt like a little sports car. At the same time, it got between 26-34MPG which is impressive! The hatchback style let me use my car as a mini SUV many times, from loading the trunk full of soil bags, or 2x4s, or camping gear, this car has way more utility than one would expect. I'd say if you can't afford to own a sports car, an SUV, and an economical daily commuter, this is the car for you, as it does all of those things in one package thus eliminating the need for 3 different car payments! As with all Germans cars, my advice is to preferably buy one with existing warranty, but these Golfs are getting so cheap now that it's not a huge risk if you don't. They are also easy to work on, so if you're handy you can do a lot of maintenance / repairs on your own.

Most Fun Car I've Owned

by ChrisJ from Minneapolis, MN on Wed Apr 24 2019

Speaking as a former BMW owner, this is the most fun car I've ever owned. It has more than enough torque and power for a daily driver, and the handling never fails to put a smile on my face. You can throw it into a corner without any nary a thought of oversteer and come out of the corner looking like a hero (especially with the rev-matching DSG). I also appreciate all the little hidden features such as the hooks in the trunk for hanging grocery bags, the space under the trunk floor to store the privacy cover, the wine caddies along the side (at least, that's what I've been using them for), the felt-lined door caddies that fit water bottles, the wipers that automatically shift positions to help the blades last longer, and the list goes on. There is so much attention to detail, and the fit and finish feels better than the BMW's I've owned. Yes, a few of the plastics are hard-touch, but they're part of what make this car such a great value for money. I'd gladly trade some soft-touch plastics (that peel in the sun anyway) for this engine and handling. The only car I've ever owned that was as fun to drive was an S2000 AP2, but this car is much more wife-friendly. I often take auto-journalists opinions with a grain of salt. In this case, however, they're right.

Can't go wrong with a GTi

by Martin1980 from Atlanta on Thu May 09 2019

Ok, this is my fifth VW Golf and my third GTi that I've owned so far, so I might be a bit biased. But going back to the same car should tell you something about the brand and the model. The Golf GTi is an icon and rightly so. Enough power for petrol heads, comfort and functionality for every day use and distinctive looks to keep heads turning (yes, even after 5 years in the current Mk7/7.5 drapery). If you want a good all-rounder and don't want to break the bank, consider the Golf GTi. You might just end up buying another one, and another one, and another one, just like me.

1 2 3 4 5

Our Take on the 2016 Volkswagen Golf GTI

The Verdict: Performance and quality shine in the Volkswagen Golf GTI, a refined choice among sport-compacts.

Versus the competition: Quicker than its power specifications suggest, the Golf GTI will give any performance compact a run for its money, and it has a cut-above interior to boot.

Volkswagen overhauled the GTI’s multimedia system for 2016, addressing one of our few complaints about a hatchback that thumped seven competitors two years ago in Cars.com’s $30,000 Cheap Speed Challenge (see the results here).

That was a 2015 car, the first year of the GTI’s current generation. With the subsequent updates, the 2016 GTI is as strong a choice as ever.

The GTI is a middle child of VW’s larger... Read More