Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2017 Golf GTI

2017 Volkswagen Golf GTI

#7 Most Popular Wagon/Hatchback
2017 Volkswagen Golf GTI

Have You Driven the 2017 Volkswagen Golf GTI?

Still the Hot Hatch

by SaintIndy from Indianapolis, Indiana on Thu Oct 05 2017

I traded in an Audi A4 on the GTI, wanting something more efficient without sacrificing performance. The GTI has lived up to my expectations. I prefer the “German-ness” of the GTI over that of my wife’s ‘17 Honda Civic Si, even though the Si is slightly a better performer than the GTI (Japanese car manufacturers have a certain aesthetic, just as the German Marques do, but I prefer the more “analog “ & simpler instrumentation of the GTI over the “digital excess” of the Honda). GTI has a great manual tranny with broad torque band, which is good if you know how to use it. Overall, I would highly recommend this car, not only for its efficiency & performance, but it’s personality as well.

So far, Great!

by chri2518 from Saint Paul, MN on Tue Feb 21 2017

I recently purchased a GTI Autobahn with performance package and 6 speed manual. It is a blast to drive! I am still learning about all of the infotainment system features, but this things is great to drive. It makes any drive more exciting with its acceleration and handling. Best part is, it is practical, safe, and (knock on wood) reliable.

Perfect Car

by CP from SLC, Utah on Fri Feb 09 2018

The GTI is such a perfect blend of fun, performance, economy, style, and comfort. The interior is near luxury-car quality and far better than others in its class. It has plenty of power and is a great daily driver on my 25-30 mile drive to work. I'd buy this car over and over again.

FunForTheMoney!

by Swatkins1251 from South Florida on Mon Aug 08 2016

Bought for the daughter... I must say that it is fun for the money. One thing VW hasn't pushed like Volvo did... safety... It is a great, sporty, zippy little car for running around or on the highway. Great mileage, cheap repairs, great engineering -- typical Volkswagon. Love it... And safe for the daughter.

Finally treated myself to a 2017 GTI Autobahn DSG

by GTI7 from Overland Park, KS on Sun Nov 13 2016

I've always wanted a GTI since high school and was finally in a position in life to get one. Sort of a practical answer to a mid life crisis (in my mid 40's now). I traded a four year old VW Passat (good car but wanted something more exciting). This GTI makes me feel like I'm 20 years old again! Fast and fun, but practical too. I opted for the Night Blue in Autobahn trim with DSG transmission. Very classy, hard to find dark blue. The Autobahn trim is a little pricey but you do get a good NAV system (finally VW!), adaptive HID lighting package, dual zone climate control, 10 way power drivers seat and DCC (Dynamic Chassis Control), Performance Pack, Front Assist (automatic cruise control and forward collision warning with autonomous emergency braking). With DCC, you can set the suspension to Comfort, Normal or Sport. I keep it in Comfort most of the time and it's almost as comfortable a ride as my old Passat. Sport tightens up the suspension, steering and quickens shifting. I drove both a manual and DSG automatic but prefer the DSG for quicker shifts, paddle shifting (on the steering wheel) fun and the fact that I wear work boots while driving it to work. My test drive was at night and I was amazed at the ambient lighting in LED cool white in the foot wells and doors, and the red stripes on the doors and door sills. The leather seats have softened up nicely but are form fitting for me (6'2", 200 lbs), yet still very comfortable on long drives. Being a tall guy, I still have more than enough headroom even with the sunroof, which by the way gets compliments from friends with the cool way it extends out over the roof when open. When waxed and clean, the Night Blue really "pops". I also love the way the speedo and tach do a full sweep when starting the engine and love the brightness of the dynamic (moving) headlights, cornering lights and LED foglights. The GTI is a bit of a "stealth" car meaning it won't get you the attention of a Camaro, but that can be a good thing. Case in point, I've sped by a few police and had them slow down but NOT come after me! (would have been a ticket for sure in a Camaro or Mustang). With the Front Assist package, insurance is almost the same as my old Passat. The My GTI is just the right size for me and my girlfriend, not too big and not too small. Ample hatch room for groceries and the seats will fold down if we need more room. Minor gripes... the Fender sound system does have a sub inside the spare tire (donut tire) and will definitely put out bass but the overall clarity of the sound system is less than I expected. I wish the sunroof had a solid shade instead of the opaque fabric screen (easily fixed by applying window tint to it). It would have been nice to have LED tail lights and license lights but these are small mods I can do myself. This new generation of MK7 Golf GTIs is built in Mexico now instead of Germany (for ones sold in the US), however the build quality is excellent. Solid and tight bank vault feel to the whole car and the paint is great as well. Speech to text works excellent with the new infotainment system, when doing NAV, calling contacts or sending a text. I have just over 600 miles on it, which is the break in period, so I can start to get on it. No problems so far. The one thing I notice about this car more than any other I've owned since my first car (1989 Honda Civic Si) is that I really look forward to getting off work and driving it home (fun time). VW's, and the GTI in particular, have a personality and a feel that you won't find in any other car (short of a Porsche).

If you could only have one car....

by ConejoLoco from Miami, FL on Wed Jan 04 2017

...and could not afford the Golf R (in order to get AWD) this would be it. This is a surprisingly long-legged and comfortable Grand Tourer based on a very solid platform. In Europe, there are three models of GTI -- the Up! which is a tiny little car, the Polo which is about the size a Golf was years go, and the Golf. The formula is the same. Take the engine from the next-size up car, add sporty suspension and a few good looks and voila! There's nothing tuned-to-the-edge about it like some cars in this segment. The 2.0 in the Golf is capable of so much more that I really have no worries about it being durable over time. This is a roomy, comfy, practical (I got the 4-door Sport with a manual) car that is fun to push a little when the time comes after the break-in period. I got the super-duper Platinum warranty so I don't have to worry about much as far as reliability so it's just relax, smile, and drive. Works for me.

Best from VW to date

by PouncingPanzer from Cleveland, OH on Mon Dec 19 2016

I recently acquired a new 2017 GTI Sport as fallout from the "dieselgate" scandal. On that note really quick, the process through the VW claims center has been smooth and prompt as I got closer to the end. My final appointment is at the end of this month. I couldn't wait to get a new GTI though! I test drove this white GTI Sport and right away saw the gains in the Sport model compared to the standard GTI S. The Sport mode is crisp, and sharp. Whilst the comfort makes it feel like a Golf. Perfect. A few nooks and crannies that prove difficult to clean and maintain, and washing it properly takes longer than my 2012 Golf TDI did, but that's OK, because this car is HOT!

The Full Package!

by MassGTIDude from Worcester, MA on Thu Dec 28 2017

I knew I wanted a sporty hatchback coming from a 2002 loaded Passat GLX wagon that I loved and hated giving up. But when the heat goes and you're dealing with single digit winters, you don't have much choice. I didn't need quite as much car as the Passat, and it wasn't fast or sporty enough for my needs now anyway. The choice was narrowed down to the GTI or the Mazda 3 with the 2.5 engine. I was also on the fence about an auto trans or stick, since I was missing a stick for many years but have a 30 mile daily commute in traffic. So the choice was clear finally. Get a 2017 GTI Sport DSG. For essentially the same price after discounts as the Mazda, you get a better motor, suspension, brakes, and interior. You give up a few gadgets and get a big smile every time you push START and give it some gas. I'm torn as to whether I'll mod the car because it drives exceedingly well stock. I bought new a '97 M3 and kept it 7 years because it drove so well. Nothing could touch it for performance or practicality. Nothing that is until this car! It matches it in performance and handling at half its price. So yeah, I like this car.

I Love Volkswagen's.

by OScholta from Lakeville MN on Tue Mar 14 2017

Its a good thing they make a great car. It's why they can pull off a cheat and brush themselves off! GTI = SMILE primary use is committing but I had to select having fun. Owned a 2012 VW, drove for 75000 miles, Performed the maintenance, replaced the tires, replaced the horn, That is it!

Togti

by TOGTI from Greenville on Sat Apr 22 2017

Great car! What a car to drive on the secondary roads! This my 8th VW. I have enjoyed of them. Do not understand all the hoop la on Vw. People trying to make money

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Our Take on the 2017 Volkswagen Golf GTI

The verdict:

Performance and quality shine in the Volkswagen Golf GTI, a refined choice among sport-compacts.

Versus the competition:

Quicker than its power specifications suggest, the Golf GTI will give any performance compact a run for its money, and it has a cut-above interior to boot.

Editor's note: This review was written in August 2016 about the 2016 Volkswagen Golf GTI, but little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2017, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

Volkswagen overhauled the GTI’s multimedia system for 2016, addressing one of our few complaints about a hatchback that thumped seven competitors two years ago in Cars.com’s $30,000 Cheap Speed Challenge (see the results here).

That was a 2015 car, the first year of the GTI’s current generation. With the subsequent updates, the 2016 GTI is as strong a choice as ever.

The GTI is a middle child of... Read More