2017 Golf SportWagen

2017 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen

2017 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen

Have you driven the 2017 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen?

Great Value - Great Features/Technology for Price

by sln from Southeast Michigan on Mon Dec 19 2016

I purchased the Sportwagen S 4motion with DSG transmission. Only options were the mats and safety kit. After considering a 2017 Audi Allroad at $54,000 sticker price I purchased this VW with a sticker of $26,000 instead. At half the price this is by far, not HALF the car. To the contrary, especially considering the Audi was at least $15k over priced and had way too much marketing junk on it to make you think you are getting something valuable. I really loved the Audi, but this VW is very comfortable, is technically advanced with the AWD system and DSG. I like the simple controls and logical design of this car. I don't need nav because this car has an easy to use integration with Apple CarPlay. The engine is quite smooth and powerful for this size car. The seating position is comfortable and the fabric seats are warm in the winter even without the heated elements on. Steering is direct and at the very low price out the door, there is a lot of opportunity to spend a few additional dollars on some extras, such as the winter tires/wheels that I purchased. Some pundits dismiss the Haldex AWD system, but this car is quite impressive and with the 195/60/16 winter Michelins on, this car is fun to drive in the winter conditions. There are three quite simple modes for the TC and Stability settings. 1. Standard all on. 2. TC limited. 3. TC limited and Stability control limited. The systems can not be completely turned off like the Golf R, but there is enough there to have fun driving in the snow. The engine takes regular fuel, or premium if you desire, and perhaps the only downside is the smallish fuel tanks, of about 13 gallons. The car is well built and design is professional and buttoned down.

Checks all the boxes

by GX from Fall City, WA on Mon May 29 2017

We bought this car to replace two diesel Golfs with manual transmissions. We really liked our Golfs' steering, handling, manual transmission shifting, hatchback versatility and high quality interiors. A job change requires a commute over often snowy, 1355' Tiger Pass So rather than get an SUV we bought the Sportwagen with a six speed manual and 4Motion. It has the same great steering, handling, transmission and interior but with all wheel drive and seat heaters. Also, its quieter and holds more stuff. Except for the lesser fuel efficiency (31.5 mpg so far) its perfect.

Perfect for my needs - at least, so far.

by 100 Cars and Counting from Denver, CO on Wed Jan 04 2017

I've been driving a Ford Escape the last three years, almost all in-town driving, about 15,000 miles per year. I really had no problems with the Escape, but wanted something a little less truck-like and closer to the ground, and maybe with a little better mileage. I've only got about 500 miles on my 2017 Golf Sportwagen S with 4Motion, but so far, so good. The build quality seems generally good, although there is a little noise coming from somewhere in the driver's side door, which I expect the dealer can resolve. I'm still avoiding hard acceleration and braking, since it's so new, but performance and handling seem to be pretty good. The Ford was plenty fast but it handled like, ahem, a truck. This feels like a car, has little body roll in cornering, and seems neutral and predictable. I might invest in upgrading the wheels from 16 to 17-inch, and buying summer tires, if it ever stops snowing, but otherwise I can't think of anything I'd change, although it's too bad the 4Motion option is only available in the base trim - I'd enjoy a sunroof and automated climate control, which are only available in the front-wheel-drive version and Alltrack models. For the money, I'd say this is a very good vehicle for those looking for a small, slightly sporty wagon with all-wheel drive and might be a better option for those who enjoy driving than the Subaru, or those who can't afford an Audi.

Feels good to Drive, Android Auto a big plus

by JM from Nashville, TN on Thu Nov 30 2017

I just picked up a new 2017 Golf Sportwagen to replace my 2012 TDI Jetta Sportwagen. They are pretty similar, but I do like the response of the new gas model more than the diesel. I had gotten used to the diesel (my first and likely only diesel car), but this new car feels better - more responsive, it accelerates better, shifts more smoothly in the lower gears, and just feels more "right". I got the base (S) model, so I lost heated seats (which I may miss in the winter, but to me, weren't worth the added cost) and leatherette interior. I actually prefer the feeling of cloth, anyway. The "infotainment center" has received a few helpful upgrades since 2012. I don't know what model year first had it, but my 2017 has Android Auto and Apple Play options, which are a great inclusion. I got to try Android Auto out a little on my drive back from the dealership (a 480-mile drive, as I purchased it out-of-state), and the integration of Google Maps is great, and renders the navigation package useless, in my opinion. There's also a list of Android apps that have Android Auto functionality, including Pandora, Overdrive, NPR One, and many other audio/music/listening apps. If you still listen to CDs, the player has been moved to the glovebox, which seems a bit odd, but should be fine if you don't need to switch CDs while you drive. It is also no longer a mulit-disc player. The SD card slot has moved to the glovebox, as well. There is a USB port (Android Auto and Apple Play apparently both need this to function). This was something that I was surprised was not included in my 2012 Sportwagen, and I'm glad it's there. The Aux (headphone jack) input still exists, and is right next to the USB input, under the infotainment screen (in front of the gear shift). This placement seems much better than where it used to be (on the front armrest). The cargo area is still large, but has diminished just slightly from when the car was built on the Jetta frame. I have done measurements, and the differences shouldn't discourage too many people. I'm a traveling musician, and have gear that needed to fit in the cargo area, and am confident that will all still fit in there. On that topic, the handy "rear pass-through" feature still exists, allowing one to fold the back armrest all the way down to create a rectangular hole through to the cargo area. This is very useful for speaker stands and maybe some long microphone stands. I have two children, and this feature is the reason I bought my 2012 Sportwagen. It allows you to put long objects through the back seat without losing a seat that a child seat would occupy.

Decent substitute for Jetta Sportwagon

by Fahrvergnugen1 from Trenton, NJ on Thu Mar 23 2017

While slightly smaller, the Golf S Sportwagon is a practical and able successor to the Jetta Sportwagon. The manual shift transmission is the same smooth, reliable VW unit. The 1.8 litre gas powerplant is peppier though thirstier than the diesel. Handling is precise. Storage capacity is excellent.

Love driving it!

by VanessaS from St. Louis on Thu Mar 29 2018

Smooth ride, all modern technology, spacious for all family members. The interior is set up perfectly. The dark blue color is beautiful. Just a really great car.

Cool Station Wagon

by SwagginWagen69 from Minneapolis, MN on Tue Oct 24 2017

Many people may think a cool station wagon is an oxymoron, but I am really happy with the handling, features, and even the style of this car. It had decent pick up and averages about 30mpg on premium. The only thing that i would change looking back is the dealer I bought the car from. I hope not all VW are the same, but it was the worst experience I have ever had.

I smile when I get in!!!!

by Love my VW from Orange County,ca on Sun Jan 14 2018

Have only had the Sport Wagen for 3 weeks now but absolutely LOVE IT. The xtra long sun roof is awesome. I love driving at night...the little lights in the interior make you feel warm and fuzzy especially the little line lights down the whole length of the door.

Engineering flaws again

by Iwantadifferentcar from Wheaton, IL on Tue Aug 28 2018

The 2017 VW Golf has an engineering flaw in the sunroof that causes the drains to get clogged with dirt. Most sunroofs have a metal windscreen that pops up, but the Golf has a fabric windscreen that captures dust and allows it to flow into the channel. Our sunroof leaked as a result. We had it in for the 10k, 20k service and were never told about maintaining the sunroof by blowing out the drains. But when it leaked they said it was our fault due to poor maintenance, while also telling us that at 40k miles they would have checked it. VW is not a good company. We bought the diesel that they engineered to pass the emissions test illegally, and had to buy this car as a replacement. We now have a regular job of blowing out the drains.

Does not recommend this car!!

Excellent car

by Donna from St Cloud MN on Thu Feb 22 2018

The car has a lot of room. It is very comfortable. The media center and sound system are excellent. There is a lot of storage space and luggage rack on top.

1 2