1997 GTI

4 out of 5 stars Interior Design
3 out of 5 stars Reliability
5 out of 5 stars Performance
3 out of 5 stars Exterior Styling

Have You Driven the 1997 Volkswagen GTI?

No Way 250K

by Driven to Distraction from Atlanta, Georgia on Mon Nov 03 2008

In 1997 when I bought this new 6 cyl 5-speed VW "pocket rocket" the salesman told me I'd get "250K miles out of it" but numerous (& often repetitive) problems kept it at the dealer service center way too much (& often in vain - eg., the electrical system stumped VW experts). Recurring "check engine" warnings made me reluctant to take it on road trips. At 67K I reluctantly called it quits. Replacement parts & tires are costly & scarce, slow to arrive & sometimes failed within hours of installation. When it was up & running it drove wonderfully well but those fleeting moments couldn't compensate for all the down time, trouble & expense. I'm seldom one to "do the math" but I could have owned a luxury car for what I sank into this near-lemon. On the plus side, it was small but sturdy, good on gas & heaven to drive compared to most cars I've driven in the USA & abroad. It was hard to find a suitable replacement among the choices available these days. To my surprise, its value declined rapidly - I paid too much for it initially & dealer services only added to my stress.

Does not recommend this car!!

Sleeper

by CrzyAsn from on Thu Oct 30 2008

This car is amazing! It doesn't look like much, and that is probably my most favorite feature. It comes stock with 172 hp and 173 ft/lb torque which means you can race and beat any eclipse before 05 that has not been modified.

Our Take on the 1997 Volkswagen GTI

The 1997 Volkswagen GTI-VR6 may seem like the high-performance bargain of the year - or the strangest little car you've ever been in.

You'd never guess that the little hatchback has the suspension of a $30,000 sports car and a mighty 172-horsepower engine under its plain brown wrapper exterior - for a base price of under $20,000.

But the GTI is such a quirky car, it can't help but trigger arguments.

He: Let me try to conjure up a visual image of the GTI-VR6 with two words - Guy Car.

She: You mean "blind guy car."

He: What I'm trying to say is there is no mistaking the GTI for a family sedan, or even one of those "secretary specials" like the Chrysler Sebring or the Ford Probe. From the... Read More