1989 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews

1989 Volkswagen Jetta
4.0
Average based on 2 reviews

by from Milwaukee WI on August 28, 2010

This jetta (model) set the benchmark of quality for today's cars. When you look to the highways these things are still chuggin'..

Best Jetta I ever had!

by from Reno, Nevada on July 4, 2015

I traded my terrible VW Cabriolet in for a fully loaded Jetta Carat. I loved this car from day one! I was heading to a friends house one day when I saw this beauty up for sale. It had BBS 15" mesh silver alloys, dark tinted windows and was a polished steel blue metallic. Absolutely georgous! After a test drive and looking it over I bought it a few days later. It had 54k miles on it and had every option except leather. It had a five stick with sunroof. The car drove beautifully, smooth, responsive, and everything worked! I averaged between 28 to 42 mpg on Chevron supper unleaded in mixed driving. At 90k miles the ac stopped and I learned the ac pipes needed to be replaced and would cost $1200! I said forget it and rolled my windows down when it was hot. At 100k miles the heat core went out and was replaced under warranty by VW. At 105k the CV joints went bad and had to be replaced. At 120k I had all the struts replaced and the brakes done. Also for some strange reason the fuel pump in the gas tank went bad and had to be replaced. At 150k miles I had the entire stereo replaced for a custom sound system for improved sound quality. At 157k miles the water pump was leaking and when at the dealer I learned my head gasket was starting to weep. It was at this time I decided to take the plunge and have the head gasket redone. The dealership gave me a loaner and 3 weeks later I had my car back. The replaced the head gasket, had the head machined, replaced all the plugs with triple electrode plugs, replaced the cap and rotor, all new belts, new water pump, new battery, new plug cables, all new hoses and clamps and served the transmission. The cost back then was a mind blowing $3500.00 I almost passed out. I sucked it, paid the bill and put another 100,000 miles on it. After the engine rebuild all the car needed was regular oil changes until I traded it in with 248,000 miles on it. By this time the clutch (the original) was starting to go and the transmission was going to need to be serviced or rebuilt. The most amazing thing about this car was how well it held up. The dealer that took it on trade was shocked how was it looked like new and the finance man bought the car himself. The interior held up beautifully. No squeaks no rattles nothing wrong. One of my all time favorite cars.