2000 Volkswagen Jetta

The 4th Gen Jetta is the best in the books

by from Harrisonburg, Virginia on August 24, 2017

I've owned this vehicle since 2010, and now in 2017 I have only done routine maintenance and driven it over 70K miles. The vehicle's interior seats have torn at the seams, but I just stitched them up myself. Also, the trunk sometimes got a little bit of a water leak inside, but I figured out it was coming from the tail light gaskets, so I just used a bit of clear caulk and that solved that. The vehicle is not fast by any means, I have the 2.0L gasoline motor paired with a 5-speed manual transmission, and going down the highway is a bit annoying with the loud revs of the motor. But the car performs flawlessly, and the first few gears are quick enough to get you where you need to go. Would I recommend these cars to a friend? Yes. Would I buy another? Yes. I have owned many VW's and this is by far my favorite.

3rd best car out of 12 I have owned.

by from M/S, CA on May 25, 2017

VW are a well built car. The new 6 cylnders engine have lots of power, almost like a turbo. I like the 5 speed manual.

Fun Car To Drive

by from USA on May 21, 2017

Great car in general, fun to drive. Lots of additional aftermarket mods/upgrades to choose from. Even if your a serious driver this car is cool to drive, handles well, takes corners nibbley, has peppy acceleration, nice interior styling and a classy look. Overall you can't go wrong with a Volkswagen. Das auto for life! Peace!

VW Jetta VR6

by from new Jersey on January 18, 2014

currently I have 197000 on this care I owned since 2003 bought used with 29000 miles. excellent car. I enjoy driving it till this day. the VR6 engine is a great engine with a lot of power and torque. for a VR6 I achieved 27-29 miles gallon with car when I drive slow (55 mph or slower) at low RPMs. I still have full power and every thing is operational in the car.

not recommended , most unreliable car in the world

by from Toronto , Canada on December 18, 2013

Most unreliable car in the world , keep fixing it on daily basis put more in than car is worth and still new thinks come up. I hate this car

Great Experience

by from New Jersey on October 27, 2013

This is the second car I purchased using cars.com. Excellent website. All the private sellers and dealers got back to me right away. Saved so much time driving from place to place. All the information is right there. Highly recommend!

Most simple car I've ever owned

by from Hoover, al on August 17, 2013

came without the bells and whistles. No power windows or power seats. But it got me where I needed to go. Got a newer Jetta as a result a few months back. First foreign sedan I've owned. Put some money into it but well worth it. Got me back and forth to,work and my wife would drive it to the airport and leave it when she traveled. Highly recommended for its comfort and performance. Not a car for young kids to ride because of the smaller size but a great get to work car. Good gas mileage.

12 yrs old

by from Jeffersonville, IN on October 30, 2012

We bought this car new 4/2000 for a high milage car. Wow, is it ever. I have 375,000 on it and still going. Normal maintaince, timing belt and water pump every 80k and oil change every 7k and still have the orginal clutch; 5 speed stick. I have averaged from 48 - 50mpg since it was new. Luv it! and still driving.

Money Pit

by from Los Angeles, CA on August 9, 2012

I have had my 2000 Volkswagen for 8 years. I bought it used for $8500, and only with 42k miles on it. It currently only has 97k miles on it, and in the last 4 years I have piled endless amounts of money in to it just for repairs. Everything is made of plastic, and breaks easily! I have had to replace: - the oil cap and pan (after all of my oil siphoned out of my car while driving - $300) Oil pan is aluminum and weak - Coolant line twice in 3 months for leaks ($600) - Break Pads and Rotors 3 times ($600) - Splash Guard (plastic and constantly falls down) ($200) - Hubcab (stolen twice - just pops off) $50ea - AC/Filter ($300) - ABS Light Sensor (over $1000 for diagnostic) - Check Engine Light Sensor 2 times ($150) - Temperature Senor ($100) - Timing Belt ($700) Not to mention all of the things in the interior that are cheap and broke quickly: - Cup Holder - Glove compartment handle - Radio (have since replaced) - Seats stain VERY easily and are hard to clean Do not buy this car unless you have the money to repair it constantly!!! Sad because I love how it drives, has a GREATTTT sound system and awesome gas mileage. Everyone knows they are cheap, poorly made cars, therefore they are even harder to get rid of.

Jetta!

by from Asheville, NC on March 21, 2012

I love the way it looks and the way it sounds! It is a great car that is compact enough to fit just about anywhere. It is a great little car.

Our Expert Review: 2000 Volkswagen Jetta