2001 Volkswagen Jetta

More character than new cars on the road!

by from Stevens Point, WI on August 24, 2017

This car is distinctively Volkswagen from its styling cues to reliability. Volkswagen will go forever! (if you take care of them)

I love this car

by on August 18, 2017

This car is great to ride around in. It is reliable, and it is a fun car to have. My car has 143,000 and still has a lot of life left.

If I had the money I would buy it now!

by from Tuxedo NY on August 2, 2017

Smooth, stylish, and an overall amazing quality car. Best used car I've driven in years. Would definitely buy if I had the money.
Not Rated Reliability

Volkswagon Jetta

by from Norfolk, Va on July 20, 2017

It was very reliable, good fuel efficency, plenty leg room, very nice 5 disk changer, very nice imported car.

Most Reliable Car I've ever owned.

by from on June 7, 2017

Drove this vehicle from 2003-2014 and absolutely loved it. Drove well in all kinds of weather and never had to do anything more than general maintenance. Would love to own another one.

'01 TDI Still Going Strong +275k Miles

by from Suffolk, VA. on March 14, 2015

I purchased this TDI in July '01. Its main purpose is the daily 100 mile commute round trip. It's a 5spd TDI GLS. Features included Leather, electric windows, electric locks, heated seats, monsoon 8 speaker sound system, A/C and steering controlled Cruise and stereo controls. Ever since purchasing this Mexican built TDI, I have documented all maintenance and fuel fill ups with calculated fuel mileage.. Projected EPA fuel mileage was 42/49, city/highway. I have always received better than 44mpg. When the mileage was lower than 46, I knew it was either tire pressure, driving habits or clogged EGR valve and or cooler. This has only happened twice, prior to adding Lucas fuel additive that cleans the valves. Through the years I have always used Michelin tires, MXV4, H rated, V rated and now Premier A/S H rated. Only with the Premier did the mileage drop to 46 consistently. When I had the V rated MXV4, I had the tire pressure at 40psi. I was receiving mileage for highway close to consistent 51mpg. But the ride was too rough. This car has had failures, window regulators, alternator bearings, A/C leaked. But only the window regulators failed prior to 100K miles. Both the A/C and the alternator bearings failed after 240K miles. I have kept up with the maintenance and not had any problems other than age issues. This car was built so well that only the interior console is the issue in my mind. Great idea, poor design. Electrically, the clock spring on the air bag on the steering column failed. The dealer fixed it . As for the leather, only the driver seat shows minor creasing. As for my driving habits, usually on long rides, roughly 500 per week, with exception to a ten month span when I drove my truck. As for the snowy conditions, the front wheel drive works well. Currently, I believe I need to look into replacing the injectors. At 275K, who can complain...

2001 VW - Best car that I've owned

by from Tampa, FL on August 7, 2014

I had purchase this car brand new back in 2001. And, let me tell you that this car is great! Good on gas miles, fast on highway when driving. And, is a safe and reliable on the road. Still driving this car with 125,000 miles. And, I know that I will get over 200,000 miles on this car. Just like my friend did with this same car.

Excellent Highway Car

by from Sinking Spring PA on May 4, 2014

The TDI is ment to cover a lot of pavement. Low 40's MPG on the highway and lower entry cost than a hybrid. BUT a Diesel has some higher maintenance needs than a gas car, However, it will last much longer. Got mine with 125K and I'm hoping to get at lest 10 years out of it. There are some issues I still need to fix but overall this is a very solid car that provides excellent mileage. 5 speed transmission is tight, very agile, good breaks, comfortable interior. DON'T GET A DIESEL if you do around town driving most of the time. go gas or hybrid.

Great reliable affordable car

by from Schaumburg, IL on January 11, 2013

I've owned 3 VWs in my life, 2 Jettas and 1 Golf, and I absolutely love VW : you get a German-engineered great car for a very competitive price, much lower than other Germans! I never had any reliability issues other than normal wear, they're comfortable and very nicely made. The exterior design is not fantastic, but to each his own. The guys at my local VW dealership are also very nice and helpful, free wash, free fluid top-ups, etc. Buying a VW is a sensible buy, new or pre-owned.

Piece of junk I ever purchased

by from El Monte, CA on December 27, 2012

I had been taking this car from mechanic to mechanic. After the mechanic fixes something the light,check engine goes up again, and now one more ligh epc is on. Can't wait to get rid of it.

Our Expert Review: 2001 Volkswagen Jetta