Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2002 Jetta

2002 Volkswagen Jetta

2002 Volkswagen Jetta

4.0

4 out of 5 stars Comfort
4 out of 5 stars Interior Design
4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2002 Volkswagen Jetta?

my dream car that saved my life

by 02 bora lover from clifton, nj on Tue Sep 18 2007

i love my 2002. jetta 1.8t. it has been a great reliable car and it saved me when i was hit very hard by another vehicle that wasnt paying attention. most people dont realize vw's need more strict maintenance then your average car. i run synthtic oil and use only premium exxon gas. this is why many have reliability problems. if you are having an oil sludge issue just use and engine flush and you will be good as new. anyway i can definately say i will sware by vw for the rest of my life. i recommend this car to anyone but keep in mind it is a little more money to own but it is worth every penny.

Great driving car? when it ran

by Done with VW from GA on Mon Dec 06 2010

I purchased a used 2002 1.8T GLS in early 2005 with 35k miles. Car was in great condition with a clean carfax. Great styling, and great driving? when it ran. I can't remember all the repairs this car had to have, but I have a stack of receipts for them. Repairs are EXPENSIVE. Transmission went as soon as the warranty was up. Had it rebuilt, and after countless more expensive repairs, it the transmission failed again (as soon as the warranty was up on that one). At this point, I decided to cut my losses and get rid of it. This was the best decision I could have made with this car. Every time I was at the dealer, everyone bringing their cars in seemed to be having the same problems. I will never buy another VW product again. Horrible, horrible experience. I could have purchased a brand new luxury car with the money I dumped into keeping this one running. They did get a few things right with this car. The paint/finish was very durable and held up great. Ergonomically, it was great, and the body seemed to be very solid.

Does not recommend this car!!

Never lets me down

by JettaDriver from PA on Sun Mar 25 2007

I've owned my jetta for about two years, and in that time I put on 48000 miles on it. Its never stalled, broken down, or had any problems besides a light bulb change. The only problem I have, is speeding tickets

Great car

by Vdub lover from La Porte, IN on Tue Feb 21 2012

First car I have actually owned. First standard transmission as well. It is quite good on gas, up to 30mpg to and from school, and yet it is still a bit sporty. Nothing is really wrong with this car, except that tall people will want to get something else. I have a friend that is 6'3" and he has trouble fitting inside. One other bad thing is that, if you don't live in a major city, then you might have to drive a ways to find a repairman to fix the VW, in my case it is a 45 min drive if something goes wrong. But it is really nice, mine has heated seats and mirrors, as well as a sunroof.

She lived a long, good life

by Bcchance from northern Virginia on Mon Jan 19 2015

We bought our 2.0 GLS new off the lot 13.5 years ago. After getting through the car's idiosyncrasies in the first couple years (driver's window staying down, among other odd quirks), the car has been incredibly cheap to own through 237,000 miles. The leather seats and great sound system made for countless comfortable commutes. She survived two deer impacts with little more than a dented fender. And, the 27 MPG at the pump is still as dependable as the IRS. All told, we've spent $4,000 in repairs since we paid the loan 10 years ago (tires, timing belt, suspension refresh, compressor)...if that's not reliable, I don't know what is. Good car, great value.

Buyer Beware

by JettaTurboOwner from Maryland on Sun Oct 22 2006

I bought my used 2002 Jetta in 2004 and loved the getup and go of the turbo engine. Then my engine light came on. I took it to the dealer, who told me they didnt know what was wrong, they couldnt find anything so maybe I didnt close my gascap tight enough. They turned it off, I drove it off of the lot and immediately it returned. This time I was told it would need to go to a VW dealer since I bought it used from a non-VW dealership. I waited since I hadnt experienced problems and a few weeks later my car stopped shifting. Well not completely...it wouldnt go into 5th gear at all but it would the others, except for the awful lurching and clunking noises. After 2 more dealership trips I have learned there is an internal transmission problem with 02 & 03 Jettas and since the factory warranty has expired, VW wont fix my car. The problem is neither will the extended warranty company I purchased an extended warranty from as VW is aware of this issue and they are refusing to take responsibility for it. Beware, these cars are junk, VW knows it and wont issue a recall to correct it.

Does not recommend this car!!

Reliable, great on gas and fun to drive!

by Car Aficionado from on Wed Aug 26 2009

Mine is a 99 model and it has been a great car.I have never had any problems with it so far. I have driven it for around 5000 miles since I bought . Also something I like is that it uses very little gas , I don't spend more than 30 dollars on gas a month. Last thing, is a car that's fun to drive specially when curving or driving over 60 mph. A good all around car!

Good Car

by John from on Wed Feb 26 2014

Driving excellent, Good performance on mountain road, curve route, Highway, and local condition. A good first car.

I love this car.

by SoleInvictus from Boise, ID on Mon Jul 02 2018

I've been driving it for nearly ten years. This car was with me through my twenties: college, grad school, my marriage to my wife, road trips to the west coast. Sure, it has had a few problems - the driver's side axle sheared in half after 110K miles, the front bumper shroud had a nasty habit of coming off, and the auxiliary coolant pump croaked around 90K miles, but it never, not once in ten years, left me stranded on the side of the road.

An incredible car

by TDI Fan from WI on Fri Jun 12 2009

The VW Jetta TDI is a joy to drive and gets better mileage than virtually every other car on the road, including all HYBRIDS! The car has tons of torque, getting you moving quickly and handles incredible well.

1 2 3 4 5

Our Take on the 2002 Volkswagen Jetta

She'd gone back to Barney Street, to a time when her age was just childhood. That was 43 years ago in Marshall, Tex., where she grew up. Now she was reminiscing in the whirr of traffic on I-95, heading south toward Richmond. I tried to listen, but my mind was lost somewhere in the fifth gear of the 2001 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLX.

I was smiling, and perhaps my wife thought I was following her story. But I was lost in wonder. How do the Germans come up with cars like these -- station wagons that handle as well as sports coupes?

We cleared the bottleneck at Springfield. Traffic was flowing at a de facto legal speed.

The road has its own democracy. The posted speed limit might be 55... Read More