Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2013 Jetta Hybrid

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid

3.9

Have You Driven the 2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid?

Love VW but this car needs some work

by VW Owner A from New Jersey on Wed Aug 03 2016

I absolutely love VW and driving this 2013 Jetta Hybrid all over the place. Handles exceptionally well on the highway and in city traffic. Gas mileage is around 40 to 42 MPG and only around 25$ to fill up premium. HOWEVER... I have spent a ton of money on this car. New steering rack at 60,000 miles (3K), multiple electronics issues, new tires and have complaints about the braking system. Extremely unpredictable and brakes differently each time. I have complained about the car "bucking" when going in and out of the hybrid system since around 25,000 miles. VW has been awesome and service exceptional. VW is installing a new transmission at 70,000 miles. I will buy another car from VW since I love the handling and driving capabilities but will be buying a TDI or gas... no hybrids for me. Again VW has been amazing though with this transmission issue.

I bought a lemon

by Not happy car owner from BROOKLYN on Sun Jul 08 2018

The car had no problem until my warranty expired. At 37,000 miles since I bought the 2013 Jetta hybrid it needs a transmission unity with a cost of $6,000. It's absurd that a car needs a new transmission after only 5 years owning it. The gasoline engine is working and charging the battery. However the hybrid engine doesn't work and the battery is always full. I decided not to fix the problem unless Volkswagen comes forward and gives me some kind of help offsetting this tremendous expense. I will get rid of the car and NEVER purchase a Volkswagen car ever. I hope Volkswagen is listening.

Saving on Gas

by PastorYeoman from Fayetteville, TN on Tue Nov 05 2013

I have only had this car for about a month, however, in that month I have driven about 4,000 miles. My average fuel consumption is 44.5 mpg. I got the Premier package with all the bells and whistles and I am loving it! The only issue is that on long trips, my wife says that the passenger seats are not quite as comfortable. The car is a hybrid so you get excellent mileage but because of the VW features, you also get the power you need. I was pleasently surprised with the take off power. Overall, looking like the best car purchase I've ever made!

We love our Jetta Hybrid

by Hollywood from Fairfax VA on Thu Aug 22 2013

We love our Jetta Hybrid. Excellent get up and go from the 18 wheeler disasters on the highway and then electric mode city traffic driving, We have more fun and are so proud to have taken the risk to buy it! Price was great, dealer had it ready on time. Smooth handling with the once in awhile Boost need, makes us not even question buying it. DC and NOVa driving make it perfect with its turbocharged engine. We want to wear tshirts in our clinic to promote hybrids. Look out Prius, there is a truck in your rear view mirror that cannot slow down for you.

Where, oh where is my Jetta

by Doc from Wilmington N.C. on Wed Jan 16 2013

On December 20 2012, I purchaesd a 2013 Jetta Hybrid. I traded in a 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid with 131,000 miles because I no longer trusted it for long road trips. On Christmas eve, the Jetta stalled at a red light. The engine warning light came on after it was restarted. The dealership had it for a week. There was no explanation for the malfunction. Two days later the warning light came on again. The dealership has had it since (10 days) without a solution. The car has excellent styling, is quite comfortable for my 6' 2" frame, and has more technichologic bells and whistles than I will ever use. It rides solidly with good responsiveness and handling. Driver vision is good. It seemed to be getting good gas mileage for the time that I had it for city driving. I would like to bond with it, but where, oh where, has my silver Jetta gone, and will I ever be able to trust it again?

Does not recommend this car!!

I like it more than my BMW 335i for comfort!

by HybridLover from San Leandro on Mon May 22 2017

This car handles well, it's quiet on the freeway, and is a smooth ride - both city and highway. I receive many compliments on this car; people are surprised that it's a hybrid. My only complaint is it could use more power for take off from a stop on a hill.

Fun Hybrid

by hogbear from Little Rock, AR on Thu Mar 13 2014

I would first say that I wouldn't have bought this car based on the sticker price. If I wanted to spend $30k for a Jetta with good gas mileage, I would have gotten the TDI to save money. However, we just bought this new as the dealership had marked it down $6,000 off sticker. We couldn't turn that deal down. So far, we are thrilled. I have owned two Prius's and while I do think those are great cars, we did have the battery pack die at 104,000 and it was out of warranty. $4,000 to fix, so we traded in. And with VW's reputation of breaking more frequently, we extended out to a 100,000 bumper to bumper extended warranty. That gives peace of mind, especially with this being the first year model hybrid. In comparing to the Prius, it is a blast to drive. It's comfortable, the interior is polished, and it handles well. The brakes are a little weird as most reviews outline, but you adapt quickly. We haven't driven enough to know what mpg we're going to get, but based so far, it will fall in the mid 30s. That's not as great as the EPA says, but it's still very good. Just remember - you're paying for premium gas. Again, I wouldn't pay sticker price, but for the deal we got, it was a no-brainer.

Too new

by Silver Hair from NJ on Sun Mar 24 2013

Too new to know if it will be as good as the other 5 VWs we have owned over the past 20 something years. Husband has a Jetta Sportwagon TDI that he loves. A Golf saved our lives when we were T-boned. Purchased this car for the good driving feel that VW has and the safety record. Mileage with the Hybrid is as advertised. Have owned car a month. No complaints.

The conversion from gas to electric has a fault

by Chuck from London, Canada on Thu Jul 05 2018

I love my Jetta I just don?t like the fact that the company is covering up something again, There is a fault in the electronics. I?ve had my car for 4 years now and every 4-6 months there is and issue with the conversion parts.

2014 Jetta Hybrid a Great Car even next to a TDI

by dokker from Woodstock, Maine on Mon Apr 10 2017

I had a 2014 Jetta TDI SEL with navigation and Fender stereo upgrade. Now I have a 2014 Jetta Hybrid SEL. This is a great car and it's getting the same mileage if not better than the TDI. Its hybrid system is amazing, smooth and fun (with a 44 mph all electric mode) and the seems as good as the Fender upgrade on the TDI. Lots of stuff is identical between the two cars but the Hybrid has a fully automatic climate control system and much better gauging and MFD options. I've been using all grades of gasoline (91 is recommended) and haven't seen a big mileage difference. The Hybrid has a nice weighty feel up front (unlike the 1.4 TSI gas only versions which feel underpowered and light - took a test drive in one before I bought the Hybrid). The TDI did have amazing torque and seamless highway power but the Hybrid has power if you need it but you'll see a drop in economy if you drive it hard all the time - most people wouldn't be able to tell it's a hybrid if you didn't tell them. I have 2-5 years of drivetrain/hybrid/battery components left and that's my only concern but haven't had any warranty problems to date.

1 2