2012 Jetta SportWagen

4.7 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

TDI Sportwagen

by Dave from AK on June 22, 2013

My wife and I purchased this vehicle and drove it from Florida to Homer, AK. It drove like a dream, and we only spent $500 in fuel on the trip, $500 with a topper and two bikes!!! In that aspect its great! People complaining about the length of time it takes for their car to heat up need to realize it is a diesel engine, not a gasoline one. It does take some time for the diesel to get warm, but it isn't an eternity. The one problem we are having right now is an airbag light. We are still trying to get the car over to Anchorage to get it fixed, but it has been proving difficult due to the Alaska Marine Highway system, not VWs fault. The vehicle is very comfortable, but if you are over 6', yes the driver/passenger front seat headrests can be uncomfortable. I am planning to try and purchase some better tires as well, because the ones I have on their now due create a lot of road vibration noise. They are low profile tires, though... I haven't had any issues with the blue tooth, other than hitting the button on the steering wheel by accident. It should be noted that when you park and put the transmission in park, if you are on an incline the car will roll about half a foot backwards. Very annoying in my opinion. The rash of HPFP issues does have me concerned, but I am not quite ready to trade the VW in, yet. All in all it is a good car, with plenty of room, and comparable gas mileage of a Prius, but with more pep, comfort, and style.

Safe Yet Sporty

by Huskerchick3 from Little Rock, AR on March 29, 2013

I have had my 2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen SN TDI for about 10 months now and can't say enough great things about it. It definitely has that "German handling." My niece loves it when I make it "zip" along. I find the interior practical yet upscale - in that German understated upscale way. I feel very grounded when I am in the car. My only negative comment about the car is the way the turbo causes it to lug when driving under 10 mph, like in a parking garage. The positives from the turbo outweigh the weird lugging, but it was something I had to get used to. I absolutely love the true red Cornhusker color of the exterior and I enjoy what the car says about me (I think) - that I appreciate a finer automobile without going overboard, I am concerned about fuel efficiency, and I love to make a car go "zip"! Great for anyone wanting the cargo space of an SUV but who also wants better fuel efficiency and more safety (lower center of gravity, less rollover chance).

We loved our wagon, we'll miss it.

by rcr from Phoenix, AZ on April 25, 2017

My wife had always wanted a VW wagon. I was happy with my Jetta but when we saw this pop up we had to jump at it. Surprisingly these cars don't come up on the CPO market too often. The miles were low and the price was fair so we jumped. The only downside was a small dent in the roof, likely caused by someone tying something down too tight but other than that it was in great condition. One of the first things I noticed was the interior, having just jumped from the newer Jetta I realized immediately how nice the interior was. My biggest gripe with the new Jettas was that the interior no longer had the same soft touch materials and other refinements that used to come standard. Now those things only came with upper models. In this case the SE had the nicer interior materials and finish. I love it, it always makes the car feel so much more refined and expensive. As for how the car drives, it's great, even for the smallish engine 170 hp it still has some giddy up, it's likely because of the 177lbs of torque. I never had any issues passing on the freeway and when you put it in sports mode it could really get going. We took it on a few trips to southern California and it was an awesome drive. The ride always felt solid and I thought it was a good balance of comfort and sportiness for when I pushed the speed limit. But, the biggest reason most people look at wagons is their utility and this car did not disappoint. I was regularly surprised at how much we could fit in this car on trips to the furniture or hardware store. The 60/40 fold down back seats came in handy many times and so did the optional velcro Gorilla Grips. On top of the utility, the synthetic leather seats are very tough and clean up very easily. If you do a lot of outdoors activities, have dogs or kids you'll love these especially over cloth seats. There's really nothing we don't love about this car, the only reason we're selling is because I wanted to get something a bit sportier for my longer commute. Otherwise, we'd probably keep this car as long as it ran.

Love my 2012 Jetta TDI

by retired teacher from Walsenburg, CO on August 7, 2013

We've had the car for a few weeks and love the handling and especially the fuel mileage! We live in the foothills of the Rockies and drive small highways, freeways and a few back roads. We're impressed with the little Jettta! We averaged 44.3 mpg on our first fill up. The 6 speed manual transmission is easy to use and gives the car needed power when needed going up hills, just shift to 5th and fly right up!

Worth the extra money.

by PaulD from portage la prairie on December 8, 2012

We purchased the TDI diesel Wagon with the automatic transmission and love it. Awesome ride even in a cold Canadian winters day. I love the way the transmission shifts. If driven right you don't need to break much when coming to a stop. The fuel economy is what makes the car worth the extra money. We are saving the car payment in fuel costs alone. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone with an on the go busy family. The cars safety features are incredible.

Most Fuel Efficient Car I've Owned

by Station Wagon Fan from Southern New England Snow Belt on April 19, 2015

Very pleased with the 2012 Jetta SportWagen TDI I bought new. I compare this to Volvo and Saab Wagons I have owned and this car has much of what I enjoyed in those cars. Nimble handling, thrilling acceleration when you need it, Amazing fuel efficiency at 42 mpg. Has been very reliable with 58,000 miles now. Toasty seat heaters make up for the longer warm up time required for the diesel, and I drive moderately for 10 minutes for it to get to temperature. Has been fine in the snow, although I find the traction control sometimes annoying and will turn it off when climbing hills in the snow. Very comfortable but it took me a few weeks to become a bit more limber to get in and out as compared to the Volvo and the Saab which have a few more inches of space. This car is probably not for the "x-large" American, though most people have found it roomy and comfortable front and back. I can haul a lot stuff with back seats down and like the back seat arm rest pass through for skiis and other long objects. Head rest removal for folding the rear seats is slightly annoying considering it was automatic on the Saab and Volvo. Car however is much less expensive than either of those cars. FIt and finish on the car is quite good and the car feels solid all around.

Love this Jetta

by Phrozen from Newton, ma on February 16, 2018

This car is an everyday commuter and only car in the family, and runs about 25,000 miles/year. It holds everything we need to carry for work and leisure with room to spare, and is comfortable and fun to drive.

Best car I've owned

by Lucia c from San Francisco, ca on September 29, 2017

I was sickened by dieselgate as I loved my 2012 Jetta sportwagen tdi. Everything was perfect:mileage, torque, 100% flat back seats which are removable; work horse, etc. So far my 2015 golf se tdi sportwagen is not as great but possibly due to the modification.

I love this car

by drphoto from louisville KY on November 13, 2015

I always wanted a GTI, but I have a lot of gear to haul for my job (photographer). So I got this. I am not disappointed to say the least. I have a 2012 S with factory upgrade 17" wheels. When researching this car, a lot of enthusiast magazines bash the 2.5L/Tiptronic drivetrain. Yes in normal drive mode, it's pretty tame but put in Sport or even better manumatic shift it yourself...and it get's fun. In manual you can hammer on it or hype-mile if you want. Plus it's their most reliable combination according to what I've read Handling is way better than I expected. Quick turn in and minimal body roll. I suspect the upgrade low profile tires help there. It's actually fun to flog around on back country roads. Fit and finish are first rate. This car does not offer all the frills that some others do in this price range (Kia/Hyandai) but they put the money in quality of materials. It may have the most comfortable/supportive (heated) seats I've ever experienced which includes a 2007 BMW 325 CSI is used to drive. Volkswagen may mean "people's car" but I really think they are "car people's car". For an affordable price, they bake in the stuff that makes a car great. Only manufacturer to offer a wagon that doesn't cost a second mortgage or look like some goofy pretend SUV. I think this car is incredibly capable for what it is. It's a wagon. It can haul a lot of stuff. But at the same time it's quick, it's agile, it feels great. Plus it was very affordable. and I think it's a really good looking vehicle. It makes me happy. If wrecked or stolen, I would be on the net searching for another one in a second. BTW: I had to put in a star rating for reliability. I've had this car for a week. So far so good. ;-)

Great car

by irishmariner from Stamford, CT on September 23, 2012

I've owned trucks for the past 8 years and since the rising price of diesel and fuel mileage, i finally chose to down size. The jetta sportwagon TDI was a great choice. Love the car. Fast. Sporty. Looks good, handles even better. Steering is appropriate to the turn. I don't feel the need to oversteer at all. Only complaint (again, after driving trucks) is that there isn't a whole lot of storage space in the cabin for personal effects. Also, since i traded in my truck (chevy 2500 long bed, crew cab) i was hoping to get more for the trade in, but i'm sure that is dealer specific. Seeing as it's a diesel, I havent had the chance to try it out with winter starts yet, but a good friend of mine has the same car, 2011 though, but he never had an issue with starting his car...and that was in Vermont...at 10 degrees...something tells me i'll be fine

1 2 3 4