Model Details

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews

3.8
Average based on 17 reviews

This Car Saved My Life!!!!

by from Michigan on August 11, 2009

I absolutely would recommend this car to anyone!!! Five days ago I was in a very serious car accident. My entire front end was ripped out and I did three doughnuts across 3 lanes of traffic at 8:45 a.m. and I walked out of my car. I have one bruise and some whip lash, but the car saved my life! 5 Stars!

VW New Beetle one of the best cars on the road!

by from Memphis, TN on March 31, 2010

Had my used 1999 Beetle only a couple of months. The gas mileage is great, handling the best I've seen in years, utility good with hatchback. Best for 2 passengers and maybe a pet or child in the back. BUT, had a car crash recently and the Beetle held up like a TANK!!!! Newer models have bigger engines and a bit less gas mileage, but a used one for a college student or runaround, this car is safe and satisfying.

great

by from new york, ny on February 23, 2010

this car was great, I had it as my first car, and it was a good ride for a high schooler! the car that I have has a great cd player where you can put 6 cd's in. overall this is a great car!

Great Car, even better on GAS

by from Denver CO on February 19, 2010

One review stated that the car gets 300 miles on a tank of gas, well thisis a TDI I believe and I have a newer model (2002) Turbo Diesel (TDI) and get almost 600 miles to a tank. Mine has 175,000 miles on it and looks fantastic, runs great but I do take care of it and it has cost $ at the shop. Note that I put 750 miles on it a week. The only think I do not like is the cupholders, they were not well thought out. Handles great in snow and I drive it instead of my Jeep if not lots of white stuff.

Cute: Good for youngsters

by from Eastern PA on October 15, 2010

I have a 99 with the 2.0 liter automatic couple. It has adequete power to get around, but certainly is not fast. The transmission is a bit odd, it holds onto gears longer to make up for a lack of torque, and shifts are sometimes awkward. The Beetle's interior is cheap, but stylishly cheap. Nice use of varied surfaces and the front seat passengers have an amazing amount of room. Rear seat headroom is constrained by the curved roofline. Luggage space is adequte. The ride is horrendous. Seriously, the Beetle's suspension is Germanic firm (I also have 2 BMWs), but tends to be more on the beat you up side-especially when dealing with larger bumps. Overall, the Beetle is reliable, seems to be built with decent build quality. I believe it would be perfect for younger people who you don't want driving a powerful vehicle and who can live with the rough ride. For older folks, you may want to look elsewhere-unless you are using it for short commutes, where the Beetle shines. Plus it's so dang cute!!!!!

The Bug Is Fun

by from Boston MA on August 8, 2007

After having driven only trucks or wagons we opted for something fun. This car is fun to drive, surprisingly utilitarian (with the rear seat down we can fit a months worth of groceries and a German Shepherd). It handles like a sports car and gets excellent mileage (38 highway at 70 mph). Very comfortable seats on the long drive. It's power locks can be quirky - they some times lock without being asked to. Don't rely on dealer for repairs, dealerships don't know what they are doing. Other than expected repairs nothing extraordinary has come up from 99 to 07. It's had a few recalls for electrical things but nothing dramatic. Overall good vehichle.

Love the Car!

by from Connecticut on August 19, 2007

I bought this car since I had to drive an hour each way to work and can't say enough about it. It drives great and handles well, plus it's fun to drive with great gas mileage. I haven't had ONE problem with it, in the eight years I've owned the vehicle. It is a little more on the expensive side to have a dealer maintain vehicle, but it is WELL worth it. With the back seat down, I fit a glide rocker and ottoman in it. The sales people at the store couldn't believe it! The paint job on this vehicle is the best I've ever had. This is a wonderful car to own!

I Love My Bug

by from Sherman Oaks, CA on May 18, 2006

Fancy, Stylish, Easy to handle and Comfy. Everyone will say something or look at you behind the wheel. Also, you can save some money at the pump with this high gas prices.

most reliable car i own.

by from fl on May 10, 2008

a great car buy one you wont be disopointed. it has lasted longer than the bmw honda and toyota i bought after it.

Very Reliable 'Herbie'

by from Scottsburg IN on November 19, 2010

I bought my white beetle 2 years ago as a rebuilt wreck. I have found this car the BEST car i have ever had he is very reliable,quick and comfortable. I have never had one major problem with the car except a few minor electrical problems such as the driver door lock and the third brake light on the truck lid. this is very little things. i have also notice that this car can take a hit, insurance agency told me this is one of the safest cars on the road. i was hit on the interstate while stopped in traffic, driver told me he was going 55 and wasn't paying attention to what was in front of him. when he struck Herbie it destroyed his Cadillac sedan and barley done anything to my vehicle it left a small dent in my bumper and a black scuff mark, i was very surprised. i am very pleased with my car and i recommend a Volkswagen beetle to anyone thanks Brent