2003 Volkswagen Passat

My Last Volkswagen

by from New York on September 2, 2007

I loved this car when I bought it, and I was even happier the day I got rid of it. I don't know if I disliked the car more, or the lousy dealer service that I received from both dealerships that I went to. The car gives the appearance of a high quality vehicle like a Mercedes or a BMW, but it is only skin deep. If you insist on buying one, stay away from the 4cyl turbo, unless the owner can produce very oil change receipt that the oil was changed at 5000 miles. The engines are prone to sludge and VW will not honor the warranty if you don't have the receipts. Also stay away from ones with sunroofs as the drains clog, and the interior floods and the computer under the rug will be ruined. Good luck if you buy one but dont say I didn't warn you.

Excellent car

by from Phoenix AZ on June 5, 2009

I bought mine a basic GL used, I have never had any problems with it, I'm 21 and i do all my oil changes on it. I have no ideea why all these people complain about, if you take good care of it you shoudn't have any problems. I had a chevy before and i put way more money and time into that one then into the Passat.

The Best Car I Ever Had

by from Denver, Co on June 2, 2009

bought in 2004 a used 2003 passat with 30k miles now i have 147k miles runs like a champ never had a problem but i do every 3000 miles oil change

Would buy another Passat in a heartbeat

by from San Diego, CA on December 9, 2008

We have loved this car. It has always done well for us and we have never had any issues with it at all. I would definitely get another one. We had to sell our first VW because we were leaving the country for 3 years and it broke my heart to part with it. We will always have VWs. If you take care of them properly, you will never have issues.

Fun to drive

by from North Carolina on July 27, 2013

If you like to have fun driving,drive one of these.They handle the roads with agility.They are sleek and fuel efficient.If you can find a foreign car repair specialist in your area,your all set.The 2.8 V6 with 4motion is a great combination,very safe and handles snow extremely well.

LEMON PASSAT

by from alabama on June 4, 2008

Just over 50000 and everything is falling apart. Engine repair $6000! I have always wanted a VW and will never drive another. Very disappointed.

Good Performance but expected more reliability

by from New York, NY on March 20, 2007

Although I was happy with the handling and performance of the car, as soon as the warranty expired (literally at 48,000 miles), the breaks had to be replaced.

Wish I'd gotten one of the good ones

by from Los Angeles, CA on February 13, 2008

I'm glad some of these reviewers like their Passat's and have not had problems. My 2003 wagon has the 1.8 turbo engine and has had problems almost from the get go. I've had vacuum hose problems, had the water pump impeller fail, had the brake light recall problems (twice,) had a problem with the cam shaft, rear rotors (and brakes of course) replaced twice, fuel injector problems, and more! While many of these were fixed under the warranty I didn't plan on spending so much time dealing with repair issues for a new car. I had a ten year old Saturn that presented fewer problems. Now that the warranty is mostly done (I have a few months of power train warranty left) it's starting to cost money I'd rather not be spending on a five year old car. And Volkswagen just seems to think it's not a problem, I guess they don't expect that much quality in their vehicles. We'll find out tomorrow what's up with the most recent flashing check engine light and burning smell. But hey, it's been a month since the last repair, I suppose I should be glad. I do like the way the car drives when it's working and like that it fits me comfortably.

Passat - Quality, Value, performance

by from Atlanta, GA on December 8, 2006

I have 50K miles on a 2003 Passat and could not be happier with this vehicle. No significant maintenance problems and excellent performance. Excellent handling and acceleration and interior design. Only drawback is lack of storage inside cabin. Otherwise have no complaints. Very comparable to more wel-regarded German sedans (BMW, Audi)

A total money drain! Save yourself!

by from Sacramento on August 23, 2007

If you want a car that spends more time in the shop undergoing expensive repairs then this is the car for you. We bought this car brand new and it has been nothing but trouble since we got it. the electical system is always completley doing wierd things that even the dealership can't figure out how to fix. I think volkswagon intentionally designed this car so no one would be able to fix it without it costing an arm and a leg. Please save yourself the pain and buy something else.