2006 Volkswagen Passat

What a car!

by from Ottawa, Ontario, CA on November 1, 2012

Being a former Jetta owner, I really liked the style of the 2006 passat, recently took car on a 5,000 km trip to south florida and back,,,, what a hot rod....this car handles and drives like a dream, it is a great freeway car. no problems, never had to even add oil. I would recommend a test drive to anyone!

Passat 2.0T Value Edition

by from clifton, new jersey on June 21, 2006

I first saw this car on the internet and i fell in love with it. It's ride is phenominal and i chose this car over Lexus, Bmw, Mercedes and Audi. I couldn't be happier and for $299 per month with no money out of pocket, i got a great deal. This car is quick and i found myself doing 100+ miles per hour when i first got it. Now that i have become accustomed to the car i drive much slower. I would suggest this car to anyone and i will be getting another when my lease is up.

My favorite car ever!

by from Prairieville, LA 70769 on October 25, 2013

This Passatt is reliable, comfortable & good on gas. I love it!!! I am planning on buying another one.

Almost no issues; Postive experience

by from MA on December 10, 2006

I bought this in September 2005 (new) and currently have 23k miles on it. I love almost everything about this car, and 99% of the time I actually find myself smiling because it's so much fun to drive. I've had some issues with the engine light coming on (MIL) randomly. They misdiagnosed it a couple times, and eventually what I had been telling them from the start (the seal in the fuel tank/line is leaking) turned out to be true and it was resolved. This was the only real annoyance, which was partially my fault for not wanting to go in. Other than that, some chrome began peeling off the shifter after about a month and there was some minor adjustment to be made on the sunroof. They were quick to fix and not a big deal...initial bugs. I wanted to respond to another reviewer who was complaining about the audio volume and the tire pressure light. The volume is speed-responsive, which can be annoying but is increasingly standard on new cars. I've also noticed mine turn down the volume when I have the bass and volume turned very high, apparently to save the speakers (and my hearing). I noticed the tire pressure light come on during the first big winter freeze, with some alarm. It did it this winter, too (and only these 2 times) but this is a result of the much colder air (think balloon in the freezer). I'm actually happy the car let me know I should add a little more air, rather than having no sensitivity to this and leaving me to drive through the snow and ice with less-than-optimum tires... I'm undecided what to do when my lease ends, because I'm worried about expensive electrical stuff once the warranty ends. I may buy it anyways, or lease another Passat or A6.

Happy with my purchase

by from Atlanta, GA on May 12, 2016

I purchased a 2006 Passat with 50,000 miles on it a few years ago. I am over 110,000 miles now and all I've ever had to do was change the oil and go. It's obviously not a luxury car, but the reliability makes up for it.

Becoming a money pit!

by from on January 18, 2017

After 6 years of reliability, many issues have been arising. At 85,000 miles the engine developed timing chain tensioner issues that ended up costing $1700. Now that that issue has been taken care of electrical issues have been popping up. Had to replace the fuse box that melted for another $900. By the way, my son had the same melting on his 2010 jetta. I am becoming very leary of the car and now realize that I will be steering clear of the VW brand.

VR6-4motion Passat 06

by from SWMO on September 1, 2012

Passing my 2.0T on to my oldest college-bound kiddo. It's an 06 with 100k. Still love that car and it's been good to me. Wanted an AWD for Midwest winters. I found a one-owner with 57k (06 too). Love it. 286HP vs 200HP with a couple steps up in trim level. Mine didn't have Xenon/HID or the DyneAudio system. So, I've added some "whiter" halogens and am upgrading the speakers and adding an amp. I'll likely keep the factory HU though--I like the indigo/crimson look. In short: fun, classy, dependable ride.

BEst Car I've Owned

by from Sacramento on April 14, 2007

Lots of great little features that you wouldn't think of. Great handling and we are very happy with the car. Purchased premium sound and nav system and WOW what a great investment that was. SacBee newspaper ran an article that Passat and Audi A6 were almost the same car ((??))

Best car I've owned!

by from Orem utah on January 29, 2014

Sold my 2000 jetta with 230k and bought my passat. Absolutely love this car! No troubles and still going strong with 130k on it. Best car I've owned so far!

The first VW I've owned, and I am sold on VW

by from Georgia on July 3, 2007

Love this car......German quality, best car I've owned. You feel like your driving a vehicle that should cost so much more. Its like an Audi. I love the looks. No wonder people love VW

Our Expert Review: 2006 Volkswagen Passat