2009 Routan

2009 Volkswagen Routan

2009 Volkswagen Routan

4.2

Have you driven the 2009 Volkswagen Routan?

Love the Routan

by 16Colorado from Atlanta, GA on Sat Apr 04 2009

I don't understand why the Routan is getting so many lukewarm reviews from "expert" car reviewers. I own a Routan and have had nothing but positive experiences with it so far. My husband and I both love to drive it and our kids love riding in it. I traded in my SUV for the Routan, and was so excited to find this minivan that seemed so much more hip and stylish than all of the other minivans. Even though I am usually a Honda buyer all the way, I did not really like the Odyssey or many of the other competitors. I think the Dodge Caravan and the Chrysler T&C are nice minivans with better designed interiors than the others. However, I wanted a bit more of a luxury/european feel to the van. When I found the Routan, I felt that I finally found a "cool" minivan that met all of my needs and was priced competitively. It uses the same great design features of the Caravan and T&C but improves the styling, comfort and overall driving experience. It seems like anyone who test drives or buys the Routan loves it, but the experts are highly critical of it for no good reason other than its ties to Chrysler. I hope the experts take a second look at the Routan and give it the respect it deserves.

Fahrvergnugen is back......kind of....

by Fast Buck from Central PA on Sun Jan 29 2012

Boiught a used 2009 Routan SE with 19000 miles on it in April 2010. Now have over 47000 miles and no problems...none. A few minor recalls in the first year, but what the heck? It's been a great vehicle, especially on long road trips. Reliable performance, good mileage, comfortable interior, superior exterior looks and handles better than your average Mommy-mobile. What's not to like. A much better used mini van value than overpriced, over-hyped Odysseys and Siennas. Yeah, yeah ...I know Routan's are not "real" Volkswagons....they're made in a Chrysler plant. So what!

Great family sporty van

by Greg Davis from Katy, TX. on Thu Oct 20 2011

After 3 year I can say we have an excellant van in our VW Routan. The 4.0 V6 is quick and reliable. Trouble free and family fun too.

Routan for Cool people

by Cool People from Highland Vlg.,TX. on Sat Sep 19 2009

We have had a very positive experience with our 09 Routan. Quick and family frendly with good fuel economy ans smooth ride! I never though I would be a van owner but I have enjoyed this family cruiser & mom is so happy she smiles everytime she gets in it. VW was great to work with so far too.

A new minivan to consider

by Brian from Lombard, IL on Mon Jul 20 2009

I wanted a minivan because of the versatility. My wife was not excited about getting a minivan - until she saw the Routan. In this case advertising really paid off. I didn't even know VW had a minivan, but she remembered seeing a commercial. We checked it out, took home for a 24 hr test drive, and loved it. The styling, features, performance, and pricing are a perfect combo. The Routan is more eye-catching, inside and out, than the competition. It rides and handles well. We got the SEL with RSE package. This includes leather seats and the bigger 4.0 liter engine. The transmission is smooth and you can appreciate the 251 hp. The interior is laid out well, and includes lots of storage space. The storage bins built into the floor in the second row are deep and wide. There are cupholders throughout the vehicle. Power sliding doors and liftgate make it easy to get kids and gear in/out. The technology is dazzling - center console touch screen display with satellite radio, 30GB hard drive for music and pictures, blue tooth so you can talk hands-free over the speaker system, rear backup camera, and two DVD players that can be playing different movies on the 2nd and 3rd row LCD screens w/wireless headphones, while mom and dad listen to satellite radio in the front! Also has hookups for video game systems. The sound system is full and rich. One potential downside is the reliability. This is the first year for the model, and it includes VW and Chrysler content - neither are flagships of reliability. But the huge cash rebates (ask your dealer!) and other positives outweighed this for us. Also the grouping and pricing structure for the optional packages is a little puzzling. I think remote start should come standard on the SEL. Instead, I'd have to add a $2100 option package with stuff I don't need in order to get it. Whereas with the SE, I could add the "climate package" which includes remote start and heated front seats for $450 - very reasonable. The SEL has heated seats standard, but no remote start and no cheap option to get it.

MUCH BETTER THAN REPORTED

by BOBBC from Memphis on Mon May 04 2009

I just bought my first Routan. Had several quotes from Honda dealers on Odyssey, but none felt right. Some didn't want to part with the marketing support money even in this economy and one was happy to give up the MSM but added a whopping DOC fee of $699.99. The Highest I have ever seen. Routan was a pleasant surprise. Handles far better than the Honda and many great features. Deal was terrific $ 2000 off Tissue, very modest DOC fee, and dealer shipped car free to where I planned to use it. Dealer knows how to sell cars in tough times. I also financed the vehicle at 0% so I saved the cash I was planning on spending. Time will tell on reliability, but I am impressed with the way it is put together.

Very nice minivan, could be better.

by Biker inside from Northern Virginia on Mon Apr 09 2012

Got a SEL Premium with Everything. Got it for a super price. Lots of features. HID, Navi, TV's, loaded. Love the soft LED interior lighting, should have have it as tailights also. Quiet, comfortable, engine and tranny not a toyota or honda but good. Good MPG's can't complain. Spend the extra money and get a SEL Premium also. Won't regret it.

love my Routan!

by minivan mom from Houston, TX on Sun Feb 24 2013

After needing a good, reliable vehicle to drive my three kids around (two are school-aged, one is an infant) because of my first van was totaled in an accident, we found this particular van on cars.com. We had driven a few just like it at another dealer, so we knew we would like having the Routan. This one was in the price range we liked, plus we knew we wanted the third row and a DVD player. I love this minivan! The only thing missing is a GPS, but that's what smartphones are for, right? I highly reccommend this minivan to anyone looking for something reliable a big enough for a family and cargo.

wife loves it

by j from on Tue Apr 26 2011

It has been great. The kids love the two dvd players. My wife who would never drive a mini loves it. It makes road trips easy and we do atleast one a month. Great car for the money.

perfect family vehicle

by minivan mom from Colorado City, TX on Sun Nov 03 2013

I absolutely love my Volkswagen Routan!! It has 7 comfortable seats...great leg and head room. I love the built in sunscreens for each of the back windows and the built in mirror to see all the rear passengers (great to keep an eye on baby). The trunk space is big enough for our 220lbs Great Dane to lay down comfortably without having to remove or adjust any of the seats. It handles very well and gets better gas mileage than our former vehicle (Kia Sedona). The only negative I have about the whole minivan is there are too many cup holders....lol. This minivan is the ideal busy mom-mobile!

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2009 Volkswagen Routan

If the goofy "Routan" name didn't tip you off, this new minivan comes from Volkswagen — or does it? It's based tightly on the Chrysler Town & Country (and its Dodge Grand Caravan sibling) and is built on the same production line at Chrysler's Windsor, Ontario, assembly plant. The product of this union is a van that falls somewhere between its parents in style and demeanor. As a result, I suspect VW devotees will disown this mongrel half-brother.

Perhaps you've seen the TV commercials starring Brooke Shields, who claims that people are having children just so they can buy a Routan (pronounced roo-tahn, not roo-tan). It's not VW's best ad campaign, but it's cute and memorable. The problem comes... Read More