2012 Tiguan

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan

2012 Volkswagen Tiguan

4.5

Have You Driven the 2012 Volkswagen Tiguan?

Best car for under $25K

by BLC from Washington, DC on Mon Dec 05 2011

I've had the VW Tiguan for three months now and have driven extensively in DC and surrounding freeways. The car has plenty of power, and my 6'+ passengers have an incredible amount of leg room. The back seats are adjustable so there is a LOT of room for luggage, - even bikes (if necessary). It handles like a dream at any speed (I've only had it up to 75mph) and it is super easy to parallel park in the city. I bought the car for my daughter, as it has been a top safety pick for the last three years. With 3-yrs scheduled maintenance included in the price - it cannot be beat! We get approximately 24mpg in the city and 28-30 on the highway.

No confidence anymore

by not sure from Minneapolis, MN on Mon Jul 11 2016

This is my second VW. The car overall is a good ride. Performance is wonderful for a 2.0 turbo. Gas milage is fantastic. Cargo space is limited. Maintenance: Injectors replaced under warranty. Intake manifold replaced just out of warranty - broken motor or something. second intake replaced out of warranty - had a hole in it. Turbo replaced - seals failing. Injectors replaced out of warranty (stuck wide open - again). And now my heater core is leaking. I have 118K miles on the clock; have changed the oil at the service interval - with factory specified oils. Done all services. All my driving is highway driving.

Does not recommend this car!!

Feels like a more expensive car

by Tiguanhead from Brooklyn, NY on Mon Jan 23 2012

I had read that the styling and details of this car were likable. When I saw it in person, I was expecting high quality but was surprised to find that it exceeded my expectations. It's fun to drive, I feel safe in it, and I get good mileage. I love it.

Best small SUV for money and Value

by Chuck from Upstate New York on Wed Aug 08 2012

The 2012 VW Tiguan is the best value in its class. To have the solid German engineering for the same price as a Toyota Rav4 or Honda CRV.. the best bet is on the Tiguan. The engine provides all the power necesary to climb long hills and the automatic transmission allows for engine breaking on those long down hills, for saving the brakes. The comfort of the ride is beyond comparison with any other car in its class. I have owned other Japanese imports in the class, and they were quaility cars. But after driving and owning the VW Tiguin, there is no comparison of ride, comfort or value.

2012 SE FWD 2.0T - what we Like and Not Like

by Dan from Staten Island, NY on Thu May 18 2017

LIKE: Unimpeded acceleration, especially at highway speeds - there's a horsepower rush once the turbo kicks in; quick steering response; heated leather seats; heated side-view mirrors; reclining rear seats; the "tray" on top of the dashboard for holding stuff; some features that are standard here are only available as options in other brands NOT LIKE: Transmission in city driving (20 - 50 MPH) is terrible - it loves to upshift quickly for fuel efficiency but then hunts for gears when you slow down, resulting in very non-linear gear shifts (the turbo lag does not help); brakes are too grabby; passengers bounce left and right too much on the highway; poorly-designed trunk - try fitting something around four feet long (like, say, a set of golf clubs?) - you can't do it without folding down one of the rear seats - not very utilitarian for an SUV

Does not recommend this car!!

Nice SUV for the money

by First time vw buyer from Aurora, CO on Fri May 30 2014

Having driven every 2014 compact SUV (other than the CRV and the Hyundai's), we found the 2014 Tiguan to be the most sporty feeling, but with an unacceptable price in the mid-30's. We decided to buy used, finding that loaded SEL 4motions were in the mid to low 20's, and with low miles. As the mechanical bits have remained essentially unchanged over the years, the 2012's drive identically. We bought a lightly used SEL 4motion with 20k miles on it, and in the last two months it's proven to be a fun and reliable vehicle, if a bit noisy on the freeway due to the 19" tires (if you want a quiet, soft ride, go with a smaller wheel/tire combo). The seats are exceptionally comfortable, and the stereo solid. It's a nice road car.- a complaint I've been unable to address is the wonky navigation system, which does not appear to be designed for Denver street names. We will address this with a vw dealer as we find it cannot find many familiar street addresses. Overall, the tiguan has proven to be reliable, sporty, and fun to drive- we have found it to be an excellent used value.

Surpising find with the VW Tiguan

by Car Guy from St Simons Island, GA on Fri Oct 02 2015

I found a great deal on a Tiguan when I was out shopping for a small SUV. The car handles like a sports car but gives me the room I need to do light hauling. I love the styling and the interior feels very luxurious. The leather is well crafted and the controls feel solid. I have only two issues but they were not enough to dissuade me form the vehicle. #1 I wish the steering wheel would adjust down further. I am a top wheel hand driver and it only stays high angled making it feel awkward driving the way I do. #2. The infotainment system takes a little long to start up thus making the back up camera not come on right away when I start the car and put it in reverse. All in all, I really like the cars styling, drivability and comfort. I would highly recommend this car for someone in the small SUV market.

Best choice all around vehicle

by VW all the way from Denver, CO on Fri Sep 20 2013

This is a excellent car for the price. I've logged over 40k miles and having driven it twice from Denver to Chicago. Have had no issues other than a occasional low level rough idle from the engine. This car gets great gas mileage, looks good, has a ton of cargo space and is very responsive. Handles the mountain passes in Colorado with ease and has enough clearance for any forest service road you can find. I opted for the S model with the stick and front wheel drive. AWD would be better but it's only available with a automatic.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Great size and great car!

by MEG from Texas on Thu Mar 02 2017

Great car, good to use around town. Very fast, very fun. Low maintenance, I own a 2012, looks like new. Very comfortable and good purchase for the price. Highly recommend

Looking for a nice car?

by Tibi from Salt Lake City on Mon May 22 2017

This vehicle is amazing. If you love driving you will enjoy driving this car. Great for road trips with plenty space to take all the gears.

1 2 3 4 5

Our Take on the 2012 Volkswagen Tiguan

I was a little concerned about driving the 2012 Volkswagen Tiguan before even setting foot in it. You see, my colleagues in Chicago were scheduled to drive it first, before it broke down in their company garage. And the last time I had one a few years ago, it broke down in my garage, requiring a tow truck to get it out. All this happened despite average reliability ratings for the Tiguan's first three years on the market. Regardless of my initial fears and hesitations, the Tiguan behaved perfectly from a mechanical standpoint during a week of strenuous family testing.

While the 2012 VW Tiguan is functional for small families, a few ergonomic issues add up to create an uncomfortable experience for... Read More