2007 Touareg

2007 Volkswagen Touareg

2007 Volkswagen Touareg

4.3

Have you driven the 2007 Volkswagen Touareg?

Best SUV on the Market bar none

by Bobby from Boca Raton, Florida on Sat Feb 20 2016

My 07' Touareg V6 now has 133,000 miles on it and I have been extremely pleased with everything about the car since I purchased it new in July of 06'. The Touareg has a 4-wheel full-time drive system which sets it miles apart from any of the other 4-wheel drive systems currently offered by other car manufacturers because it is always pulling at 4 wheels, ALL of the time. In pouring rain, the deepest snow, sand, whatever nobody is going to pull away from you from a standstill because aside from its 275hp, the traction you get is amazing, no wheel spin, you just go. The interior is extremely comfortable and the layout of the instruments is not only efficient, but beautiful. Every button and knob lights up in red and there are a lot of buttons. I feel like I am in an airplane cockpit whenever I am behind the wheel at night. Driving position is excellent thanks to the 8-way power adjustable seats that also have a heat setting if you like, which is great for my back and I use it often. I don't know why the Touareg is not in many car magazines pitted against other SUV's. This car is rarely talked about. It is extremely underrated and not many people realize, or know how great it really is. This is one of the best cars I have ever purchased. It is extremely safe because of its high stature on the road and weight. The metal is thick and you can push on it and it doesn't bend like many other cars on the road today. It's handling is fantastic, you always feel connected to the road and you always feel safe. The only thing is the poor gas mileage but then again, you can't have everything. I am currently looking into purchasing a newer model but I am hesitant because this years model is so good. As with all German cars the repairs can be costly which is something to consider, but the repairs I have had to do have been fairly far apart and the car has been overall extremely reliable. It is a daily driver and literally starts everyday and gets us where we need to go, in style. I still get thumbs-up from other drivers and just a few weeks ago I came out of the store from shopping to find several people staring at my car. I thought I had parked poorly or something bad. They said oh no, we think this is a great looking car and they actually thought it was brand new. Well, I do keep it clean, so there you have it.

A luxury vehicle for all conditions

by Auto enthusiast from Texas on Tue Feb 06 2007

The bottom line is that you get so much vehicle for the money. Compared to the other European luxury SUVs the Touareg simply offers more and does more for so much less. Mine has been trouble free and I've used it for everything a true off road SUV could be used for. At the end of the day it coddles me back home with a tastefuly styled exquisitely appointed interior. It does not pretend to be a sports car or a giant "blingy" Escalade. It is just right for me.

Love the V10 tdi

by Car Guy from South Florida on Mon Feb 26 2007

Upgraded from a 2006 V8 Touareg. I tow a heavy race car trailer and the new V10 diesel does a fantastic job. My V8 got 9-10 mpg at 70 mph pulling my trailer and the V10 tdi gets 13-14 mpg under the same conditions.

The best of 10 cars I've owned

by TDI Rockstar from Jacksonville, fl on Sat Dec 11 2010

There's nothing I don't like about this vehicle. I've been told that it's not the most reliable vehicle in the world, but I haven't had any issues with mine, and even if I did, I've got a fantastic extended warranty through 105,000 mi. It's super comfortable, & the V-10 TDI will outrun many 'sports' cars.

The Best and worst

by 2playok from Milwaukee, WI on Sun Apr 06 2014

I owned a 07 with the mighty V10 TDI for about a month. Upon it being delivered to me I smelt an oil burning smell. To make a long story short, the right turbo was leaking and the dealer bought it back after they found out the cost to replace it. A pair of turbos cost $7K on this bad boy and any engine related repair is an automatic $2K due to the engine needing to be pulled for even the simplest of fixes. That is the start of the cost, add on whatever needs to be fixed on top of that:) Are the repairs spendy? I guess that depends on on what you are going to compare this to. If you compare an $80K car to a $25K then you might want to start by looking at something else. Brakes will go just due to the sheer size of this vehicle and with it being an import, plan on higher costs. A $100 oil change and other more than double costing items are something to deal with, at least on the V10. And if you think the repair or parts costs drop just because you only spend $25K on it, think again. If you are looking for the ultimate ride and power for the money you will not find anything better. The comfort and handling is comparable to an E class Benz and I would say that it was even better. Quiet, comfortable, and way above average handling for it's size. Performance, 0 -60 in a flash and 60-100 passing 3 cars w/o your heart skipping a beat - worth every penny. Easily comparable to AMG power. If you are seriously looking, get one with both turbos and the drive shaft replaced. If not add that into your purchase price. I may just settle for a V8 with the air ride, but glad I had the opportunity to drive a rare vehicle on the road for a month.

Great!

by Jonn from San Diego, CA on Wed May 02 2007

I decided to purchase a Touareg, I wanted something different and it turned out to be a great car it's comfortable, safe, has a great look and style and it's reliable I definitely recommend it, specially because german cars are known as luxurious and for their quality.

Rare options and good overall car

by 6ta1 from Dallas, TX on Fri Jun 23 2017

I really love the Touareg I bought: dark grey exterior, brown leather, air suspension, 4 zones A/C, rear differential lock and V8 4.2. Not many cars on the road that can do as much as this SUV can.

From R32 to Touareg. The switch to Practical.

by VW owner again and again from Sonoma County, CA on Thu Jan 11 2007

I wanted one of these when they came out in 2004 but the steep price and potpourri of reviews kept me away and I purchased an R32. With the advent of children and expanding business the R32 went a way and a Touareg took its place in the drive. This has to be the most opulent car I've ever had. The fit and finish of the interior and exterior are fantastic. I love all of the buttons and lights in the cockpit. They're well laid out, easy to use and intuitive. It does have the tendency to beep constantly. It beeps when it's cold, when you're almost out of gas, when you leave the blinker flipped and turn the car off; sounds like someone going into cardiac arrest. However a little more time playing with the settings and I'll have that sorted. Interior space is good. The exterior is also something to behold. I love the shape and size. It's easy to park and maneuver around town. Tipping the scales at 5600lbs its asking a lot of the 3.2L V6 but the unit delivers plenty of oomph. It accelerates as fast as you need a car that size to accelerate, even up hills. Gas mileage isn't too noteworthy. About 16 around town and 20 on long freeway drives. The Touareg drives and feels like a regular car maybe better. The sport mode holds the gears longer and if you're feeling real frisky you can use the tip-tronic and wring out 3rd and 4th on the twisty roads. I've thrown this car into corners fully expecting to under steer (or worse) and it holds its composure. So far I've logged 6500 miles on the car (over 4 months) and a couple of warning lights have come on but nothing that left me on the side of the road calling the matrimonial unit and for a ride. The dealer got it sorted out. I've owned several VW's and they do need attention but that's the price you pay for comfort, style and driving fun. A Honda or Toyota may be more "reliable" but you're definitely giving up the fun factor. I did manage to check out the FJ Cruiser, 4 Runner, Pilot, Ridgeline, MDX, G500, and X5 and still ended up with the Touareg. Some of the others may have had more room, been faster, less expensive, more "reliable", whatever. Where none of those cars held a candle was on the interior. That's where you spend most of your time and it should not be sacrificed and should not look like an after thought. All in all I do really like this car and I definitely enjoy driving it.

Touareg

by mosta from Sterling, VA on Tue Jan 03 2012

Volkswagen Touareg is a very nice car, stylish and reliable. The only disadvantage is the fuel consumption.

Very High Maintenance

by Ivan_Y from MN on Sat Dec 01 2012

One of the most comfortable car I had. Quiet, powerful, luxurious, stylish. Goes through snow easily (I live in MN). I can go on - there are many great things about this SUV, and you can read them from other reviews. However, there are things that (in my opinion) offset all good things I can say about it. This car has 80k miles. - I had to change the brake pads 4 times so far - pretty much every year; each time cost me $640. - I had to change rotors twice - $900 each time. - Transmission had to be rebuilt (warranty) - Twice I had issues with windows mechanism. - The trunk latch had to be replaced. Every oil change is $80 at the dealership - ridiculous price for an oil change. To replace a bulb in the headlight I had to pay $230 at the dealership because there is a special tool required to remove the fixture. As I mentioned above, the car is luxurious (and mine was loaded with heated leather, GPS, Xenon, sunroof) but why would it miss some features that you can find in less expensive cars, like MP3 and Bluetooth?? Well, with all that said, this is a good SUV and the only people I would recommend it to are the ones who would be ready to spend a lot of money maintaining it.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2

Our Take on the 2007 Volkswagen Touareg

It was three years ago this month that I drove the then-new Touareg, Volkswagen's late-to-the-party SUV. Going in, there were questions: Did Volkswagen need to be in this market? Was there anything it could add to the crowded market segment? And what does "Touareg" mean?

The answers came quickly, punctuated by time behind the wheel. Yes, Volkswagen did need to be in this market, because loyal VW customers who wanted an SUV were leaving the brand.

And yes, VW executives did their homework, beginning with a field trip in 1998 to the brutal Ocala National Forest. "We gathered up just about every SUV we could find, and brought in dozens of VW people, many of them from Germany," recalls Kenneth Moriarty, VW... Read More