Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2012 Touareg

2012 Volkswagen Touareg

2012 Volkswagen Touareg

4.0

4 out of 5 stars Value for the Money
4 out of 5 stars Reliability

Have You Driven the 2012 Volkswagen Touareg?

Best vehicle I Have ever owned

by TDIESEL from Milwaukee, WI on Sat Dec 24 2011

I have owned this vehicle for nearly a month and it has exceeded my expectations by leaps and bounds. I own the Executive edition in with a Diesel (TDI) Drivetrain. 1)MPG even without full engine break in is off the charts for a vehicle with 20 inch wheels and weighing in at over 5200 lbs. I expect once the engine is broken in to get over 30mpg on longer expressway trips. No diesel smell or diesel engine rattle like in older vw diesels. Towing -- nothing close in its class. 7700 lbs towing capacity for this small of a vehicle..unbelievable 2)Amenities inside are world class. First vehicle I have ever owned which has "too much head and foot room". I have to move the seat forward to get comfortable I am 6 foot 3 inches tall and about 240 lbs. The dyne audio stereo is better than the Nakamichi and Make levinson versions in the other premium car brands. The sensation is near 5.1 dolby surround i have in my home. Navigation is so simple and easy. It takes seconds to input a destination or just one button to quickly suspend it.The navigation is in 3d so you have an arial view of the road you are on and surrounding roads. A nice bonus is the turn by turn nav in the dash so you never have to take your eyes off of being in front of you. The seats are the best with lumbar which can be adjusted up and down (vertically) Full panoramic sunroof that essentially goes the length of the vehicle. Wide wheel base provides plenty of width so you are not on top of the passenger next to you. nice bonus is the 110v outlet iin the rear seat area with 12v outlets right next to it. No rattles of any kind so far. 3)ride -- smooth as silk. not spongy but also not too firm. The turning radius is the best on the market. THe vehicle tracks down the road very well and does not feel like the rough ride of may other suv's. I use nitrogen in the tires to minimize pressure changes. 4)Why buy a cayenne or Audi when you get the same vehicle without the badge/rings for thousands less.I am absolutely blown away by this vehicle after owning suburbans, explorer, infiiniti and Lexus. 5)The long term reliability is yet to be determined but I purchased a 7yr /100k warranty to not worry about this for some time. .

Its really good

by Hodag from Las Cruces NM on Mon Oct 08 2012

Purchased based on fit, finish and comfort. Good cargo space, travel with 2 adult bikes in back. Like exterior design basic good appearance. Had to work at getting vehicle with stuff I did not want sensors, gps, the extra electronics. In the end very satisfied

Nice when new

by TDI nut from Los Angeles on Fri Jun 28 2013

Drives great when new, when under warranty, but if it's like most VW products, expensive items will start failing as soon as it's out of warranty and on your dime. Labor rates for repair are high, as are hours, and price of parts. Takes very, very expensive TDI VW 507.00 specific motor oil, that is hard to find. Brake jobs when due are expensive also. Car is heavy, drives like a tank. Due to weight, this car is hard on tires, brakes, fuel and wear and tear in city driving, much, much much better in open road/highway/interstate travel. The Ad Blue NOX cleaner system is problematic on some of these 2011 on T3 TDI's and expensive to diagnose and change.

Impressed but skeptical too

by New TDI Owner from Perkasie, Pa on Sun Sep 02 2012

This is my first ever diesel SUV so I don't know exactly what to expect coming from a 2002 Yukon Denali. I loved my Denali but gas mileage and lack of style change caused me to change. I tow a 7,000 lb boat so towing capacity was also important. I haven't towed the boat yet as it's only 2 months new but 2 jet skis is a piece of cake. I had an engine light at 2500 miles which was an EGR valve and the back-up camera is poor. The clarity is lacking and a white line appears on the touch screen when backing into the sun. The interior is very nice and comfortable but I wish the back seats folded flat or folded up. The exterior is nice and the ride (Exec) is a bit firm but nothing to complain about as it feels more like a sports car. Gas mileage is about 28 mpg on the highway (70 mph) and about 22-25 around town or towing about 3,000 lbs. Very impressed with the power of the TDI with normal driving and maybe a little less with towing although acceptable. I do wish it had more horsepower while towing but I understand improvements can be made with after market parts. Although I have already had one problem in two months I remain optimistic on reliability.

Pretty good ride

by Oatimus from New Orleans on Mon Oct 01 2012

I've had an American SUV in the past, and while it had power and comfort, the driving experience was lacking. Not so with the Touareg. It gives a good level of road feel and confidence, with enough power to feel the push, while comfortable. The handling is very good. I come out of a G35 coupe, looking for something that would hold more than two adults without a chiropractor on call, and I am very satisfied with the performance and road feel of the Touareg. The creature comforts are nice, and easy to use. The automatic trans is smooth, although I have to learn to anticipate a little downshift lag on corners (first automatic in 15 years). The only gripe I have is that the seating position buttons, where you can preset three seating positions, is right where I put my hand to open the door, so sometimes the seat is moving while I try to get out.

My 3rd Touareg

by herothedog from Denver, Co on Sun Dec 11 2011

I was an early adopter and had a 2004 Touareg V8 when they first came to market in the U.S. Year over year I've watched VW improve the platform so in 2010 I gave one another try. I had a base TDI and used it for a lot of highway trips. Then I came across an offer I could not refuse and traded my 2010 for a 2012. I am floored by the great gas mileage, over the first 1000 miles I'm averaging 24.5 MPG mixed highway and city driving, which is better than what I was getting in my 2010. It is a comfortable ride with nice creature features.

great mileage

by TDI driver from Dallas on Wed Feb 01 2012

Get the TDI.lots of power and the 8 speed tranmission is smooth. Brand new car got 29 mpg on a 1400 mile road trip. The infocenter/Nav best in the business beats the BMW I-drive by a mile. Quiet and clean can't tell that it is not a gas motor.

Mr. Barnes

by jbarnes from Rancho Cucamonga on Sun Mar 25 2012

I bought this car for the fact that it is built on the same line as audi/porsche. Its roomier than audi and about the same as the porsche without the price tag and porsche doesnt offer the TDI so it was an easy choice. So far so good I can't tell you what the fuel economy is as I only have 154 miles on it, but I am 6'5" 195 and it has plenty of head/foot room. I can keep the seat at my adjustment and still fit in the back seat, now thats room. I love this car and I would highly recommend it so far. I will write another review after the first 3500 miles. Happy motoring.

reasonabilly priced. fantastic car for the price.

by bebe from canada on Thu Aug 09 2012

had it since 2011 put 85000 km on it already! save me tons of money on gas. a lot of power to it!! greatest suv i have ever owned. compare to my 2007 acura mdx, and 04 Benz ML500.

AWESOME HANDLING

by VeDubber from Montreal QC Canada on Mon Apr 09 2012

The is the best car we have owned!! It was expensive, but it was worth it. I have the TDI 3.0 V6. Take off is good considuring that it was a 2.5 tonne vehicle. The 4MOTION is increadible, with no fault. Can't find many faults anywhere , except front cooled seats would be nice. It is overly fast for our Highways, at 110MPH it feels like 75MPH in our 2008 GMC Acadia. Only gave it 4 stars for reliability because we have not had it long enough to prove it.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2012 Volkswagen Touareg

Editor's note: This review was written in March 2011 about the 2011 Volkswagen Touareg. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2012, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

While Volkswagen recently moved to make two of its best-sellers — the new Jetta and Passat — more affordable by spending less on interior refinements, it's going the opposite direction with its redesigned Touareg SUV.

The Touareg's powerful base engine, standard high-tech features and comfortable ride endeared it to me.

It's a near-luxury machine — and starting around $45,000, it had better be. Because if you're shopping this class, you're... Read More