2016 Touareg

2016 Volkswagen Touareg

2016 Volkswagen Touareg

4.5

Have You Driven the 2016 Volkswagen Touareg?

New VW lover!!!

by Jalir from Texas on Sat Oct 29 2016

I hope this comment will help whoever is still undecided about buying. I have always get Toyotas before, however after the problem with the diesel this car became affordable because the dealers were more prone to reduce the price after their inventories were getting bigger. I belive I got an excellent price and the good thing is that VW is not flooding the market with new models and styles like chevrolet does, reason for what the prices stay good and the cars keep the value. I needed a car capable of some offroad but with the versatility of a sport one. This car is built on the same platform as a porche but the price is definitely better. I had the car to replace a Toyota 4 Runner and boy, the change has been marvelous. The thing I like the most is the maneuvering, the car at high speed is incredible and because is AWD the stability is fantastic. The second thing I love is the classic design, I dislike curvy cars, like Hondas, will never had one. This car is so strong, that one day the car literally was on only 3 wheels because the terrain that when I opened the lateral doors and close them they just close with the precesion I have only seen on body on frame trucks. It is very strong built, just see the division frame bar between the anterior and posterior doors. It is massive. The only things I dislike is that the insulation from the road is not perfect. Because the performance tires and big rims the road sound is very perceptible. One thing that they should have done is a small freezer in the middle compartment between frotal chairs like only Toyota Land Cruiser, Mercedes and Rolls have. It is a lost space, still big enough for many items. The postsale service is awesome and I was contacted by the VW offices in Germany to be sure I was satisfied with the car. I am waiting for the diesels to be available again and will get one. I did a lot of research before buying this Touareg and belive me fellow readers that this was a very calculated decision that I am happy with.

Reliable, comfortable, spacious, quiet

by Mark from St Pete FL on Sun Feb 12 2017

Very pleased with my choice. I traded in a new (only 5K miles!) Range Rover evoque for a new Touareg 2016 Lux. The Range Rover had one after another mechanical problems and their NA customer service was not helpful. My Touareg as a comparison is a quality dream - you press the button and it goes. Full of useful driver assist features, powerful, turns on a dime - you name it. And now a year later everything works like it is still new - as one should expect from this class of a vehicle.

The best car ever built

by JazzFan from Provo, UT on Tue Feb 14 2017

I bought the Touareg Executive VR6 from a dealer in Denver and drove it back to my home in Utah, almost 500 miles away. It was raining very hard on the way back with standing water on the roads through the mountain passes on I-70. Despite the unfavorable conditions, this car provides the smoothest, most confident, and safest ride one can imagine. I love everything about this car! I do admit the fuel economy is not perfect, but it's a tradeoff for the superior performance it delivers. It makes you feel like the King of the road.

Fuel efficient vehicle

by Jacktone from Amarillo on Fri Jan 19 2018

I bought it at a discounted price. I good deal for my money. I wish it came with USB port for charging my phone. It didn’t have a remote start either. But the luxury features was a big improvement from what I was driving before.

Best car I've owned

by BigLair from Centennial, CO on Mon Oct 23 2017

I purchased a used 2016 VW Touareg TDI Lux with a lot of options and 16k miles. I'm a big guy, 6'2" and there's plenty of leg room and it is extremely comfortable on long drives. There is still plenty room behind me with the seat backed up all of the way. The features and technology in this car are amazing. I've always wanted a VW TDI and I'm amazed and VERY pleased with how well this engine runs. It is far superior to the gas model and has much more get up and go since it has the turbo as well. I really like the looks of this car.

Best car I ever owned

by KathyMagnolia from Texas on Mon Jul 17 2017

I had the TDI diesel and it was fabulous...fast responsive. I only wish it had a third row sear. The navigation was reliable and even showed the speed limits on the roads. The all wheel drive was stable and had a race car feel.

Generally good but could be much better

by LSY from Urbana, IL on Sun Aug 27 2017

Overall, the 2016 Touareg is a stylish and practical SUV. It offers abundant options with a price tag considerably lower than its competitors. However, it fails to deliver any surprise, which aligns well with its position in the market: a premium SUV, but of an ordinary brand. First of all -- sorry 2016 Touareg Wolfsburg Edition owners -- The 2016 Touareg Lux, mid-line among the three trims, may not appear as attractive as the 2017 Wolfsburg Edition, also the mid-line trim, but it has two very useful features that have been eliminated from the 2017: the driver's seat memory and the power folding mirrors. Indeed, the 2016 Lux does not have the fancy wheels or the Wolfsburg badge, but I prefer having those convenience features, because it is a Volkswagen anyway. The Touareg is rather spacious. It may not be designed for a cross-country road trip for a family of four, but for medium-to-short distance trips it is very comfortable. The second-row seats have somehow limited leg rooms, but the width is more than enough for a decent ride, while not posing any constraint on maneuvering tight streets or parking spaces. The trunk is large, and with the power-release of second-row seats and the super useful hands-free open tailgate, the Touareg is almost a perfect vehicle for grocery shopping and occasional transport of large objects. The fuel economy is not impressive, but this drawback is offset by the fact that the 3.6L VR6 FSI engine only requires regular gasoline. Acceleration from start is nowhere close to performance-like, or honestly, is quite sluggish. The 8AT obviously shifts too many times to get to an average 30 to 40 mph. Acceleration from highway speed is fair -- engine roars a lot to get up to speed, but it gets the job done. Confidence in passing is not a problem. Driver assistance features are extremely handy. The adaptive cruise control comes with a package at a very affordable price, much unlike on other premium SUVs -- for many of Touareg's European competitors, to get an ACC you are looking at a colossal price tag. Touareg's ACC is also very easy to use, with its status clearly shown on the instrument. The more common blind-spot assistance and lane departure warning are useful as well, but it is definitely a pity that the Touareg does not offer active lane keeping assist. The standard bi-Xenon headlamps are excellent, but I personally do not find the adaptive front-lighting system (AFS) useful, as the 15-degree turn of the headlamp is very hard to perceive when the vehicle is in motion. The halogen fog lamps with corning illumination are good, but not extremely attractive. The daytime running lights look much more appealing than those on the pre-facelift models, but the lack of LED front turn signals deprives the Touareg with some high-tech feel. The Touareg Lux offers a mediocre audio system. I used to have an SUV with Harman Kardon Logic 7 audio, and it totally dwarfs the Touareg. Touareg's standard audio brings no deepness or details, and sounds completely plain and boring. Another frustration with its infotainment system is that it does not support Apple CarPlay. Actually, the Touareg is the only model without CarPlay compatibility within Volkswagen's current product lineup, and Touareg is, essentially, VW's flagship in the North America. Last but not least, do not bother checking out why your headlamp washer does not work -- while Volkswagen retains the openings for the washer, it does not put any washer on the US-spec Touareg (at least on the 2016 MY). That is, frankly, very "Volkswagen".

Does not recommend this car!!

Annoying little inconviences

by ALMatthews from Phoenix on Thu Aug 03 2017

I purchased a 2016 VW Touareg and would like VW to take ownership of the issues it is currently having with windshield fluid leaking down the rear lift gate due to possibly the heat in Arizona. I do not accept that after a initial fix where it did not work that I am just to deal with this issue. I would not recommend this vehicle if you are the type of person that keeps your vehicle clean and will become annoyed at the sight of washer fluid running down your tailgate every time you walk behind your car. I have not used the rear windshield wiper once and this is apparently happening to all the new VW Touaregs as the service representative so nicely showed me three other brand new 2017 models that are having the same leaking issue.

Does not recommend this car!!

I'm lovin my new Touareg!

by Flyfishtrip from Indianapolis, IN on Tue Aug 15 2017

I'm impressed with the Touareg so far. I had a 3 series BMW previously, and love the suspension and tight handling of the Touareg, very BMW like. I wish it had a little more horsepower, but it's definitely not bad. The interior is very well laid out and especially comfortable. I love the understated styling, and especially the Reef Blue Metallic color. Overall, I'm very happy with the decision to buy the Touareg.

A happy sales man means great leadership!!

by JP from I am a RN supervisor for the VA. on Mon Oct 05 2015

We want to especially say thank you to our sales representative Mr. Marek Stuller. He was friendly, knowledgeable, and patient. Mr. Stuller took the time to explain all of the features in the vehicle. We bought the 2016 Toureag, we love it. My husband was very pleased with our sales representative Marek and stated he was young and energetic and always smiling. My only regret is that we were rushing him because we were worried about out our dog "Gus." We really liked Mr. Marek, we hope he will remain at VW for a very long time!!!!!!!!!!!

1 2