2011 Volkswagen Touareg Hybrid

Complete Surprise

by from Philadelphia, PA on June 25, 2011

This car is truly amazing. I saw it at the car show and qucikly put it to the back of my mind, but when I was looking to trade in my car, this vehicle made it into the mix. I am so happy that I purchased this car. I got the Hybrid version and could not be happier. It has incredible power with 380 horsepower, but I'm still getting almost 20 mpg in the city and I do not drive slow at all. The fact that the Porsche Cayenne Hybrid and the Panamera Hybrid share the same powertrain means that it definitely marvelous. The styling is unique, inside and out. I always get complements when I drive my car. I am actually excited everytime I have to go somewhere. I do not plan on giving this car up anytime soon. If you are in the market for a Cayenne, check this car out first because it definitely is worth the money, and the Cayenne is looking quite cheap these days.

Don't expect Prius mileage!

by from Nashville, TN on February 16, 2013

I'm still a little torn with this car. Great to drive and love the physical package, but I worry about the long-term wisdom of having bought the hybrid technology. Will it hold up? Will it prove reliable? But I got it used (certified preowned or CPO) with only 6,600 miles at a great price, so... time will tell. Also a bit nervous that the hybrid Touareg is not equipped with run-flat tires, nor does it have a spare. The hybrid battery resides where the spare would normally be. You get a can of "goo" tire repair. Keep AAA handy! Understand the positioning of this vehicle - it has the performance of a V8 with V6 fuel economy. Do not buy it and expect to get 35 mpg! The 8-speed transmission is very smooth. I really like the dashboard and associated electronics - nav/radio/climate/telephone, etc. A very sharp, well-designed integrated system that is shared with some Bentleys! (Another VW brand). I also really like the heated steering wheel - doesn't get too warm, like my previous BMW. The seats are very comfortable - really like the driving position. Fully adjustable, even movable lumbar. After a couple weeks of ownership, with mostly city driving, I'm getting about 20 mpg, with EPA being 20/24, so pretty accurate. And not bad for a vehicle that has 380 horsepower and weights over 5,000 lbs. I gave the car a minor ding for reliability, mostly out of fear more than anything else. Wait and see!