Find a Buyer
You can include several forms of contact information for potential buyers when you place your ad. Providing both a phone number and an email address will increase your chances of receiving inquiries quickly
If you receive a voicemail or email message, return the message promptly. The buyer was interested enough to contact you, but the caller may cool off - or find a better car - if you don't reply within 24 to 48 hours.
- During the initial exchange, get the prospective buyer's full name, email address and phone number; this will help you verify their identity after the call.
- Treat your initial contact as a marketing opportunity. Resell the car over the phone or via email. Emphasize its key selling points without exaggerating.
- Be honest and direct if the buyer asks tough questions about your car. This will ultimately save you time by narrowing down leads to the most interested buyers. In addition, honesty builds credibility - nobody expects a used car to be perfect, but they do want to know about problem areas.
- Encourage the potential buyer to see and test-drive the vehicle. Arrange a meeting point or test drive for the near future and make yourself available at the buyer's convenience, if possible.
- After the discussion, use directory listings or a follow-up email to confirm the buyer's identity. Be wary if the information provided doesn't check out.