German build quality and HyperCar speeds
June 21, 2018
Let me start off by saying I’m not easily impressed. And the TTRS wasn’t my first choice.
I’ve owned a number of cars in this segment including several Porsche Caymans, Mazda Miatas and Jaguar F-Types so I have a discerning eye for quality and fun in a sports car. My favorite style is the Jaguar F-Type. My favorite overall ride quality goes to the Cayman. The most fun was probably the Miata.
In getting a new TTRS, I was hoping to get a little bit of everything jammed into one vehicle! And I was also looking for an entry and seat height to satisfy my wife (she hated stooping down to get in and out of the Miata). I think the Audi does a decent job on all marks. The interior is my favorite aspect of this car. The seat comfort is unrivaled (despite the suspension isn’t always the most forgiving, but I didn’t expect a super plush ride in a sports car!). The seat diamond quilting looks phenomenal and the side and shoulder bolsters, along with the adjustable leg cushion are perfectly comfortable for any length ride.
The power, ahh the power, is incredible. It’s a very fast car and when the turbo spools up to boost it really pushes you back in your seat. It’s very true that you can shuttle from 0-60 in 3.4seconds in a $74k car using launch control. It’s also very easy to use.
The mii infotainment system and virtual cockpit are another compelling reason to look at this car. The fact that 100% of driver functions can be accessed via wheel mounted controls is amazing and convenient. The cockpit screen is beautiful and has a vivid display. The nav is easy to use and I’ve gotten quite quick at inputting destinations through the mii touchpad, which is some cool tech in itself.
The cargo space is ultimately what sold me on this car vs others. I haven’t seen any other sports car with this level of performance have the comfort, convenience features, tech AND tons of cargo space. The Cayman and F-Type have fair space and the Miata has none when compared to the gobs of room in the Audi. Especially when folding the seats down!
So, my favorite things about this car in review are:
1) Interior comfort
2) Power, speed, acceleration
3) Virtual Cockpit, nav, mii, technology
4) cargo room
5) strobing directionals, oled lights, puddle lights
6) interior and exterior styling is decent
Things I am not a huge fan of
1) although a good value for the money, it’s an expensive car at $74k. I could have bought an F-Type for less
2) I’m not a huge fan of the wheels that came with their signature black-optic package
3) would be nice to have two full size cup holders. There is one and then a second sort of clip inside the arm rest.
4) door bins are rather small
5) sound of the 5cyl sounds good at first but can be a bit droning at speed. I find myself switching to ’comfort mode’ often to silence engine noise because it can become a bit of a bore.
So as you can see the pluses are huge and the minuses are minimal and personal preference really. It’s a great car for the money, with a gorgeous ’ interior plus tons of power. What’s not to love in a sports car’!