AFTER LOOKING AT MANY COMPACT SAV’S ITS A X1
December 8, 2018
Looked at all the ’luxury compact sav’s’ and chose the X1, since we just purchased it this is a initial assessment of the vehicle and what expectations we have for it. I will follow up in about 6 months to complete this review, hopefully this will help others make good decisions regarding the investment in a late model vehicle.
Primarily we wanted a modestly upscale SAV for commuting 20 miles a day and using for most errands and long distance travel. Wanted reliability, comfort with performance and that little intangible of curb appeal. Cost was a determining factor, had to be competitive across the range of comparables. We also required that the vehicle have a factory certification that could be extended for at least 3 years and 50K miles, this makes the vehicle comparable to a newly purchased one.
We met all the goals we set and purchased a 2015 X1 28xi, it has 34,000 miles, it is basically fully loaded with a 3 year 75,000 mile full factory warranty and a maintenance warranty that covers all maintenance, state inspections including brakes, wipers oil changes and all service interval work, tires are all we buy.
The full cost was $25,000.00 out the door, essentially a new car in appearance and warranty for almost 1/2 the original price. So now we get to the important part, what my initial impressions are as follows. The paint is a striking deep metallic blue, really eye catching and elicits many positive comments. So as far as curb appeals it’s 100% on.
For the mechanical and comfort features all I can say is BMW really dialed this model in, it is classic in its road handling ability, holds the road like its on rails, handles bumps and potholes like the X5, and has amazingly quick and responsive acceleration and steering. It’s got the DNA of a sports car with a touch of luxury, you can buy a softer more poofy car but it won’t give you the confidence of this X1.
The awd system is truly outstanding, it is a rear wheel biased design which keeps the rear as the primary drive wheels and kicks in the front when things get slippery, just how it should be if you are old school and like having complete control of your car. The turbocharged 4 cylinder engine is a marvel of engineering, coupled to the 8 speed shiftable auto makes this bmw really nimble and quick, ask me how I know, my other car is a X5M and I’ll pick the X1 whenever the road is slippery.
In summary, my initial impressions of the X1 have exceeded my expectations so far. I have driven the Lexus, Audi, Range Rover, Mercedes, Infinity, Acura, Ford, GM and a bunch of the Asian models and find that the BMW X1 is the most focused and capable of all. There is always the one caveat I offer when talking about the different vehicle manufacturers. In the 48 years I have had a drivers license I have driven almost every type and make of car, over the years I have come to notice for the most part that each manufacturer has created what for lack of a better term ’a manufacture specific personality’ of all the vehicles they produce. What I am saying is each builder of cars imparts certain characteristics in the vehicles they make and as such you get to know what to expect as a characteristic of many vehicles, such as;
1. Mercedes are somewhat heavier and plusher, they still can be extremely quick and sporty.
2. Audi’s are less plush and leaner with a technical inclination.
3. BMW’s are more inclined to be a bit on the austere side with a emphasis on performance.
4. On the American side we have a different situation, our vehicles tend to be larger and more spacious and softly comfortable. It’s not to say we don’t have performance, American cars are a lot like this country, big and strong and built to take more punishment.
5. Then we have the Asian vehicles, lighter, nimble with nicely appointed interiors. The Asian cars do tend to blend together, some are quite unique and responsive to trends and as such very popular. The most important feature of Asian vehicles is that they tend to be more reliable in their engineering design and less expensive than the European vehicles.
So there you have it, stay tuned for my 6 Month update.