On Oprah’s final “Favorite Things” episode, which was so large it took two days to reveal everything, audience members were stunned to learn they were getting the redesigned 2012 Volkswagen New Beetle — even though no one has seen the new-look Beetle, not even us. There was some speculation the Beetle would be at the Los Angeles Auto Show last week, but it will go on sale in the spring, Oprah says.
In September 2004, Oprah gave an entire audience keys to the then-new Pontiac G6, and it stirred a little controversy at the time because she didn’t pick up the sales tax for all those new cars. According to CNN, Harpo Productions said in 2004 that sales tax would be the responsibility of audience members, who could choose to pay the taxes, sell the car and pay the taxes out of the proceeds or decline the G6. There was no mention (so far) about the sales tax on the Beetles.
Here’s the full list of prizes that Oprah’s audience received today:
- Apple iPad
- Classic Sparkles boots by Ugg
- Patent leather "Sophia Satchel" by Coach
- Magaschoni cashmere sweater with hand-beading and matching cashmere leggings
- Hope in a Jar moisturizer by Philosophy in three sizes
- Two $500 gift certificates to Nordstrom's lingerie department for you and a friend
- Herb-Savor by Prepara
- Centerville Chicken Pie presented by Harry and David
- Garrett Popcorn in a custom tin
- Custom Oprah cookware set by Le Creuset
- Miraclebody jeans By Miraclesuit
- Sophie jewelry box from Pottery Barn
- Jessica Leigh diamond earrings by Dana Rebecca Designs
- $100 DonorsChoose.org gift card from Bing
- Mini croissants from Williams-Sonoma
- Favorite Things assortment from Talbott Teas with tea set
- "The Book of Awakening" by Mark Nepo
- Johnny Mathis' CD "Let It Be Me"
- Josh Groban's CD "Illuminations"
- 2012 VW Beetle