Lexus’ midsize crossover is one of the best-selling luxury vehicles on the market. The popular 2014 RX is available in regular RX 350 and hybrid RX 450h trims. For this Car Seat Check, we tested the five-passenger RX 450h. Although the second row slides and reclines for passenger comfort, difficult-to-access Latch anchors mean installing child-safety seats isn’t easy.
How many car seats fit in the second row? Two
What We Like
- There are three tether anchors in the middle of the seatbacks; they’re easy to use.
- It was easy to install the forward-facing convertible, and it fit well on the rear seat.
- We didn’t need to remove the head restraint to install the booster seat; the outboard seat belt buckles are on stable bases, so kids should have no trouble grasping the buckle. Parents should note that the middle seat’s buckle is floppy and will likely be hard for kids to use.
What We Don’t
- There are two sets of Latch anchors in the outboard seats; they’re buried into the seat bight and the seat belt strap blocks access to the inboard anchor, making it difficult to connect. Although the seatback reclines, this didn’t help expose the anchors.
- We had to move the front passenger seat forward to accommodate the rear-facing infant seat; taller passengers will need more space to be comfortable.
- Although we didn’t need to move the front passenger seat forward to fit the rear-facing convertible, the installation was complicated by the hard-to-access inboard latch anchor.