It appeared with actor Matthew McConaughey in Lincoln’s heavily discussed and parodied TV ads, but the 2015 Lincoln MKC should have been the star of the commercial. Based on its sibling, the Ford Escape, this five-passenger compact luxury crossover is good looking both inside and out. Did it perform in our Car Seat Check as well as McConaughey did in “True Detective”?
How many car seats fit in the second row? Two
What We Like
- The two sets of lower Latch anchors and the three tether anchors on the seatbacks are easy to use. The Latch anchors are exposed, and the tether anchors have lots of clearance around them (once you get to them).
- The rear-facing convertible installed easily in the MKC’s backseat, but we had to move the front passenger seat forward an inch or so to fit it back there. Our tester had enough legroom to sit comfortably, however.
- Both the forward-facing convertible and the high-back booster seat fit easily into the MKC. Stable seat belt bases should be easy for younger children in booster seats to use.
What We Don’t
- Lincoln recommends threading the tether strap between the head restraint and seatback when connecting to the seatback’s tether anchor, but the head restraints are difficult to adjust. We threaded the strap and connector hook under the head restraint, but it was difficult to do because there wasn’t much clearance.
- To fit the rear-facing infant seat in the MKC, we had to move the front passenger seat forward a lot. Our tester was uncomfortable sitting in the passenger seat.