CARS.COM — For its 2016 redesign, the Chevrolet Cruze has improved on the first generation’s positive attributes with a quiet cabin, improved powertrain and tech upgrades. Our team of certified child safety technicians didn’t Car Seat Check the original Cruze, but one of our contributing writers/moms was less than enthusiastic about the 2014 model’s car-seat accommodation. Our techs, however, found the redesigned five-seat sedan’s Premier trim quite accommodating — with some exceptions.
How many car seats fit in the second row? Two
What We Like
- The two sets of lower Latch anchors are positioned in the rear outboard seats behind leather covers that can easily be pushed out of the way. The three top tether anchors on the rear shelf were easy to use.
- Despite some connection difficulty, our convertible car seat fit well in both the forward- and rear-facing positions.
- Our infant-safety seat also fit well and was easy to install with its thin, hooklike Latch connectors. However, we had to move the front passenger seat forward an inch or so; the front passenger still had sufficient legroom.
What We Don’t
- The seat belt buckle slightly crowds the inboard Latch anchor on the passenger side; it was a bit challenging to connect the convertible seat use using its larger, rigid connectors. The seat’s big base also got in the way given room was already tight between the Latch anchors and the buckles.
- The seat belts are on floppy bases, which will make it difficult for children to buckle up independently. Also, the buckle fell behind the booster during installation, further complicating things.