Fiat pumped up its tiny 500 to create the 500X, a subcompact SUV based on the Jeep Renegade. The 500X stands out on the road thanks to its distinctive styling, but can it stand up to family duty? We tested the 500X Trekking trim with cloth seats at our Car Seat Check.
How many car seats fit in the second row? Two
What We Like
- Two sets of lower Latch anchors are clearly marked in the 500X; they sit just a half-inch into the seat cushions. Three tether anchors are at the base of the rear seatbacks; they’re well-marked and easy to use.
- The forward-facing convertible fit well in the 500X and installed easily.
- The flat rear seats made it a snap to get our high-back booster seat quickly installed.
What We Don’t
- With both our rear-facing convertible and infant seats, we had to move the front passenger seat forward to accommodate the car seats. For the infant seat, we moved the front seat so far forward that the 5-foot-6 tester’s knees were pushed into the glove box.
- The backseat seat belt buckles are recessed into the bottom seat cushion, which makes them difficult for younger kids in booster seats to use independently.