Lucid Motors, one of the newest electric vehicle manufacturers to join the competition against Tesla’s EV dominance, has just become the first to surpass Tesla in a key metric: EPA-estimated range. The Lucid Air Dream Edition R, with all-wheel drive and 19-inch wheels, is rated at a whopping 520 miles of range on a single charge, far surpassing the Tesla Model S Long Range and new Plaid.
In fact, all currently rated Lucid Air variants surpass any available Tesla. Here’s the full breakdown:
- 2022 Lucid Air Dream Edition R with 19-inch wheels: 520 miles
- 2022 Lucid Air Grand Touring with 19-inch wheels: 516 miles
- 2022 Lucid Air Dream Edition R with 21-inch wheels: 481 miles
- 2022 Lucid Air Dream Edition P with 19-inch wheels: 471 miles
- 2022 Lucid Air Grand Touring with 21-inch wheels: 469 miles
- 2022 Lucid Air Dream Edition P with 21-inch wheels: 451 miles
R stands for “Range” while P stands for “Performance.” According to Lucid, the Dream P has 1,111 horsepower, the R has 933 hp and the Grand Touring makes do with 800 hp. For comparison, the Tesla Model S Long Range has an EPA-estimated 405 miles of range, while the more powerful 1,020-hp Model S Plaid is rated at 396 miles.
The bad news for interested Lucid buyers is that, as of now, all versions of the Air Dream Edition are currently reserved. Reservations are still open for the Grand Touring, however, and future lower-cost versions are planned: Both the Air Touring and Air Pure are anticipated to have 406 miles of range, according to Lucid.
While customer deliveries of the Lucid Air haven’t happened yet, the manufacturer says that should happen later in 2021.
More From Cars.com:
- Electric Vehicles: Understanding the Terminology
- Here Are the 11 Cheapest Electric Vehicles You Can Buy
- How to Find EV Charging Stations
- EV Owners Frustrated by Public Charging, Says J.D. Power Study