2012 A3

2012 Audi A3

2012 Audi A3

Have You Driven the 2012 Audi A3?

First tank finally

by RichF from Park City, UT on Fri Mar 08 2013

I'll trust you are reading more than just this review. I'm an Audi/Porsche/Volvo owner, mid 40's, racing karts and cars, doing most maintenance on my own (no timing belts). Researched the VW and Audi TDi's against BMW, Mazda, Lexus, and a few others. Audi style won over the VW Jetta, opting to go used for the same price as new so I could get the Xenon headlights. The VW was very close, and I would have gone 6 speed. About the gearbox, the DSG is nice enough. Essential a great automatic with the ability to paddle shift. A real clutch lets you time engagement, the Audi's just happens instantly, you have to plan and wait to grab the gear. The A3 is quick enough, no problem getting into traffic, mid 8 second range to 60 is fine. It's a little abrupt from a standstill, I've felt it act differently depending on the situation. Gentle seems to work, launch control doesn't seem to work for me. Radio, even though it's Bose, it's just okay for something labeled concert. The noise cancelling aspect is nice, quiet car at speed. At speed, this thing gets comfy at an indicated 90mph. I say indicated because with stock tires it's actually about 86mph. Hardwired V1 is easy and neccesary. SMOOTH ride. Flat seats if you don't get the sport seats. Phone interface, meh. It does work, but the best method with an iphone is to activate Siri on the phone and call. The voice dial built in to the car is not even close. Sound quality hads free to the iphone is decent for sure, as good or better than Motorola 2. Doors, they shut easily with interesting detents in the mechanism. I'm sure I'll get used to not slamming them soon. On the 2012's, don't bother changing bulbs to LED's, even with a resistor, it throws an error code in the dash display that stays on the whole drive. Smallish rear window, takes some getting used to if you haven't had a small car. Fuel, 32.5mpg as an average on the first tank. Keep in mind, that's around town and at excessive speed. My wife will drive and get that number to be upper 30's. For those looking to do your own maintenance, the oil requirement makes buying online the easiest way to go. But 10,000 mile intervals. 500+ miles a tank of fuel. Amazing handling, great looks, terrific fuel economy, fun to drive, feels rich inside, comfortable. Would buy it again.

Excellent Five Stars Car

by Issam from Miami on Thu Mar 19 2015

This car is the best car you can buy. Has everything you need in a car and it fits 5 people comfortably. I am a car enthusiast and have owned many different cars but this model or the 2012 A3 has been a dream in every angle. Its quick, saves gas, looks great, feels rich inside and drives like a dream. I usually buy a new car every year but I love this one so much that I actually have not changed this car for three years straight and want to keep it longer..

Not practical, but I love it.

by Jwags from West Chester, Ohio on Tue Jan 14 2020

I've had it a month so far. I knew when I bought it that it's not the most practical car for me. Too small, not enough trunk space, small cup holders, not much storage space, etc. At least one light not working at all times which seems to change each time I drive at night and the check engine light came on for a couple of days. However the car handles great, diesel is efficient, and it is a blast to drive. Not many on the road I've seen so it is a unique automobile.

Most fun and reliable car for the price.

by JayA on Sat Apr 27 2019

Great looks from outside but need sum work on the interior but at the end of the day it’s a nice fun and reliable car. Also, forgot to mention it’s great on gas

Fuel efficient & reliable 2012 Audi A3 Wagon

by Grampa Duck from Knoxville, TN on Mon Apr 20 2020

Above all use a good fuel additive to clean your injectors and a good oil additive. I am using Opti-lube. It is pricey, but protects the motor and what not. I have not used them enough for an informative report so will update you later. Lots of plastic in the interior and in engine compartment to break. So far I have a broken battery box latch and the rear seat release mechanism is toasted. I have to reach in and grab the bottom of the arm rest and pull it forward to get it to release and pull down. It is about TOO MANY hundreds of dollars to replace so I will just keep it that way. It is no hassle to open so why sweat the small stuff? The heated leather front seats are so comfortable!!! Knobs, buttons and rollers are easy to use and understand. The manual helps more than most of them do right of the glove box. It is written for an elementary kid so an adult should love it. Interior lights at night are a pleasing white to light blue and headlight, running and fog lights are just right to help you see the road. Pull switch out and all the way to the right to use the fog lights. Radio is easy to use, just old school. Have not tried to sync phone yet. Speakers are Bose and so very nice! Sounds like a bit of heaven. Auxiliary jack is hidden by a sliding door under the center arm rest. Two 12 volt cigarette lighter style plug ins live here as well for charging or power source for your accessories. I plugged a cassette player into the auxiliary jack and a DC to AC voltage converter to power the player and any other AC appliances. It lives in the glove box and the cords are tucked into the trim so are hidden from sight. The converter has the USB port I need for my phone that this car does NOT have. Cassette player lives just in front of the automatic stick shifter. I am taking out the front and rear springs, coil over struts and shocks and putting in a VW Rabbit comfort suspension for just under a $1000. That will get rid of the feel-every-minor-to-major bump in the road especially in curves where it can throw-you-around-pretty-badly and replace it with the grandma/grandpa boat ride you'd expect to find in a 2015 VW Golf or 2014 Jetta SportWagen. Being I am the grandpa, I am hoping it will be a cushier road driving experience. Price for car with new suspension (I will keep the stock one incase I want to do some racing) is $12,000 with just over 35250 miles on it. It got caught up in diesel gate so has much of the motor/emissions under a warranty until 2024 or 120,000 miles whichever is longer. For me it will be 120,000 miles. The tires are new stock tires with a full size spare I will replace at some point with a 17"upgraded rim and tire at a cost of $345. The ride is very quiet with stock suspension. Wind noise is quiet as well. It does not get blown around much at all. It gets up and goes when you need it to and does not bog down going up hills at all. I was amazed by this as it is the 140HP motor. It gets 32.9 MPG city and just under 40 MPG HWY. With Opti-lube and flat roads I expect to get the 42 MPG HWY the sticker says it will get. Actually, the one on this car said 29/37. It was supposedly castrated by the emissions corrections through diesel gate updates but I guess they did something right with this one? It has both stickers so both updates were done for sure. This car looks and drives like a new one save the two broken plastic pieces and no new car smell. Oh, it has a couple of hair-line scratches in the black paint that shows every speck of dirt, mud and pollen as well as the black leather inside. I will have to bathe it once a week and buy a rechargeable vacuum for the interior. I swore I would never own a black car for these reasons, but this car was just too great a deal to pass up. I am told it will cost me a small fortune in maintenance costs but only time will tell. I am a real stickler for doing required maintenance and using all the correct fluids. I can do some of the maintenance myself. Overall I am really happy with this car and its price. I was looking to buy new car or maybe a rental but this car jumped out and bit me. It is all about luxury, fuel efficiency and is comfortable for an all day drive. I hope it is the last car I will ever buy. It is newer and has the word Sports in it so costs $16 more a month to insure than my Ranger did. Time is on my side. Oh well...add smile here!!!

Great car at a fair price!

by Todd from San Francisco, CA on Mon Oct 09 2017

Car is in excellent condition, no issues whatsoever. Drives smooth, handles well and has plenty of zip with 2.0L DOHC turbocharged 4 cylinder engine producing 200 horsepower. Also has excellent safety ratings, with airbags throughout, ABS, and ESC (electronic stability control).

Great ride

by Traceface from Nevada Tx on Wed Oct 18 2017

Hello, we loved the vehicle it was just not priced right for the items needing repair! I love german engineering, staff was great we drove the car to our mechanic to check it out!

nice car

by lweo from on Sun Feb 24 2013

this car is super cool, and its a gas saver. i love it and i will buy it when i got money. my friends also like it too

Great entry luxury car

by Bmwgirl from on Wed Mar 22 2017

Great car for the family. Has great handle due to its compact style. Only downfall is it's interior, it's very basic and plain for an Audi.

What a nice car

by JohnDotCom from minneapolis, minnesota on Thu Mar 22 2018

Wow! I really loved this car, too bad it's expensive to keep up otherwise it would be in my garage. It really really is nice I love it so much it is my baby.

1 2

Our Take on the 2012 Audi A3

I cannot believe time flies by so quickly. My babies are now in second and fourth grades. Diapers are long gone; preschool is but a brief memory, and there’s not a wisp of baby fat anywhere on their lean bodies. And I can now drive a small car again.

Despite its small size, my whole family enjoyed the 2012 Audi A3 TDI; it was fun to ride in, even more fun to drive and handled most of our stuff.

The A3 is a small hatchback. The Colorado girl in me would require a ski rack, but all other day-to-day activities were handled with major zip.

The major zip is courtesy of a 2.0-liter clean diesel engine paired with a S-Tronic dual-clutch automatic transmission. I mention this piece of machinery because... Read More