Billed by Ferrari as a "genuine four-seater," the 612 Scaglietti is the company's first V-12-powered car to feature all-aluminum construction. Even the interior is built with aluminum components. At $300,000, competitors are few, but the short list includes the Bentley Continental GT Speed.
The 612 Scaglietti's styling is the work of the Pininfarina organization, which has designed a long list of Ferrari models over the years. Concave, scalloped flanks meant to recall the unique Pininfarina-styled 375 MM Ferrari.
- Teardrop profile, especially at the cockpit, which sits considerably farther back than usual
- A low, mouth-shaped grille with horizontal bars and Ferrari's famed prancing horse logo in the center
- Integrated headlight covers that blend neatly into the front fenders, which flank a long hood
Four people can sit inside the 612 Scaglietti, which is fitted with aluminum and leather. Ferrari says all four riders can get in and out easily.
- 8.5-cubic-foot trunk can hold a six-piece set of specially designed luggage
- Dual-zone climate control
- Bose audio system
- Selectable suspension and engine modes, with steering-wheel mounted switches
- Leather used for the seats is also used on door panels and knee rests
Under the Hood
With its 540-horsepower V-12, Ferrari says the coupe can accelerate from zero to 62 mph in 4.2 seconds. The engine sits behind the front axle, and the gearbox and differential are mounted at the rear. Front and rear overhangs are short.
- 5.8-liter V-12 engine makes 540 hp at 7,250 rpm and 434 pounds-feet of torque at 5,250 rpm
- Six-speed manual gearbox or Formula One-style electrohydraulic system available for semi-automatic operation using paddle shifters behind the steering wheel
- Fuel tank and battery mounted rearward to help achieve normative weight distribution: 46/54 front/rear — surprising for a front-engine automobile
Safety features include:
- Electronic stability system
- Traction control
- Vented-disc antilock brakes