2008 Civic Hybrid

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid

3.9

Have you driven the 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid?

Great Safe Vehicle

by Dirty D from La Crosse area, WI on November 2, 2010

This is my 2nd Honda Civic Hybrid! Although it seems small, it is actually pretty roomy inside. My first Civic Hybrid was a 2006 - I was hit head-on doing 55MPH and came out with only bruised ribs & bruised wrist. Airbags & seatbelt worked great. I didn't get burned by airbags either. It was totalled because they had to use the jaws-of-life to get me out. Both the police & fire department couldn't believe I walked away. I owe Honda my life! It is certainly a safe car! The car did what it was supposed to do - the outside metal wrinkled like a pop can but the "cage" frame didn't move & completely protected me. As far as comfort & interior design, I wish there were more options but I also had a loaded Yukon prior to this. I do wish it had better rims! Something more sporty! Once I got my confidence back after my accident, I wanted another one. Great gas mileage (35-40+)and great looking car. Overall, I would buy another one or tell my friends/family to get one for sure.

pleasant surprise

by Worried about future gas prices from Pennsylvania on April 25, 2008

I purchased the Civic Hybrid in anticipation of $4.00 per gallon gas. I was expecting good gas mileage but a not-so-good driving experience. Boy was I wrong. The car handles like a dream and has better acceleration than I expected. More important, I have only filled the car three times in 1500 miles - 44 mpg average!! I bought the nav system. It took a while to learn the system, but I now love it. My neighbor purchased a Prius about 6 months ago. He gets slightly better gas mileage, but he paid $2000 more than I did for his fully loaded Prius and he will not receive a tax credit. I wish the car had Bluetooth and rear cup holders, but these are relatively minor concerns. Overall, this is the best new car I have purchased in twenty years.

HCH Fan?

by HCH Fan from RI on October 25, 2010

Overall I think the HCH is a great car. If you drive it properly and perform proper maintenance, like any vehicle, it will provide as advertised, except for resale. My mileage is a overall 43.4 - 44.8. It's comfortable for what it is, a compact high fuel mileage vehicle. It's performance is good for what the vehicle delivers in mileage and it has been exceptionally reliable except for reflashes that do not correct the few nuenses. I was able to squeeze 28500k out of the 30k rated tires, by rotating, and replaced them with Michelin Primicy's, which are far and beyond superior. The downfall of this vehicle seems to be the perceived trade in value offered by dealers. How do they expect to sell them if they condemn them when people want to trade them in for a new one? Private parties tend to sell at a premium. My reccomendation is to drive it for a long time to receive the payoff.

Tires are worthless.

by cooter from Chicago, Illinois on September 3, 2010

The factory tires (Dunlop SP 31) that came with the car have no traction in the snow and will only last about 20 - 25,000 miles, then you'll have to buy new ones. Additionally, on the 2008 hybrid you can't see the hood of the car, as opposed to the 2003 hybrids, so it makes parking and knowing where the front of the car is on turns, that much harder. Everything else appears to be fine and the interior is definitely better than the 2003 hybrid.

great car at a great price

by looking for more car for less money from Ca. on April 14, 2008

I researched hybrids and narrowed it down between the Prius and the Civic. I chose Honda because it's a better looking car. I got one with navigation and love it. I get 40 mpg all around and it handles beautifully. I paid about the same with navigation as I would have on a Prius without navigation. I now have a '08 Lexus and an'08 Civic hybrid. If I were to do it over again I would buy 2 Civic hybrids.

Great car!

by Happy Hybrid owner from New Jersey on July 15, 2015

Bought in 2008 brand new, I have 109,000 miles on it, no problems with IMA, love the gas milieage, i get about 41 mpg. It is a comfortable ride, have only needed regular maintenance and tires on it. It's still going strong.

High tech in a compact package

by Hybrid lover from HI on December 7, 2007

Purchased the Civic hybrid 2 wks. ago. 1st fill up yielded 42.75 MPG with mixed driving so I expect this to hold up. Exterior looks like standard Civic. The Hybrid comes with almost everything standard, including alloy wheels and a good stereo system with MP3 plug. Dash a little funky with readout on 2 seperate panels. Also the dash is a little low and will cramp the knees of large front passengers. Also the long dash makes the front end of car impossible to see, takes getting used to. Hard to notice any difference in ride from normal gas engine except for little jerk on stop and start from red lights. Peppy enough in most driving situations, handles and brakes well. Good value with tax credit and considering the terrific gas mileage. If you're thinking about purchasing a small car, definitely consider a hybrid.

First it was Calipers, now IMA Battery

by Third and last Honda I'll own from Northern Virginia on November 13, 2014

This is my third brand New Honda Civic and my last. I was very pleased with the last two - so much that I bought the Hybrid. After replacing the tires three months after purchase because there were no treads left and the calipers would not adjust enough to fix the problem (that was my first $1000 out of my pocket). Then, two years later I started having the IMA battery light go on & off - right after they "Fixed" the recall on the IMA battery and I lost three miles to the gallon (that was my next $1000.). Now its the $2650. IMA Battery. Lesson learned.

Does not recommend this car!!

Loved this car!

by Nanny O from Massachusetts on May 12, 2013

Bought new hybrid, no problems with battery, after 5 years needed realignment and new tires, at 50,000 miles, car worked like a champion! Loved it, traded up, super car for the gas and environmentally conscious. Highly recommend, gas mileage was 42 to 45, depending on hwy vs city.

I'm in love with a car again!

by Newest Member of Honda Nation from Lake Worth, Florida on September 15, 2009

I dumped my 2007 Ford Freestyle for the 2008 Civic Hybrid after dealing with poor customer service and an inability to get parts in a timely manner. So glad I did! I love this car. The mileage, the look, the size and especially the value. This is my first Honda and I can't see that it will be my last!!

1 2 3 4 5