2018 Clarity Plug-In Hybrid

2018 Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid

2018 Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid

Have You Driven the 2018 Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid?

a surprisingly refined car

by gardenjeff from Maine on Fri Mar 09 2018

Even after 3 months' ownership, the first impression on entering the car (the upper level Touring) is one of refinement and quiet elegance, more so than any other Honda. Driving in electric mode only amplifies this impression, as the car is uncommonly quiet and glued to the road even in snowy conditions. Power in electric mode is more than ample and acceleration is strong. Tech looks good but in operation is last year's version and lags that in the new Accord. The range in electric mode on a full charge is dependent on ambient temperature, nearly 50 miles in temperate temps and closer to 30 in frigid ones. After the car exhausts its electric charge, the gas engine (which is used almost exclusively to generate electricity rather than drive the car) can be oddly harsh sounding, and the car becomes less responsive especially for the first several miles on gas. Overall, the car is a very nice one, and even the Touring model represents good value, given the $7500 federal tax credit which brings the price down to that of a mid-level, gas-driven, conventional car that has nowhere near the refinement. While submission of this review requires a rating for reliability, I have no basis for that yet. Note that plug in hybrids, if they are used primarily in electric mode, require much less maintenance than gas-driven cars.

Best Car in 47 Years of Driving

by dstrauss from Midland, TX on Fri Mar 23 2018

Headline says it all - a true 5 passenger mid-size sedan masquerading as green car. Interior room, fit & finish, design & materials (Touring model), ride comfort and handling, QUIETNESS, all say luxury Acura, not Honda. I easily average 53 miles EV range per charge (remember, this is West Texas with 50 degree winters - this may crater in the 100 degree heat of summer), easily 40+ mpg in hybrid mode on the highway at 80 mph (the legal limit out here BTW). It beats my Prius experience of the last 8 years hands down. It has design quirks inside and out, but nothing that diminishes the value quotient for teh Clarity, even BEFORE teh $7500 FIT credit.

1,200 miles, and still original gas...LOVE IT!

by Wrights in Seattle on Tue Mar 27 2018

After 5 weeks and 1200 miles, I am still just over half a tank full from original gas. It is fun to drive, looks sharp, zippy when desired and crazy energy efficient! The interior buttons, screen, and technology features are easy to grasp and have become second nature after a couple weeks.

Unbelievable Technology

by dkerch99 from Whitewater, WI on Wed Mar 21 2018

After my first month of ownership, I'm at 150 mpg! I purchased a 220v stage 2 charger which is well worth it when I need to charge it at work. I live in Wisconsin and the weather is still in the 20's at night, so I'm getting the battery to charge to between 37 and 40 miles, the Honda site says it can get up to 47. We'll see how much higher it gets in warmer temps. Driving in all electric mode is awesome. The car is silent and has great acceleration. The few times I've run out of battery power, I still get 45 mpg with the hybrid engine. Love the interior and safety features, too.

Great Hybrid

by TerioneR from Boca Raton, Fl on Mon Aug 27 2018

I have owned 2 Prius and when it was time for a new car I just didn't want to get another Prius; I drove both the Honda Accord hybrid and the Clarity but I liked the way the Clarity drove better; the car is fun to drive and has all the bells and whistles with the exception of a sunroof; I am getting great gas mileage with the hybrid engine at 60 mpg and am using the electric motor for intown driving

I love everything about my Clarity

by JLI from Silver Spring, MD on Thu Apr 19 2018

This is my first plug-in car. I love being able to drive around town using just the electric motor. All the electronics are user-friendly, and I love that the Clarity uses Google Maps and Pandora from my Android phone! The push button start, automatic walk-away lock, passenger side and back-up cameras, heated seats, and the way the windshield washer fluid comes out of the wipers are some of my favorite features. The ride feels solid, road noise is negligible, the seats are comfortable, and my 6'1" husband can sit comfortably in the front and back seats.

Excellent value and great car!

by Don from Dallas, TX on Tue Jun 19 2018

The Clarity is an excellent car overall. If you drive less than 50 miles per day, it is ideal as you will just have to charge it overnight and it will run on electric almost all of the time. The looks can be polarizing, either you like it or you hate it. I have a black one and the rear wheel design seems to be less noticeable. The drive is quiet and smooth with sufficient power. Handling is decent for an EV/Hybrid. If you are in hybrid mode with little electric range left, there will be some noise as it uses the gas engine more. You can recharge to 57% capacity while driving although there will be even more noise. It is a midsize car with a lot of room and the trunk is large although it is not a hatchback. The electric range is around 47 miles, but sometimes it has given me 62 because most of my driving is suburban and less traffic. If you are lighter on the pedal you can really get a lot of range. The closest competitor is the Chevy Volt which is probably a little quicker and has slightly more range. It can also go pure EV (the Clarity uses some gas if you floor it). The advantage of the Clarity is the size and comfort as well as it being a Honda. I also think the interior and extras of the Clarity give it more value for the money. Pros: Overall drive and smoothness, value for the money, ability to drive most or all in EV mode. Technology, Honda Sensing and other extras are a plus. It only lacks a sunroof. I bought the base model which is close to the touring except power seats, leather and navigation where smart phones take care of the absolute need for navigation. If you use mostly EV, you should have much less maintenance and the brakes should last longer making it more economical to maintain. Cons: Wiper blades seem flimsy, Android Auto has trouble staying connected (I will try my partner's I phone to check on that later) and for some the exterior styling may be a turn off. Note: it does have push button "transmission" which some won't like and no knobs on the radio, pure touch screen. I use the steering wheel buttons as needed. For me those are not an issue. This is a great car if you drive less than 50 miles daily and don't do a lot of highway driving (range will decrease if you drive above 70 mph). I am taking advantage of the 7500 dollar tax break which makes it a great deal. I also got a great deal on the car and my trade in, making it a no brainer. If you do drive that much: get the Accord Hybrid if you want the great mileage and power or wait on the new Insight (which is really a nice looking Civic Hybrid) with 55 mph.

Exceeded My Expectations

by PhillyClarityOwner from Philadephia Suburbs on Fri Aug 10 2018

I've been driving hybrids for about 10 years and change cars every 2 to 3 years. My Prius was too low end for me so my last hybrids were Lincoln MKZs. Before that I owned a lot of near luxury cars (BMW 3s; Acura; Infinity M; Volvos; Mercedes 300). I really wanted to go full electric or at least plug in. After much research I decided that the electrics were either too low end (Leaf), quirky (Bolt, BMW i3), too short of a range and just not practical for the East coast. Saw the Clarity Plug In commercial and it looked like the perfect solution overall - midsize; good 47 mile all electric range; good 340 mile total range; good (Honda) build. I compared it to other plug ins on the market and I didn't think there was a better option for me. I lowered my expectations so I wouldn't be disappointed in my decision to move from a Lincoln to a Honda. I've had the Clarity for about 1 month and 600+ miles now and it has far exceeded my expectations. It's comfortable. quiet, roomy, and nicely styled. When I put it in all electric Sport mode, it is very quick, handles well and fun to drive. Almost all of my driving is full electric. I've only used about 1/2 tank of gas. All cars have their pros and cons. For example, it doesn't drive and handle like a BMW. But when you look at the whole package, it's a really great car. It's definitely one of the best cars I've owned.

Ugly but you get used to it.

by Chris from LI, NY on Mon Jun 11 2018

The rear fender is ugly but who cares? Plug in hybrids are the future. I have driven it for 1000 miles and still have 3/4 of a tank of gas. They say 47 miles on a charge but I get 55. They say 42 mpg on hybrid. With a limited sample I have been getting more than that. It has enough power, it has room for 5. It doesn't handle like an Accord, but it does handle like a Camry. Best of all, it isn't a Prius.

I will be saving a lot of money on gas !!!

by southern california sunshine from anaheim, ca on Mon Mar 12 2018

Stylish , reliable car with over 300 mile range . I will never have to worry about running out of electric charge and will drive around with out using the gas. I am happy with the safety features and saving the planet with less pollution !!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11