2012 CR-V

2012 Honda CR-V

2012 Honda CR-V

Have You Driven the 2012 Honda CR-V?

Great SUV

by ea0618 from Colorado Springs, CO on Thu Feb 22 2018

As an automotive author, if you ever wonder why there are so many on the road, and why, even with high miles, they command a premium. It's because Honda got it right. At the price point of the CRV, there is no comparison. Yes there are different brands and models, but then you are just getting in to subjective differences. The CRV rides well, handles well, looks nice (as it has some hints of Volvo in the rear lights), and the Honda reliability. As a quick comparison, a friend bought a new Jeep Renegade, also a nice car, but after a year and a half, electrical gremlins started to show up. So yes, other models might be better here and there, but as an overall package, the CRV is tops, with probably the RAV4 in a tie or a close second.

3 CR-V's owner

by Buzz from West Virginia on Fri Jun 29 2012

I've owned a 2006, a 2010 and both exceeded my expectations, however when I purchased the 2012 it has was the winner hands down. The steering, handling, ride and quietness and I might add, the gas mileage, far exceeded the previous models. Honda has hit a home run.

Uses car for Off-roading

Great car

by HappyOwner from Toledo, OH on Sun May 01 2016

Recently bought a 2012 CR-V Certified Used from Brown Honda in Toledo, and am extremely happy with the price and everything that it came with. I only have 1 star less on Exterior Styling because I think tinted windows all around the back should be a stock item, but other than that I'm happy. If you're looking for a great new or used car Brown Honda takes care of you! I've gotten both there, both great experiences.

It's no wonder why CR-V is the most popular SUV!

by Newest-CRV-Lover from on Mon Mar 06 2017

For years and years, I've purchased luxury vehicles and watched them depreciate. This time, I decided to get smart and spend 1/3 the money and boy-o-boy, am I glad I did. I've had the CR-V EX-L for about a month now and I am extremely happy with it. I honestly believe that the 2012~2016 body style was the best, so to optimize my purchase, I found a 2012 AWD with navigation, in mint condition. It looks and drives like new. Also - I found that pearl white with tan leather has the best resale. This is a GREAT car for the money!

a rerun for me

by An old fogie from Bellefontaine, Ohio on Fri Jun 29 2012

I owned a 1999 Honda CRV and use it as a trade in on a new Honda Crv. The car is very reliable and now has more bells and whistles than the old. I am very pleased so far with my new car.

CR-V 2012

by Chileno from Boca Raton, FL. on Sun Apr 16 2017

Most reliable car i ever had. use for many years never had a problem safe, and never visit the mechanics.

Loving my compact SUV!

by icemom from Turnersville, NJ on Wed Oct 31 2012

Great on gas and handles very well! So roomy on the inside..very deceiving from the outside. Controls are easy to use and well placed on dash panel. Lots of space for hauling, especially with the back seats down. I had a tailgate spoiler added to back that makes it very sporty looking. The only con I noticed was that when it rains, my brakes are very touchy and jolting until they dry out. I dont know if this is normal or not, probably going to have it checked out just incase. Overall its a wonderful reliable car!

2012 Honda CRV Review From A Unique Perspective

by ksako from Kaneohe, HI on Sat Feb 25 2012

I recently purchased a 2012 Honda CRV EX. My perspective may be unusual because I also purchased a 2011 CRV EX a few weeks earlier, so I can compare the differences in both. Both of these vehicles replaced my 1999 & 2000 CRV LX, so my take on the differences in CRV’s may be somewhat unique. Honda may have picked areas to improve on that not everyone may agree with. A few points on the good side: 1. I think they did a great job on improving fuel economy with almost no sacrifice for a gasoline powered vehicle. My 2012 isn’t broken in yet, but I’m getting 24 to 25 mpg. I know that doesn’t sound great, but I drive over a mountain every working day & end up in cities on either side. Vehicles here never get good gas mileage. Even hybrids don’t shine in mileage like they do in other areas. My 2000 CRV got about 19-20 mpg driving the same route with its 2 liter engine! The 2012 CRV has a larger 2.4 liter engine with much better torque & the 2012 CRV is a much heavier, more substantial vehicle. I think the way the 2012 CRV is geared, the benefits are greatest on flat open highway driving. I suspect the gear ratios are higher than they used to be to maximize fuel economy. When climbing hills, I deselect the ’econ’ mode & sometimes use the button on the gear shift to lock out 4th & 5th gears to compensate if needed. A green/white light indicator trains the driver on how to drive economically. All of this worked for me. I do think Honda takes CAFE seriously. 2. Road noise is diminished & ride is improved. 3. Having the standard backup camera is great. 4. The rear seats fold better on the 2012 than the 2011. Actually the 2012 CRV folds flat like a 1999/2000 CRV (the 2011 does not), with the improvement of automatic folding. 5. I think the price had actually decreased for the 2012. This is a great feat considering the weak dollar. I actually spent less buying the 2012 verses the 2011. My old CRV’s were over 20K (for LX), so the prices have not inflated at an unreasonable level even over 12 to 13 years! After all, the 2012 CRV EX is mechanically/technologically much more substantial. A few points on the bad side: 1. To me, the most disturbing development with the 2012 CRV is the steering system. The ’Motion Adaptive Electric Power Assisted’ steering (I suppose this is a steer by wire system) takes getting used to. My wife frantically called me the first day she drove the 2012 CRV & said she found herself drifting lanes while driving. She turned the car over to me and permanently took over the 2011 CRV. I tried driving the 2012 & did find myself drifting at times. The steering feels strange in comparison to the 1999 & 2000 CRV. The feedback/road feel is different. I did not think that there was anything wrong with conventional power steering of earlier Hondas. After researching how this new system is designed to work (originally on the Acura NSX years ago), I had to relearn how to steer the 2012 CRV. After a few weeks I don’t have to consciously force the steering wheel anymore. I can even easily handle the local winding roads without problems. It was a matter of relearning how to steer- but it was disturbing at first. 2. The rear visibility on Honda CRVs has gradually been getting worse since 2000 & the 2012 is no exception! The swooping back that mimics a Volvo cuts into the rear view and storage space. The RAV4 does have a more sensible rear compartment. The owner’s manual recommends not relying on mirrors only & to briefly look back before changing lanes or backing up- but this can be dangerous with limited rear side visibility. This makes the back up camera a necessity & I am forced to rely a lot on the mirrors. Misc. comments: Overall, I think the 2012 CRV is a great vehicle. The new 2012 CRV is much more substantial/complex over the 1999/2000 CRV & I do hope that reliability is not affected by the added complexity. They could have added turn signals on the mirrors- available on CRV’s elsewhere, but not in the U.S.. I wish they wo

one of the best buys for everyday use

by Oklahoman from Madill, OK on Sat May 12 2012

For me this is one of the best available vehicles for the everyday use. It really offers a lot for the money (I bought my EX-L with RES for just over 25k in Northern Texas). For the same money you won't get as much Toyota RAV4 etc. The driving experience, handling, steering, comfort are very good. The brakes could be a bit stronger. The performance of the 4 cyl engine is also more than sufficient (acceleration is more than appropriate if one shifts the automatic gears) and it gets great gas mileage (I can get 26-28 mpg in town and 34-36 mpg on the freeway). The finish and feeling inside are also very good and in my opinion close to the quality offered by German manufacturers in the compact/mid-size segment. I definately recommend the 2012 CRV. A Diesel engine (6 manual gears with ~180hp and AWD) similar to what Mazda will soon offer for the CX5, would also be an ideal option for the CRV.

update

by oklahoman from Madill on Tue Nov 20 2012

I wrote a review on my 2012 Honda CR-V EX-L earlier this year (-> scroll down). Here I just want to update my opinion. The initial performance of the engine was not so terrific but after the break-in and now 6000 miles my CR-V accelerates really well; especially from 0-50 mph, and that's the speed range I need most. I'm so happy with the engine performance that I give 5 stars now (don't forget it' remains a 185 hp - 4 cylinder, and yes I know what a BMW 135i feels like). Exterior styling was the other category in which the CR-V didn't score the maximum in my first review. During the last months I had the chance to compare the CR-Vs styling to those of its closest competitors (Toyata RAV4, Mazda CX-5, new Hyundai Santa Fe). From pictures I liked the Mazda CX-5 a lot but after having seen it from all angles at a dealership I think the CR-V is just as nice. Hyundai did a great job on the new Santa Fe; it looks very much like the CR-V in the front and somewhat better from the back. Hyundai and Mazda offer more options (e.g. HID lights, panoramic glass roof) on their models but of course this is then also reflected in the price. I liked the interior styling of the CR-V from the very beginning and that hasn't changed a bit; when it comes to interior color choices I very much like the tan leather with the mocca brown dash board; it probably gives the interior the best or most upscale look. In other categories like comfort, reliability and value-for-the-money the CR-V gets very clear 5-star ratings. The front seats and especially their lumbar support are wonderful and great for long drives. By the way I always get 34-36 mpg with the CR-V on the freeway (w/o AC) which is awesome when compared to similar vehicles. A TurboDiesel engine (~180 hp) could further improve MPG numbers, driving performance and fun. Altogether, the 2012 CR-V is a best choice and a fantastic value!

Our Take on the 2012 Honda CR-V

The current Honda CR-V is one of the best-selling vehicles in the country, let alone in the the small crossover segment, and the redesigned 2012 version doesn’t stray far from the formula that has made it so popular: It’s easy to drive, has lots of room for its size and gets good mileage.

Improvements to the 2012 Honda CR-V’s interior, cargo configurability, ride quality and standard-equipment list should keep the compact crossover atop car shoppers’ must-test lists.

What’s New
The CR-V drives more like a car now and has a new interior, but the exterior design stands out as being much more interesting than the current model. The front has a forward slope to it... Read More