1999 Honda Odyssey Consumer Reviews

4.0
Average based on 7 reviews

Great All Around Vehicle

by from Griffin, GA on September 4, 2010

This van is a great all around vehicle. Not the sportiest exterior design, but, heck, it's a minivan. Great people mover - seats seven very comfortably. Very comfortable on long trips - even for people like me with a bad back. Take the middle row seats out, drop the third row seat into the floor and it can haul a ton of cargo. The engine is very dependable but the tranny does not last forever and Honda has replaced many of them, even well after the warranty expired as a goodwill gesture. If you have to, put in a new tranny and you're good for another 100K miles. Beats spending $35K for a new model.

Transmission Issues Galore

by from Ellicott City, MD on May 25, 2009

I have had two 1999 Honda Odyssey's and both have had transmission problems. This particular vehicle has had its transmission re-built two times and it has yet again gone bad. I am sick and tired of the transmission issues associated with this vehicle. As far as the engine and other mechanical elements are concerned, it is an absolutely reliable vehicle.

The best minivan on market

by from Chicago IL on May 2, 2011

12 years old and still runs very good,lots of space good MPG,fast ,good brakes and handling.Will buy again.

Not-too-sexy but trusty mover

by from San Rafael CA on November 22, 2014

I have this one since December 1998 as 1999 model. So if anyone counts it's 16 years. Carried me, my family and a ton of our stuff across US west to east (CA to IL) and north to south (Canada, AZ, WA, you name it). Also carried a rowing crew (all BIG people) and moved my son to/from college and a to few apartments. 135,000 miles on it, no sweat. Taking a second row out makes it a cargo van which can carry a lot. Problems: 1) tranny - had to replace one at 114,000. Cost $3,500 in CA, time and labor to install it with a friend - priceless! Sliding door getting stuck and hard to pull after not been in use for a while. Other than that - none.

The best long-distance road car I have owned.

by from Quebec, Canada on March 26, 2008

I have put over 125,000 miles on this car with no repairs beyond maintenance. It has taken me on an East to West coast trip and down I95 to Florida many times. Its long wheelbase and wide stance make it less sensitive to bumps and rough road than a sedan, and the driving position is great. It tracks and steers very well. It carries all my stuff - golf clubs, skis, computer without trouble. The noise level is too high but I can live with that.

184,000 miles and still going strong

by from Roanoke, VA on June 23, 2010

We have owned this van since it had 102,000 miles on it. Very little problems. The engine light came on. Went several times to get it checked out. One guy finally told us to replace the converter, so we did. Light is still on. It's been tested several times and the computer says there is nothing wrong with it. The past few weeks the transmission has been giving us some problems. Just found out today that the transmission fluid is supposed to be changed every single time you change your oil because there is only 3qts of transmission fluid in the van. Hmmmm.....why did the people who change oil all the time not know that? SO, now the question is do we replace the transmission or walk? We have loved this van and hate to think of getting another with maybe the same issues. Really this is the first major thing that has happened to our van.

best van ever made

by from rochester, ny on April 6, 2007

all i do is change the oil every 3000 miles and now it has 200,000 miles and it still works like new. very comfortable to drive.