1999 Honda Odyssey consumer reviews

$23,000–$23,200 MSRP range
side view of 1999 Odyssey Honda
Explore the 1999 Honda Odyssey

Love my Ody

My 1999 Odyssey is most practical vehicle ever made. It is quick. It will cruise at 80 mph all day long. It handles well and is comfortable for long road trips. It has tons of space. I get 30 mpg on road trips. Do the 3 tranny fluid drains every summer and you should have no tranny problems. Use Honda transmission fluid only. Liked mine so much, I bought another one with the 255 hp motor!

3.3

2 new transmissions before 100k miles

Love the comfort combined with capabilities. I cannot afford a new transmission every 40 thousand miles. Bought it at 7k miles, traded up for a Chevy Astro at 82k miles. The Astro ran straight through 240k miles and was traded in with a great original motor and transmission. Buy the Chevy or the Toyota.

4.4

Got 207 thousand miles now!

I had to change transmission fluid! Replacement of motor mounts at now 207 thousand miles! Still runs great and doesn't use oil! It's easy to change transmission fluid! The motor mounts still to do! Been a great vehicle with great gas mileage too! Motor mounts not so easy!

4.5

Very reliable

Its great for family vehicle plenty of room space great on gas it's also great if u wanna use it for public transportation

4.4

Not-too-sexy but trusty mover

I have this one since December 1998 as 1999 model. So if anyone counts it's 16 years. Carried me, my family and a ton of our stuff across US west to east (CA to IL) and north to south (Canada, AZ, WA, you name it). Also carried a rowing crew (all BIG people) and moved my son to/from college and a to few apartments. 135,000 miles on it, no sweat. Taking a second row out makes it a cargo van which can carry a lot. Problems: 1) tranny - had to replace one at 114,000. Cost $3,500 in CA, time and labor to install it with a friend - priceless! Sliding door getting stuck and hard to pull after not been in use for a while. Other than that - none.

The best minivan on market

12 years old and still runs very good,lots of space good MPG,fast ,good brakes and handling.Will buy again.

Great All Around Vehicle

This van is a great all around vehicle. Not the sportiest exterior design, but, heck, it's a minivan. Great people mover - seats seven very comfortably. Very comfortable on long trips - even for people like me with a bad back. Take the middle row seats out, drop the third row seat into the floor and it can haul a ton of cargo. The engine is very dependable but the tranny does not last forever and Honda has replaced many of them, even well after the warranty expired as a goodwill gesture. If you have to, put in a new tranny and you're good for another 100K miles. Beats spending $35K for a new model.

4.3

184,000 miles and still going strong

We have owned this van since it had 102,000 miles on it. Very little problems. The engine light came on. Went several times to get it checked out. One guy finally told us to replace the converter, so we did. Light is still on. It's been tested several times and the computer says there is nothing wrong with it. The past few weeks the transmission has been giving us some problems. Just found out today that the transmission fluid is supposed to be changed every single time you change your oil because there is only 3qts of transmission fluid in the van. Hmmmm.....why did the people who change oil all the time not know that? SO, now the question is do we replace the transmission or walk? We have loved this van and hate to think of getting another with maybe the same issues. Really this is the first major thing that has happened to our van.

2.9

Transmission Issues Galore

I have had two 1999 Honda Odyssey's and both have had transmission problems. This particular vehicle has had its transmission re-built two times and it has yet again gone bad. I am sick and tired of the transmission issues associated with this vehicle. As far as the engine and other mechanical elements are concerned, it is an absolutely reliable vehicle.

4.3

The best long-distance road car I have owned.

I have put over 125,000 miles on this car with no repairs beyond maintenance. It has taken me on an East to West coast trip and down I95 to Florida many times. Its long wheelbase and wide stance make it less sensitive to bumps and rough road than a sedan, and the driving position is great. It tracks and steers very well. It carries all my stuff - golf clubs, skis, computer without trouble. The noise level is too high but I can live with that.