2018 Kona

2018 Hyundai Kona

2018 Hyundai Kona

Have You Driven the 2018 Hyundai Kona?

I love driving my Kona

by Scooter from Columbus ohio on Sun Aug 26 2018

I just bought the Kona as a replacement for my 14 year old sedan. I test drove most of the cars in the class and both engine types before deciding on the Kona. I was looking for a smalle suv that didnt drive like a tank and the Kona was perfect. The standard engine is great for daily driving but the turbocharged one is so much fun to drive. It zips around with no effort and it turns on a dime like a compact car. Is very roomy in front seat which is nice for someone like me that is over 6 feet tall. The enterior is nice and logically placed. The in car screen is at a level that lets you glance at it without taking focus off road and the tech functions are easy to use. I don’t regret buying it for a second. It makes the daily commute fun again.

Hyundai Kona

by Liz C from Niagara Falls, On on Sun Jun 03 2018

This vehicle meets all my needs. Amazing gas mileage. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone! It is very affordable with many upgrades. I am very pleased with my purchase!

Great car!!!!

by Diamonds from Reno, NV on Mon Nov 05 2018

This is a phenomenal car. I’m so in love with all its features, on how techy it is and great on gas mileage. We’re a family of 5 and my husband is 6ft tall, with that being said we fit comfortable in the car; way better than the sedan we previously had. Again great car and def reccommend it.

Excellent Value and Performance

by CarReviewerLady from New York on Sun Mar 31 2019

Trim: SEL, AWD (2018) This car is an excellent choice if you're looking for AWD with good ground clearance in a small vehicle and excellent fuel economy. I have the SEL trim which comes with the 2.0L engine and 6-speed automatic transmission. I live in a city and commute through poorly paved and barely plowed farm land in New England with lots of snow and ice. This car performs exceptionally well. We have had very cold temperatures (averaging -15 degrees F one week) and my Kona still averaged 27.2 mpg when driving in mostly city and farm roads. In warmer temperature and the same driving conditions, the car gets 29.8 mpg. Strictly highway in optimal conditions is about 31.8 mpg. *My fuel economy is actually measured and not based on the dashboard readings* The transmission and powertrain take some time to get used to when going up and down steep hills. It often shifts to 5th gear with high revs to climb. However, after driving it for a month, it became more natural to optimize the revs and the car no longer lagged up hills or revved excessively. It was a transition for me since my previous car had a V8 engine. Although it certainly isn't a fast/powerful car, it performs very well overall and the power will get you up hills. The handling is exceptional no matter the condition. It drives wherever you steer it, even in wet, sandy, icy, or snowy conditions. I've even given coworkers rides when their Subarus weren't able to handle the snow (through ice, 8 inches unplowed, mixtures, etc.) and I have the stock tires. Sport mode is fun to drive in, although I haven't experimented enough to thoroughly review it. It improves acceleration and handling but does reduce fuel economy by 1 or 2 mpg. Normal mode is sufficient for everyday driving and gets excellent fuel economy for a car with AWD. Many people have commented that the storage space is small The Kona is one of the smallest crossovers, which makes it excellent for easy handling and parking in cities, but the downside is the smaller trunk size. The trunk is large enough for everyday items such as groceries, backpacks, duffle bags, etc. There's plenty of foot room in the cabin, and fitting four people is comfortable; thus, I usually just put the rear seats down if I have to fit large objects in the car. The biggest problem I have had is the headlight bulbs. The headlamps themselves are great but the stock bulbs barely lit 10 ft in front of me, so I replaced them with cheap H7 bulbs and they are much better. I should also mention that replacing the headlights was extremely simple. It took me less than 5 minutes to replace the low beams and high beams, which is great. Older Hyundai models were tougher to do this with so this is an excellent improvement. I think that reviewing the style is completely subjective but I have gotten many compliments on it's appearance. The more expensive trims come with a dual-clutch transmission, which is not optimal for city or hill driving, so I recommend this transmission for most drivers. It is only available with the 2.0L engine, and although it does not have superior power, it does have outstanding handling and overall performance. I recommend this, particularly if you're looking for an AWD commuting vehicle to handle sandy, off-road, or wintery (New England) conditions. It is definitely the greatest value out there for the price, particularly if you have poor driving conditions.

Fun to Drive

by RonS from Greeley CO on Wed May 15 2019

Overall I love my Kona. Limited. The 1.6 turbo has plenty of punch and has the power to pass or merge onto the Interstate without worry. It has minimal turbo lag. Seats are comfortable Interior is a little spartan despite the leather in the Limited. Corners well. Small cargo area but expected in this price range. This is a daily driver and I really enjoy driving it. No quality issues. Highly recommend this car

Love it on the highway

by RJ Carter from Longview, TX on Sat Aug 03 2019

I haven't been in love with a car in a long, long time until I bought my Kona. Blind spot sensors have saved me multiple times. Back up camera is a great feature too. The thing that surprised me the most is how aerodynamic the Kona is. When driving on the interstate I can't feel the 18 wheelers when I pass them or when they pass me. The way the car interfaces with my cellphone is amazing. I recommend the Kona

Great value, lots of tech, long warranty!

by AZdaveG from Phoenix, AZ on Tue Jun 11 2019

I wanted a small vehicle with storage space, good gas mileage, and lots of safety tech. The SEL with Tech Package gives the best bang for the buck, with auto braking, pedestrian, lane change, and cross traffic alerts, self steering, Android Auto/Apple CarPlay (voice navigation and calls/texting), and more! Plus, the seats are comfortable, the ride is nice, and having a sunroof gives a great open airy feel. It's small enough to park anywhere, too!

Awesome work car, 1.6t awd limited

by KnytLyte from Appleton, WI on Sat Jun 01 2019

I bought this car around Christmas, and I'm very happy with it. Previous car was a 2005 Subaru forester XT, this car is a definite upgrade. It's just as fast as the XT, and a lot nicer on the inside. I'm averaging almost 34 mpg as I travel all around WI, it handles wonderfully, audio connects to my phone the instant I start the car. It's good in the snow and rain, but not amazing, it's a crossover so it doesnt handle like a GTI, but if you want more fun, sport mode gives you a bit more of it. Absolutely no problems with it, only oil changes as I've already got 8k miles on it! Test drove a few competitors while shopping for a car, this is the best all around hands down.

I am very pleased with this purchase

by Maximus from Las Vegas NV on Fri Dec 21 2018

This car was a great value. Many of the safety features we wanted were included in the price which was wonderful. There were a few additional safety features we would have liked but were not available in the Kona. Overall we really like it

Great SUV

by Lcg/ie from Madison, wi on Thu Aug 15 2019

I have the Ultimate 2019 Knoa and It's a great car, gets 33 mpg in town and 35 on the road, but it has no back hatch release, wish it had. I miss that greatly. Other than that I'm very satisfied with the SUV nice size easy to handle and has quite the pick up and go!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20

Our Take on the 2018 Hyundai Kona

The verdict:

The all-new 2018 Hyundai Kona is distinctively styled and feels light and agile, but it’s more a hatchback than a small SUV.

Versus the competition:

The Kona’s lower stance mimics the Toyota C-HR’s, and its nimble driving manners are reminiscent of a Fiat 500X. Meanwhile, the Chevrolet Trax has slightly better ride comfort, while the Honda HR-V is more versatile.

The subcompact SUV class has stretched the definition of sport utility vehicle more than most. Some entrants, like the C-HR, offer a carlike ride height and skip all-wheel drive (it’s front-drive only). The Kona at least offers all-wheel drive, making it easier to think of it as an SUV, but its low ride height and overall shape call to mind a more traditional small hatchback.

Our test car was a front-wheel-drive Kona SEL with a $22,405 as-tested price ($980 destination charge included). See how the Kona’s specs compare with the Trax, HR-V and C-HR.

How It Drives

The Kona’s driving experience impresses in many ways. It’s easy to maneuver in the city and secure at highway speeds... Read More