1998 Sonata

3 out of 5 stars Interior Design
4 out of 5 stars Reliability
4 out of 5 stars Performance
3 out of 5 stars Exterior Styling

Have You Driven the 1998 Hyundai Sonata?

Dependable cheap transportation

by On my third Korean car from Minneapolis, MN on Tue Feb 13 2007

My Sonata was eight years old at the time of purchase. It had 70,000 miles at the time and I've put on 3,000 so far. Basically it is what it is. Seems to run and drive just fine with minimal attention needed other than regular maintenance. Could possibly have the cheapest plastic ever put on a car though. Inner fender wells are cracking away. Some interior pieces are broken. Three trim pieces on the body are coming loose. It would be four, but former owner stuck a bolt in one. Very reliable and that's what matters most. I'm sure I'll drive it into the ground one piece at a time.

Our Take on the 1998 Hyundai Sonata

This town is in the wrong state. It should be in Louisiana, where French-speaking people would at least pronounce its name correctly. The folks here call the place "Bell Fountain" or "Bellfontin," stripping the name of any romance.

That's too bad, because this is a neat little town, plopped in the middle of rolling farmland, a bit more than three hours south of Detroit.

I arrived on a Sunday afternoon, when there was little to do except pray and drive, which appear to be the main pursuits in these parts on workweek's eve. I drove a 1998 Hyundai Sonata GL sedan, a spanking-new rental car of which I had modest expectations.

I wasn't disappointed.