Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2014 Sonata Hybrid

2014 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

2014 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

4.4

Have You Driven the 2014 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid?

THE BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK!

by Ray V from OHIO on Fri Sep 09 2016

OK LETS START OFF W/ THE MAIN REASON ONE PURCHASES A HYBRID MILEAGE! WE BOUGHT OURS IN SRING 2015, END OF YEAR MODEL 2014 BRAND NEW. NOW OWNING IT JUST SHY OF 1 1/2 YEARS. AT FIRST DRIVING MPG WAS LIKE OUR LAST SONATA 2013 NON HYBRID 36/38. NOW UNDERSTAND HIGHWAY AT 70/80 MPH IS NOT GOING TO GET YOU THE BEST GAS MILEAGE ON ANY CAR. HIGHWAY FOR GOOD GAS MILEAGE IS UP TO 65 STEADILY. SO 36 CITY 38 HIGHWAY AT FIRST NOT AS ADVERTISED BUT GOOD. NOW MORE LIKE 38/42 CONSISTENTLY FOR THE LAST YEAR. REMEMBER ON LONG TRIPS ON ACTUAL HIGHWAY DOING 70/80 MPH 36/38 TOPS. SO AT 17 GALLON FUEL TANK AND GAS WHERE I LIVE AROUND $2.50/ GAL. IT'S BEEN GREAT. NOW I COULD GO ON & ON BUT AN UNBIAS EXPERIENCED 40 YEAR OLD DRIVER, HERE GOES. PAINT: I HAVE THE REMMINGTON RED PICTURED ABOVE, STUNNER ESPECIALLY AFTER PERIODICAL WAX, WASHED ONCE A WEEK WHEN WEATHER PERMITS. INTERIOR: THE LIGHT TAN PERFORATED/LEATHER GOOD. THOUGH FOR MORE MOMEY OTHER COMPANIES OFFER HIGHER QUALITY & THICKNESS TIRES: GOOD LOW PROFILE, RIMS ARE OK NOT THE MOST SPORTY COMPARED TO OTHERS. ENGINE PERFORMANCE: 2.4 GDI HYBRID/ PLENTY OF SPEED WHEN IN ELECRTIC MODE PRETTY SPUNKY ON TAKE OFF, THERE HAS NOT BEEN A CAR I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO PASS NOT TRYING TO RACE ANYONE. DRIVING IN SLAP SHIFT/ MANUAL NOT REALLY NEEDED ONLY TO DOWN SHIFT AND DO A HARD PASS OF A CAR. TRANSMISSION: NO HESTITATION, SLIP, OR AWKWARD SMOOTH AND EASY. THE INTERIOR LED LIGHTS(WHITE) FOR CABIN AND DOORS BRIGHT AND MODERN. LCD LIGHTING IN DISPLAY SUPER BRIGHT WHITE GLOW & BLUE MODERN & SLEEK. NAVIGATION WORKS FINE NEVER USE IT I USE MY PHONE ITS EASIER. SOUND IS LOUD & CLEAR IT'S AN EARFUL & CRISP QUALITY!!!! CABIN ROOM IS SPACIOUS FOR 4 ADULTS OR 3 ADULTS & 2 KIDS. TRUNK ROOM IS LESS DUE TO THE BATTERY IN THE BACK BUT I'VE NEVER BEEN TO THE STORE AND COULDN'T USE IT. MOST FAMILYS HAVE AN SUV FOR THE STOCKPILE DAYS. THE EXTERIOR LIGHTS ARE BRIGHT: LEDS ON TAIL LIGHTS & A STRIP IN THE FRONTLIGHTS ALONG W TRADITIONAL HALOGENS BULBS. FOG LIGHTS NICE LOOK, SIDE MIRROR TURNING LIGHTS ARE ONE OF THE BIGGEST AND NICEST I'VE SEEN ON ANY CAR! PANORAMIC SUNROOF MAKES THE TOP OF THE CAR LOOK EXOTIC, INSIDE IT'S NICE MAINLY FOR THE KIDS OR BACK SEAT RIDERS. THE OVERALL CHROME TRIM RIGHTLY PLACED ON THE OUTSIDE MAKES IT POP & STAND OUT. THE CAR OVERALL LOOKS EURO INSPIRED RACING/TOURING DESIGN. THIS IS NOT MY FIRST NEW CAR & I'VE OWNED OTHER BRANDS OVER THE MANY YEARS OF DRIVING. PERSONALLY I WAS A NISSAN MAN UNTIL I MET MY WIFE AND SHE HAD THE OLDER BODY STYLE FROM 2006. HYUNDIA HAS REALLY UPPED THEIR GAME TO COMPETE W/ ALL THE OTHER LEADERS OF THEIR CLASS. HOWEVER FOR THE MONEY SPENT TO GET A LIMITED TOP OF THE LINE HYBRID/SONATA COMPARED TO THE OTHERS APPLES TO APPLES I SAVED ABOUT $5000. NOT TO MENTION THE WARRANTY IS LONGER THAN ANY OTHERS. I'M NOT SAYING THIS IS THIS BEST CAR BUILT BUT FOR THE MONEY SPENT THE QUALITY, LOOK, PERFORMANCE, MPG, RELIABLITY, SHOW ME A CAR WITH EVERYTHING I GOT FOR $5000 LESS. NO MECHANICAL ISSUES OR RECALLS SO FAR. PS I OWN A 2007 HYUNDIA SANTA FE BOUGHT IT NEW, NOW HAS 175,000 MILES ON IT. NEVER HAD ANY MECHANICAL ISSUES, OR BREAK DOWNS. AC BLOWS COLD JUST LIKE THE DAY IT WAS PURCHASED.

Very nice economical car, better than Camry/Accord

by NS from Bergen, NJ on Tue Aug 26 2014

In my opinion, this is the Best car in comparison to Camry, Prius or Accord hybrid vehicles. This 2014 hybrid model is giving 46+ miles per gallon on highway while doing 65 miles per hour because my commute consists of mostly highway driving. For local city driving, it is giving 47+ miles per gallon. I have already driven more than 1000 miles; I still love this car. I was a Toyota's loyal customer and had four Toyota vehicles in last 10 years. I am glad, I did not buy Camry or Accord this time. Thanks to Hyundai Engineering team for this car!

Simply superb!

by Family Driver from Herndon, VA on Thu Apr 17 2014

One of the best cars I've driven. Spacious cabins. Excellent mileage - ~40 (city+highway) - Stylish design - Panoramic sunroof.

Loving my Sonata!

by MGWagner from Denver from Denver, Colorado on Wed May 07 2014

Well my grandson said-Meemaw dont you think that's kinda flashy? I love the car-the seats are a little stiff but still very nice-very roomy and with lumbar support and heated seats and many electric adjustments I have lots of options. MPG around town is 28 and on highway quickly gets to cruising in the 33. The power is smooth and more than adequate. The features are so numerous and the hands free does a multitude of things for max safety and convenience-things found in much more expensive cars. It even keeps track of hours on the road-cumulatively- I have 57 hours! Cant wait to take a road trip-but every day is a pleasure in this car!

A Super Car

by Berry Sonata from Carver, MA on Fri Aug 08 2014

The Sonata Hybrid is a super car. It is not a Corvette but it can be quick. However, it's shining point is its fuel economy. It best mileage is advertised in the low 40 mpg range. Out of the box our Hybrid started pulling numbers in the 46/47 mpg range around town. My practice is to immediately dump the factory oil replacing it with Mobil 1. With only 150 miles on the car was getting a solid 49/51 mpg around town. Yes, we do drive conservatively aiming for good mileage and I am sure that our results are not pro-typical, but the 50 mpg range for a new car is fantastic. We can not wait to take it on a trip. The car handles like a much bigger car (variable rate steering helps) with sure straight breaking. Exceptionally comfortable to drive. The only criticism would be the front passenger comfort. The seat is very low and non adjustable leaving the passenger to strain to see around them. Other than that it is a super car that is a joy to drive. Even though it is a bit pricy, we would highly recommend the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid.

Great car - Great value for money

by Sundar from Plano, TX on Sun Oct 12 2014

I was deciding between the Sonata Hybrid and the Nissan Altima and finally settled on this one primarily because of the price, Mileage and great interiors. This is a great car overall with good mileage (I get about 37 local and 40 highway) and our primary driving is local to schools and other chores. This is by no means a performance car and people who buy this do not buy it for racing from 0 to 60 in 5.7 seconds. This is a family car and is a comfortable ride for four people and rides quietly in city conditions. Since I bought the Limited version, I have the navigation and the 7" touch screen which we love. The interiors are something that is very different and nicely laid out compared to an Altima or an Accord. Again this is purely individual perception and this is just my opinion. We all know the Hyundai has come a long way with respect to quality, but the reason I gave this a 4 star is that the third week we had a minor issue with the car and had to take to the dealership. The TPMS was showing an alert and was finally diagnosed as one of the wheels not seated properly in its rim and they had to re seat the particular wheel.. Though I was not charged anything, I spent about an hour and a half at the dealership and would consider that as lack of QC / reliability. If I have to point out another issue, it is with the passenger seat height adjustment. For some reason, even with all the available packages, there is no height adjustment for the passenger seat and feels like you are sitting in a pit. Overall - great car

As smooth as feather where it comes to comfort

by Steve Moses from Nova Scotia on Sun Mar 19 2017

I own Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 2014 and I am proud of it. Very good car with great comfort and luxury. Gas mileage is super excellent as good as 4.5/100km on summer and 5.5-6/100 in winter due to extra traction. I love the quiet cabin and thanks to Hyundai for the luxury design.

Best car I have ever had

by Lauren from Columbus, Ohio on Tue Feb 13 2018

Love my used Hyundai sonata hybrid. The first time I seen this car I just knew I had to have it. The gas mileage is not what I thought it would be but it's better than a regular sedan. So far I still love my car.

The Sonata Hybrid

by Bob from Western Canada - Frequent trips to Vegas on Sat May 23 2015

I purchased my Sonata in August of last year, 10 months ago, and have driven it about 24700 km since that time in a wide variety of conditions including around town, on the road and several 2 day road trips. Milage has been good, but not excellent in comparison to other hybrids. I track every fill and my current average is 7.1 litres per hundred km or 33.1 miles per U.S. gallon. In fairness, many of my long trips are on 80 mph roads which defeats the hybrid system to a great extent. Keeping speeds under 73 mph means mileage at about 41 mpg. City driving is only slightly lower. Turning off the hybrid system when the car is cold is recommended. This removes the hesitancy during acceleration. I usually give the car 2 minutes to warm up, especially on cold days. I don't find the steering heavy as reported by others. It juste takes a bit of getting use too. Interior comfort is excellent except for the lower passenger seat in front. My wife complains about sitting too low so she needs a cushion. A power seat with up/down option would have solved this but it was not available, Also, the rear seats do not fold forward, leaving you with only a small passthrough for things like skis. A roof rack solved that. I bought the car for the warm beige interior and have not been disappointed. It is easy to keep clean and all the buttons and gadgets are fine. The navigation system seems to get confused once in a while but no worse than any others I have used. The exterior constantly turns heads in parking lots, its classic styling eliciting the same response as cars did in the old days. From an economics point of view, the hydrid system does save you money monthly which helps lessen the impact of those monthly payments. This is very much a full sized car with 199 hp so don't expect best hybrid mileage. It has power to spare when passing on a two-lane road and rides solidly like the Buicks of old (of which I had several). It holds the road in the wind, rain and snow (with snow tires which I recommend). Running tires at higher psi definitely helps summer mileage. The entertainment system is top notch. You could leave the vehicle with your ears ringing if desired. Overall, the 2014 Sonata Hybrid (no changes for 2015 I understand) has proven to be a reliable, comfortable and efficient vehicle leaving me with no regrets.

So Far, So Great !!!

by HybridGuy2014 from Montville, Ct on Mon Jun 15 2015

Everything Pleasing, MPG's, Drive Experience, Looks, Happy So Far !!! Turn Off AC Around Town, On,...On The Highway...."Better Gas Mileage", Also Inflate Tires to 40 PSI. !! As Owners Report "Lurch", on 1st Start Up & Drive Off,...I Have this Too...!!... Will Try Disengaging the "BlueDrive" & Letting Car Warm Up a Minute...Before Driving...??! Roll Down 2 Passenger Windows About 2-3" with AC Off To Save Gas Mileage ! Minor Issues, 1st Month,...Emergency Brake Adj., Rear Right Bumper Loose, & Window Chrome Stripping Needed Water Spots Buffed Out. All Else Great So Far !!! Very Happy with This Car !! Getting 39-42 MPG's. !!

1 2 3